Best way to Tile Textures?

I'm updating all the textures (and the maps themselves) in the dim3 demos. I've found some very nice digital (and free) textures, but none of them tile. Is there any freeware/shareware programs that can create tiling (I assume by some kind of slow morph)? Can programs like GraphicConverter do this?

I understand this process would be quite complicated, and my art skills are ... well ... not great Smile

Also, if there is anybody out there will good, high-res digital (preferably) textures that would like to loan them (single-use, with credit) for the dim3 demo, I'd love to hear from you.

[>] Brian
Quote this message in a reply
This is all usually done in photoshop, but I'm sure that there's a way in the GNU image manipulation program (Gimp).

You offset x and y on wrap, so what was the edges is now in somewhere within the pictures, and the current edges are now tile-able. Now, use the Auto-clone stamp tool (or similar) to smooth out the creases.

DanLab's done an excellent tutorial here: http://createmacgames.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91
Its exactly the same in Gimp.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Sage
I've been using these two I found online somewhere. They were listed as free textures and I like them a lot
http://www.simrealitystudios.com/freebies/brick.png
http://www.simrealitystudios.com/freebies/ground.png
Getting a photo-source texture to tile is just the first step. Often the trickier bit is adjusting the overall luminosity and reducing obvious repeating "land marks".

There's an article on Gamasutra that discusses some good techniques: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010523/hajba_01.htm (basically, the high-pass filter is your friend).
Thanks, guys, I'm poor at it, but this thread has helped me quite a bit. I was able to put together some OK tiling texturing to improve the dim3 demos ....

[Image: shot2.png]

You can see in the red brick how I faked tiling by putting fill seams in some of the breaks Smile

Sadly, I don't have photoshop, the best tool I have is GraphicConverter (which I love), so I cut-n-paste to create the "offset", otherwise it works fine.

Next question: I added an auto-normal-map generator, it does these steps:

1) converts to gray scale
2) finds the normal for the gray scale height with sobel x/y
3) creates the normal map

It works great for things like the dark/red bricks, and the metal, but poorly for the tiles on the curved arches. Is there a good filter in GraphicConverter that can darken up the grout areas of the tiles?

[>] Brian
Oldtimer
Quote:Is there a good filter in GraphicConverter that can darken up the grout areas of the tiles?
Hit Cmd-L (or Picture->Levels). In the bottom left, you'll see the histogram of the image. My guess is that it will be balanced to the right, and very low on your left. What you want to do is to drag the left (black) little arrow towards the right, until it points rougly to where the diagram "begins". That should improve contrast in your image quite a bit, and is probably what you're looking for.
I'd do a find edges, and invert it.
• Filter -> Stylize (CI) -> Edges
• Filter -> Color Effect (CI) -> Color invert.
Works in Graphic Convert 5.7, and CI stands for Core Image.

[EDIT] Actually, ignore that and go for what Ivan said. It'll hold up with the stuff in between too.

Photoshop or Gimp really helps here. I use Photshop Elements, and I can still do enough stuff to heal over the gaps and offset. In fact, the stuff that elements misses out are either in Gimp (like the Pen tool) and I don't really need the print stuff and CYMK Wink Copy and paste really doesn't cut the biscuit.
Fenris Wrote:Hit Cmd-L (or Picture->Levels). In the bottom left, you'll see the histogram of the image. My guess is that it will be balanced to the right, and very low on your left. What you want to do is to drag the left (black) little arrow towards the right, until it points rougly to where the diagram "begins". That should improve contrast in your image quite a bit, and is probably what you're looking for.

Perfect! Thanks, Fenris, that did the trick, now the moving lights really play nice shadows against the grout. Thanks to everybody that helped me!

[>] Brian