OMG in the News

Founder
Anyone want to give me the gist of this page's mention of OMG?
http://macnytt.se/news/9323

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Michi
Unregistered

Carlos Camacho Wrote:Anyone want to give me the gist of this page's mention of OMG?
http://macnytt.se/news/9323

Here's a quick, completely unauthorized, translation:

Voting in the "OMG Cup" commences today
MacNytt (MacNews) checks out this year's entries (updated)

The game developer community iDevGames usually holds an annual game programming contest named uDevGame. This year there's also a different(?) competition named OMG Cup, where "OMG" stands for "Original Mac Games". It seems like OMG Cup replaces uDevGame this year, but is in essence the same thing; the same arrangers and the same prizes.

Today, the first of December, the voting period starts, during which anyone can download and try out the competing entries, and then score them to select the worthiest winner.

2004 was a miserable year for uDevGame, with hardly any interesting games to vote for, even if Kill Dr. Coté (now known as Kill Monty), the winner of the contest, wasn't all that bad. This year, however, I'm happy to write that there are plenty of promising games among the entries!

I was about to write a little about the highlights, but I didn't have time to test them all before my computer broke down. Now I'm going to spend the night getting it back in order. The rest of you can always check the entries in the meantime =)

Update:
The computer runs and these games are worthy of a download and closer look:

N-Ball
Bounce about on sticks with a ball. Has to be played. Will absolutely win something. Throw in a catchy dance/techno-soundtrack and this is complete.

Tracktor Beam
(Whose beautiful icon illustrates this article.) Small but pretty arcade game where you fly a spaceship and transport boxes from point A to point B. (Antimatter is another entry using almost the same idea, but that one was neither as fun nor as good looking.)

And Round Again
For everyone missing the old classic Pipe Dreams. Here the goal isn't to build a way for water, however, but to create closed pipe-circuits.

Zomb
RPG-ish game where you kill zombies. Reminds a lot of World to Conquer from uDG 2003, both in looks and with the nice music.

Illuminations
Crystal Quest meets Kill Monty. Fantastically nice effects, but you tire pretty quickly since it is too easy and too confused.

Pakimono
Too sick not to be mentioned. Japanese tourists try to take photos of the famous mermaid statue in Copenhagen, and your mission is to run naked over a highway and throw yourself in the way of the picture. The more of the sight you block with yourself, the higher your score.

Some semi-interesting games:
Gooey is the puzzler which exclusively uses Aqua dialog components, N0x35C49E is a space shooter with ASCII-graphics only, and Nanobot has nothing to do with the fantastic uDG-winner Kiki the Nanobot.

There was also this comment by, I presume, the author of the article:

(Sorry for the bad quality of this article. I had only typed half of it and had to finish it on a computer with the world's noisiest CRT monitor, porridge in the keyboard, and at the same time as I was reinstalling my system. But it's cool, I'm tough.)
Founder
Thanks for the translation!

>2004 was a miserable year for uDevGame,
OUCH!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
Here's another "ouch"
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000867070397/
Quote:"Mac" "Gaming"...

Now if that isn't an oxymoron then I dunno what is...lol

Quote:That said, I tried three of the OMG games, and they... um... suck. I weep the loss of Halo more today than ever...
Yikes!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
You know, for the people that say that the OMG games suck or whatever, I'd like to see them make a better game in 6 weeks.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Notice how Jago is the only person in those comments who is saying stupid things about games on the Mac. Everyone else is defending the platform and making rational, logical arguments. Don't let one really noisy idiot drown out the quieter, more intelligent folks. Smile

The person who wrote the first article seems to have terrible taste in games. 2004 was a bad year for uDevGames? Where did that come from? The games in 2004 were absolutely amazing. Very high quality all around. Also, he doesn't even mention Outnumbered in his list of good/interesting OMG entries...
Oh, come now. We all know there are no games, let alone apps for the Mac. Rasp

As for his opinion of uDev '04, maybe they just weren't his style of games. Really, only KDC stands out in my mind...and that Qix thing no human can pronounce.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Also, he doesn't even mention Outnumbered in his list of good/interesting OMG entries...

And he doesn't mention MY game either. That clinches it! :-)

Seriously though, I was also taken aback by the comment "I tried 3 OMG games and they sucked" and pining for "lost Halo" in the same sentence. Some people sure have high expectations for free indie-developed contest entries. No big deal except then they shoot their mouth off in public.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Quote:Nanobot has nothing to do with the fantastic uDG-winner Kiki the Nanobot.

Only mention I get is negative! Cry

AGhost

P.S. On the same note, should I change the name of my game in order to prevent confusion?
AGhost Wrote:Only mention I get is negative! Cry
AGhost
P.S. On the same note, should I change the name of my game in order to prevent confusion?

Not at all. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to work on my new game BugThugees...

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Luminary
MattDiamond Wrote:And he doesn't mention MY game either. That clinches it! :-)

For the record, ThemsAllTook had nothing to do with Outnumbered. Now, I certainly felt miffed not to get a mention, but I don't think other people should get put down for feeling the same Wink
OneSadCookie Wrote:For the record, ThemsAllTook had nothing to do with Outnumbered. Now, I certainly felt miffed not to get a mention, but I don't think other people should get put down for feeling the same Wink

Oops! I knew very well that ThemsAllTook was not talking about his own game, but I see now that my wording made it seem like I was making a pointed comment about him.
I was just making a joke at my own expense. Apologies to anyone who thought otherwise.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Notice how Jago is the only person in those comments who is saying stupid things about games on the Mac. Everyone else is defending the platform and making rational, logical arguments. Don't let one really noisy idiot drown out the quieter, more intelligent folks. Smile

The person who wrote the first article seems to have terrible taste in games. 2004 was a bad year for uDevGames? Where did that come from? The games in 2004 were absolutely amazing. Very high quality all around. Also, he doesn't even mention Outnumbered in his list of good/interesting OMG entries...

He mentioned Illuminations. He clearly has very good taste in games. Smile

EDIT: Oh, and another mention.

"You may recall that the OMG (Original Mac Games) Cup is a competition to "encourage unique Mac game development." Entrants were given only six weeks to create fun games for the Mac. Well, the deadline for entries is now over and public judging has begun.

And what that means is 36 free Mac games for you to play.

Honestly, most of the games don't look or sound all that great. Except for Pakimono, which has you running naked in front of Japanese tourists' cameras as they try to take photos in Copenhagen."
Founder
>That Pakimono game almost makes me wish I had a mac.
from http://www.tigsource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=302.
Cool.

>I'd like to see them make a better game in 6 weeks.
Yes, many people often miss that part. They think Halo grows on trees or on store shelves.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:N-Ball
Bounce about on sticks with a ball. Has to be played. Will absolutely win something. Throw in a catchy dance/techno-soundtrack and this is complete.

'nuff said Wow (sends the 1000$ check to sweeden... Ninja)

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Posting News on uDevGames Carlos Camacho 8 6,679 Mar 18, 2009 10:06 AM
Last Post: Omaha
  Any OMG Cup news from MacWorld? MattDiamond 6 5,671 Jan 12, 2006 11:18 PM
Last Post: aarku