2D library...

etabubu
Unregistered

Hi,

since I bought my first Mac (PowerBook G4) last summer, I moved almost my tasks from the PC to this beauty. Last thing I left there is my game development environment.

I have few years of experience in game programming using C, C++, OpenGL, SDL and other suff. I already started to learn Cocoa, but now I would really like to create a game on the Mac.

Since my ideas are about a 2D game, I was wondering if there is a 2D library for Mac OS X that uses today's graphic hardware technologies. I know that I could do everything with OpenGL with a 2D projection matrix, but I don't want to waste time on those things.

I would use SDL, but it does everything in software, I would skip it.
Cross-platform is not a priority for me.

On PC I use HGE, a clean and small 2D library based on DirectX.

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance,
etabubu
Quote this message in a reply
Believe me: OpenGL is your best option. It's also very easy to use. All you do is set up your 2D projection matrix once with glOrtho, then put your sprites on quads as textures. You can put your ground tiles on large quads with the texture set to repeat. That's it.
etabubu
Unregistered

Been there, done that.

My problem is that I don't have much time to spend on it and I just want to work on the gameplay and features. I already spent many years on learning OpenGL (I even wrote an entire GUI system) and I don't have the will to go through it again.

So I was looking for a library that could provide me with ready-to-use sprite management, particle effects, collision detection... the usual things, but still allowing me to write code on a low level (I mean, no Unity or other game creation tools).

I took a look now at the Torque 2D Game Engine, but there's no way to get an evaluation version. They just want you to pay 100$ to get it.
Having already bought the Torque Game Engine (3D) many years ago, I don't want to make the same mistake (the source code was a big mess, no docs, no nothing).

Thanks anyway!
Founder
>So I was looking for a library that could provide me with ready-to-use sprite management, >particle effects, collision detection
Sounds like the library CocoaBlitz (RIP) by Kelvin. Hear that "he was working on a newer much faster one though."

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
This 2D engine is exactly what I'm looking for right now. I think I am going to go the straight-up OpenGL route, though maybe I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I need to learn how to do some of those low-level things, like hit detection, etc. My engine needs are very, very basic - a couple stones sliding on ice and hitting each other, then calculating a score based on where they end up. I just need smooth control of the camera, zooming in and out, moving around the game board quickly and smoothly; I think OpenGL will be my best bet.

Any tips on how to get user input in the easiest fashion? I want to concentrate on my gameplay, too - the visuals will be very basic for now, I want to do some fairly innovative, possibly difficult to pull off mouse gesturing, and I don't know how to really start with that. Tips for interaction with the user, anybody? How to store or transform those mouse movements effectively?

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
I'm not entirely sure how usable it is nowadays, but it sounds like SpriteWorld might be what you're looking for.
etabubu
Unregistered

Thank you ThemsAllTook, that looks almost exactly what I was looking for!
I will give it a try as soon as possible!

Thanks to all the others too,
etabubu
etabubu
Unregistered

I think I found all the existing 2D engines for Mac written in C/C++.

I would say that the most interesting are:

- ClanLib: cross-platform, very active, OpenGL hardware acc, free.
- PTK: low level, OpenGL hardware acc, 215$ license
- Torque2D: cross-platform, script driven, OpenGL hardware acc, 100$ license

I chose ClanLib because it's free and it has that level of abstraction that I need. It is also very well designed and written in C++.

Just to let you know...

Bye!