iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Might want to fix the "the The OMG" typo in the first sentence. Smile

Congrats everyone. Grin !

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
Shouldn't it be "OMG Cup 2005 Finalists announced?"
oh for the love of god... I'm one HUNDRETH of a point away from placing???? What sort of nonsense is this? Thats ONE vote! -=sigh=-
Carlos, my only request for next year is that you re-look at the IP voting thing. I had a dozen friends who couldn't vote in this competition because of university router IP issues, and for the love of god, I would have placed in the finalists.
Whoops!
/ : <

But on a happier note, thank you for all the time and resources you've poured into this. I definitely feel like I'm a better developer from this process. Its not all sour grapes. ( =
dfmoore Wrote:oh for the love of god... I'm one HUNDRETH of a point away from placing???? What sort of nonsense is this? Thats ONE vote! -=sigh=-

To be fair, your game did fail to run for :sneaky:someSneaky people. Them's the breaks. Sorry.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
cimot
Unregistered

Wow the 6 finalists is all great game. Congrats guys

I want to give a bit comment about 2005 OMG Cup, is not a critic, just something to share.
I know public vote is very usual in game contest.. almost game contest use this term, but some how it cannot be as objective it can be.. say it gameplay is the criteria.. let face it, some who vote don’t know what is gameplay description , it just because they are somebody friends and they will vote for certain game with high rate, or maybe more worst… they able to gave bad rate for other competitors…so the result may not satisfied some of the contestants…
Maybe to let the official judges to vote for the best game is better, cause they know what criteria should be judged and they are more objective than public voters.. but I don’t know about that.. because the judges need to try all the games LOL if it is about 50 games maybe is ok, but if it come to 100 games.. that’s hard work LOL
For me I’m very satisfied with my game result, and for sure I know what makes other games is better than mine, I think that is the most important thing for developers , we need to know how good is other game creation(their gameplay, sounds, graphics, idea etc), even though you are finalist I bet you feel deep inside your heart there are other games better than yours in some criteria.. this is the spirit of a contest.. this is what make developers got better & better result with their future creation.. so for anyone who are not finalist please don’t be upset, let say public voters is the 1st judges, 2nd judges is the official judges, there are 3rd judges by the way, this 3rd judges is whoever who grant you any complements & critics for your game, so just listen to the 3rd judges .. complements is what makes you feel happy & critics is what makes your game better is future.Wink
Luminary
I don't think you should be complaining, dfmoore -- your game's voting distribution is highly suspicious. The contest is supposed to be a gameplay contest, not a popularity contest. Sitting on iChat with "Vote for my game here: give me a 10!" is scarcely "in the spirit".
Actually, the majority of 10's I got were from classmates who saw the painstaking process of making the game in the month I had. I don't think that it's highly suspicious. People in my class asked me to put a link up in my AIM so they could get to my game. wether or not they gave me a 10 was up to them. I do know that a number of them also voted highly for other games they liked.
Besides, I like this community and I wouldn't want to cheat good developers out of their successes.
But Lurie is right. thems the breaks.
Considering the downloads for most games were in the hundreds (and presumably the vote,) I doubt his classmates would make much difference unless it was his entire school.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Well, at least I have first place on all the games that scored less than 5 points. Not bad for my first time of entering a contest...

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Founder
>Might want to fix the "the The OMG" typo in the first sentence.
>Shouldn't it be "OMG Cup 2005 Finalists announced?"
Yes, Captain-Diadora Wink pointed out the error of my ways today. Please let me know of any other grammar/spelling mistakes.

>Carlos, my only request for next year is that you re-look at the IP voting thing.
Yep, I'm "game." I'm waiting for a PHP guru to step forward and write me all my custom scripts to handle everything perfectly. Grin

>I would have placed in the finalists.
"I would have been a contender!" Anyone who FINISHES a game in my book is a champion! Though that probably never soothes the person that "just" missed out.

>Maybe to let the official judges to vote for the best game is better
There are many ways to judge contests, and I think we have covered a good many of them. Every system will have good and bad points. Judges are of course great to use, but asking professional developers (in our community) to review 36 (or more) games will limit the pool of judges to perhaps a very few. (Unless you want to allow people who are involved with the contest to alos judge.)

Overall, we should consider the big picture which is: get PR (for the devs, sponsors, platform and iDG) & challenge devs to be more professional (polish, finish games). Looking at the impact from uDevGames, I think OMG Cup is off to a good start. (Knock on wood that there were fewer problems then usual!)

>Not bad for my first time of entering a contest...
I always enjoy hearing comments like that. Comments from devs that entered and gained from the experience keep ME motivated to continue iDG (since 1998!)

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Apprentice
Maybe, I'm missing something... but where do we find out our final scores?

Outer Level | Make Mac Games
OMG Cup 2005 Entry: Bullfrog
JonTrainer Wrote:Maybe, I'm missing something... but where do we find out our final scores?

They were emailed to all the developers, dude.

Apprentice
Ah, thanks. I found it -- stupid spam filter.

Outer Level | Make Mac Games
OMG Cup 2005 Entry: Bullfrog
Ahem, Carlos: "Diordna."

Read it backwards. Then spell it right. Wink

Yeah, I started using this name when I was...11 years old?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDG08 Voting Results and Methods AnotherJake 111 48,232 Mar 20, 2009 05:15 PM
Last Post: pinguoren
  3DU: 3D Game Development Contest - Results Carlos Camacho 2 12,826 Jan 8, 2007 01:47 AM
Last Post: Najdorf
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Results Carlos Camacho 11 7,275 Jul 7, 2006 11:50 AM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie
  Feedback on OMG Cup 2005 itself MattDiamond 39 15,318 Feb 21, 2006 01:48 AM
Last Post: timac
  Help with OMG Cup 2005 Carlos Camacho 32 12,388 Dec 11, 2005 05:34 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho