OMG CD Proposal

It would be cool to take the entries from all past-present contests, make a dvd and sell it as the "Original Mac Games MegaPack!" 300 original mac games for 19.95$! Might sell well.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Quote this message in a reply
Najdorf Wrote:It would be cool to take the entries from all past-present contests, make a dvd and sell it as the "Original Mac Games MegaPack!" 300 original mac games for 19.95$! Might sell well.

Yes it would, but as there are a lot of people who have participated on this contest, I assume that every developer will get around 0.5$ for each sold DVD... If they pay us at all Rasp

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Quote:It would be cool to take the entries from all past-present contests, make a dvd and sell it as the "Original Mac Games MegaPack!" 300 original mac games for 19.95$! Might sell well.

Sorry for going off thread topic.

Not all the contest entries are of a standard I would expect to pay money for. A lot of the games are only a single level or missing great chunks of post contest versions.

An important factor you have to remember when physical items are being sold is shipping cost.

Just today I had to pay £12 shipping for 2 DVDs at £29.99 each. A very poor goods to shipping price ratio for me Sad
I would expect no pay, but the exposure would be great. If everyone is given a chance they could add links to current websites or at the very least email addresses for players to get access to either full pay versions of the games or other pay games. Free advertising and Carlos may be able to go in the black on this site for once. (maybe) At the very least there could be a pamphlet (digital or physical) that lists the games, the developers, the websites, and maybe even other current games available from them.

This has been discussed before, though, and I'm sure we'll see it discussed again after the OMG contest is over.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
This topic has came up several times before, but has never gotten going due to logistics (who does all the work for this? volunteers are unreliable) and people moving on to the next shiny looking topic to talk about.
Quote:Yes it would, but as there are a lot of people who have participated on this contest, I assume that every developer will get around 0.5$ for each sold DVD... If they pay us at all

Of course any profits would be for idevgames.

Quote:Just today I had to pay £12 shipping for 2 DVDs at £29.99 each. A very poor goods to shipping price ratio for me

for americans (the big target) it's better I guess.

I would probably pay 19.95$ for 300 games, also if they aren't all high quality.

Quote:This topic has came up several times before, but has never gotten going due to logistics (who does all the work for this? volunteers are unreliable) and people moving on to the next shiny looking topic to talk about.

Oh look there, a quarter!

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Quote:This topic has came up several times before, but has never gotten going due to logistics (who does all the work for this? volunteers are unreliable) and people moving on to the next shiny looking topic to talk about.

Excuse the rant but, back in January 2004 when this subject was first mentioned I did all the research into costs right down to the fine details for producing and handling UK / European distribution of the then proposed uDevGames CD. I know at the time others also put work into finding prices and such for Scandinavian distribution. The only item that prevented us actually going ahead was when Carlos pulled the project. It turned out that he did not notice the thread until about post 40 or so Sad. So it was not the logistics that killed it.
I suggest starting another thread, if there is to be further discussion about this, but I'm sure it won't gain full attention until after the distractions of the contest are over. Smile

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
There are lots of sites (cafepress comes immediately to mind - but there are others) that you can just upload a disk image and they will sell and ship it for you and pay you the difference over a set price. I thought that by entering in the contest you gave Carlos the right to use it in something like this - I dont think he should have to share the proceeds. Ive always hoped iDG would do something like this - Id sure buy one.