Anyone interested - quake 1 in Doom 3 engine

tinbox
Unregistered

Hello guys
1. I'm not a programmer Smile
2. I have a feeling you probably get this kind of post a lot. I came across a little project through the ZBrush forums called QuakeRemix which involves getting Quake1 up and running in Doom3. I like what the artist is doing regarding updating the models (in ZBrush) and thought it would be cool to try it out when done, so I asked on their forums whether it would work in Doom 3 for Mac Os X. He seems willing to do the port if he can get hold of a mac compiler or else pass the source to someone else who would be willing to help. Would anyone be interested in doing this?

Link:
http://quakeremix.com/modules.php?name=F...ic&p=26#26

Thanks for reading
tinbox
Quote this message in a reply
Oldtimer
Spontaneously I would say that I'm not sure the source to the Mac port is available - that's owned by Aspyr. But I don't know. Smile
Sage
tinbox Wrote:He seems willing to do the port if he can get hold of a mac compiler...
Let him know that Xcode is 100% free. He can get a copy at http://developer.apple.com. He just has to register (also free) and then he'll have access to downloading it.
tinbox
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies guys.
I was presuming he also meant getting his hands on a mac or getting someone who has a mac to help out Smile I also presumed Quake 1 code was open source now?
Thanks
tinbox
Oldtimer
Quake 1, yes. But not the Mac port of Doom 3, but hell, what do I know? Smile
I highly doubt Doom 3 source code is open source, since the game is still for sale, and is still being licensed by id. I suppose its possible to get Quake 1 ported to Doom3 engine by way of mod tools, which will be found on the PC only and should move over to Mac Doom 3 with a simple installation of content only. In theory thats how it should work.

Doom 3 SDK
Quote:The Code is where all the real fun starts to happen. The Doom 3 SDK comes with pretty much half the source code for the game. I will briefly go over the major portions in the SDK, and touch on some subsystems that are in the main engine.
tinbox
Unregistered

Sorry guys as you can guess, I don't really know what would be involved but yes, I presumed it would be a mod in the same way Old Skool for UT allows me to play Unreal1 in UT99.
But I guess I was posting in the hope someone might be interested enough to get in touch with him. I don't even have Doom 3 for mac (tried the PC version, didn't like it much, sold it!!), but I would certainly buy the mac version if I could play Quake 1 with updated models and textures Smile
Cheers
tinbox
⌘-R in Chief
Of course the code for Doom 3 isn't open source, but that doesn't matter. The SDK is open source, and that's all you need.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Doom 3 source code released PowerMacX 3 6,077 Nov 25, 2011 01:19 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Quake .md3 character file format FreeKQuency23 1 4,892 May 26, 2006 06:52 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Quake 3 SDL Port needs mac coder TTK_Bandit 1 2,952 Sep 23, 2005 08:46 AM
Last Post: TTK_Bandit
  Doom 3 engine Duane 10 7,827 Mar 17, 2005 10:40 AM
Last Post: kelvin