24 mini-contest, One binary control

unknown Wrote:To play 01:
Hold return to put up barriers that bounce the objects inside off,
Try and keep all the tetraheardron's but let the cube's go. Once its only tetraheadrons then it will get faster, until It resets the speed and add's another object.

I'm talking about distinguishing tetrahedrons from cubes. Is 01 supposed to look like this?

[Image: 01.png]
Quote this message in a reply
I think this will be the final version of Ricochet for this contest:

http://www.cloisterroom.com/ricochet/Ricochet005.zip

The game now ends if you hit too many bombs, but it is safe to ricochet other balls off a bomb.

Also you get a Ricochet bonus for number of balls hit in a shot.
Sage
geezusfreeek Wrote:Is 01 supposed to look like this?
No, its supposed to be in motion. Deciphering which is which is part of the puzzle.
Sage
http://cda.morris.umn.edu/~lemb0029/SmileDelivery.zip

I wrote this on Friday so it should be considered unofficial I guess. I'll be studying for finals today. (blech)

It requires some pretty good timing because if you mess up and start wildly clicking in a desperate attempt to save the ball you pretty much lose control.

Hint:
Pressing tap - hold quickly is interpreted as tap - double tap - hold, which translates to turn around, jump, and then accelerate. So it jumps and accelerates you in the opposite direction. Tap - tap - hold makes you jump but continue accelerating in the same direction.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Luminary
That's really neat, skorche.

Makes you wonder why games these days seem to need 27 controls Smile
Okay, final version of Brain Fry. It now has a better scoring system and gives you a break if you lose a life by slowing back down a little bit.

http://www.eng.uah.edu/~mcarthj/BrainFry.zip
geezusfreeek Wrote:Drum Thug: Ah, single-button DDR. This one is definitely the most polished game here so far. It needs to be a bit harder though. I made it through both songs flawlessly the first time.

It says "Great Job!" even if you get -1000 points. Wink I highly doubt you made through them flawlessly, (Your score is floating point precise behind the scenes) but since I didn't get some harder songs up there... you can edit one number in them to make them a lot harder. Open up for instance, Bug Surfing.dts in the Songs folder and change the note spacing from 0.50 to 2 and good luck Rasp

I was working on an internal beat recorder (for better songs without hand editing) but was having a bit of trouble with synchronization so I didn't get it done in time.

-Jon
aarku Wrote:It says "Great Job!" even if you get -1000 points. Wink I highly doubt you made through them flawlessly, (Your score is floating point precise behind the scenes) but since I didn't get some harder songs up there... you can edit one number in them to make them a lot harder. Open up for instance, Bug Surfing.dts in the Songs folder and change the note spacing from 0.50 to 2 and good luck Rasp

I was working on an internal beat recorder (for better songs without hand editing) but was having a bit of trouble with synchronization so I didn't get it done in time.

-Jon

Well, I was as precise as I am on DDR, which is good enough for "perfect" in DDR.
Nibbie
I just wanted to add some additions to my last post, as I said I was tired and forgot to mention a couple of things Rasp
If you go into the Dodge the Blue Blokes.app/Contents/Resources/Java folder you will find a pilot.txt file that will allow you to change the name that appears in the highscore, you will also find a smoked.file (pure-text) that allows you to change the highscore ^^
However I also discovered a bug in the highscore which isn't that surprising considering it was the last thing I added to the game, it simply won't display the highscore as it should be.

And as a answer to geezusfreeek, there is no end to the game, however I tried playing it this morning and have a own record of 1468 that might be considered a "good score".
Try to beat me Wink
Apprentice
my fishing game is done! although the contest is over, here it goes:
http://photodesign.com.pl/kilofer/Fisherman.sit
i haven't tested it on osx so it may have some bugs, i know it has VERY simple graphics, as i'm not a graphic, there is no highscore list right now, but i may add it later
have fun!
Sorry I didn't get a chance to enter this. I had a pretty cool idea, but I ended up with only about 4 hours of time that I would have been able to spend in the contest, and for the idea I had, a full 24 hours still would have been a stretch. Smile

If I work up the motivation, I might write it at some point outside the contest...
Sage
Nice Kilofer, quite hard but good

Smile Delivery was definitly my favorite, the rotational friction was done really well.

I forgot to mention, listen to Psy-Trance while playing my game or it wont make sense Rasp
So, I was thinking more about 1 button ideas. What about training an AI creature to behave a certain way to accomplish a goal ala Black & White. I can imagine the training interface composed of a single button. Tap fast for negative, slow for positive. Or perhaps just tap to feed (starvation for negative). When the AI is being punished or starved it'll look for new ways to earn positive feedback.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Nibbie
Kelvin: That would be a cool idea tough quite hard for a 24 h contest. Wink

01: I think I've got what your supposed to do tough it's hard, while the graphic is cool when it's still slow enough to be visible it's just a bad format to see graphics in, I love full-screen games but having to strain my eyes like that can't be good Rasp

Brainfry: While it was sure easy to get the point in the game it's just to much of them same, with a high-score or someway to kick your friends ass it would be better but the command-line stuff is holding it back!

One Button Shooter: You should've continued programming on it, right now I don't consider it a game...
And worst of all, there is only one line with score!!! Sad

Action Button Base Jumper: I never really got the point in getting higher score and stuff, except you get to skip watching while the unit slowly falls to the ground with a parachute.
After you get to about 400 meters you only watch him falling with a parachute anyway.

Drum Thug: A killer menu but I never got the game going, it refuses to load any song, it just says "return to main menu" when I press "start game"(I'm running OS X 10.3.9 if that might have something to do with it?)

Riochet: I hate having to get the black ball before you can get to level 2, it meant that I went to level 2 with -1 in life once, reminded me quite a lot of one of the games I played on my old performa.
And of course, I never managed to get those extra scores! Sad

Smile Delivery: I'll have to put this one as my favorite to but I wouldn't have minded some more graphics and when you finish the game it shouldn't just quit, at least say "wey you've made it!" or something Rasp
And actually I have to say that it's games like this that makes me understand why we use several buttons, trying to break the speed just a little and instead finding yourself accelerating like h*ll over a edge sure made it a bit more difficult, no risk, no fun LOL

Fisherman: Kinda short game and it lagged on my computer.
By force of habit I always pressed return when I wanted the rod to drop, which meant I would miss the fish because I didn't expect the "cooldown".
Tools10 Wrote:Drum Thug: A killer menu but I never got the game going, it refuses to load any song, it just says "return to main menu" when I press "start game"(I'm running OS X 10.3.9 if that might have something to do with it?)

There were unfortunately some bugs with copying the default songs into the ~/Library/Application Support/DrumThug/Songs folder.

So it doesn't find any songs and thus doesn't display any. Did you rename the application to something other than DrumThug.app ? (That's the current bug I know about)

To work around it, click on DrumThug in Finder and go "Show Package Contents", then go into Contents/Resources. Copy the Songs folder to the DrumThug folder in Application Support in your user's library folder. Then it should work.

-Jon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 4,874 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 19,502 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 13,789 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,465 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Mini Contest Ideas FlamingHairball 34 20,555 Aug 1, 2009 07:51 AM
Last Post: Oddity007