Help with OMG Cup 2005

I didn't seem to get my password :/ Waited a good 2 days as well LOL
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
>Did I do somethig wrong?
Could you do me a favor? Could you enter a website? I noticed you don't have a website in that field, that may be why your "This game was made with:" is blank. If that is the case, I'll need to fix that bug.

>I didn't seem to get my password
What do you mean? You didn't get a password to tne entrant login system? An email was sent to everyone who entered the contest concerning how to login. Two emails were sent to everyone who didn't act on this. Perhaps the email you entered with is at fault.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Could you enter a website?
Grin And it works!
Now If only I had a wesite... Sneaky

When in doubt ... read the Read Me
10.5.6 | MacBook Pro 2.5x2 | 4 GB RAM | GeForce 8600M GT
Founder
>And it works!
As I expected. OK, since you don't have a website, you can put the link to your download page or to your entry's voting page. Now that I know the bug, I'll get working on a fix.

Thanks,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos Camacho Wrote:>I didn't seem to get my password
What do you mean? You didn't get a password to tne entrant login system? An email was sent to everyone who entered the contest concerning how to login. Two emails were sent to everyone who didn't act on this. Perhaps the email you entered with is at fault.

I have talked to several people who have voted days ago and still have not recieved passwords.

AGhost
Founder
Aghost, would you happen to know if these friends/people are

(a) using Hotmail or Yahoo
(b) on your same IP

Thanks,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I know the case of (b) has been a real pain in the butt- my mac weilding housemates can't vote for me because we're on a router and therefore our IPs got blocked after the first vote. They're trying to find a way to vote on campus.. but the same problem comes up for my mac using friends in the lab--again, it just says something like vote accepted, but I dont think that means its casting a new one.

I'm sure the IP thing is there to stem abuse, but at some point, its also costing us ligit votes. I guess its all part of a balancing act... oh well.
Founder
Shunter Wrote:Did I do somethig wrong? Huh

http://www.idevgames.com/contest/downloa...hp?file=14

Whew, busy busy. I've applied a patch a few seconds ago to take care of this problem.
As you can see, http://www.idevgames.com/contest/downloa...hp?file=14
is now fine. You can remove the "dummy URL" from your website (ie. leave it blank if you don't have a website)

Regards,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Sage
My games under the wrong name in the voting section.
It should be N0x35C49E not No Escape,

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Founder
Yes, there isn't much to do about that. There is a balance between making it super hard to vote, which provides the most accurate legit votes and making it super easy to vote, but opens yourself up for ballot stuffing so to speak. Since I'm not god, I have to play it down the middle. Surely being in college, there are heaps of computers around your campus, near your campus, in your city, etc etc.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos Camacho Wrote:Surely being in college, there are heaps of computers around your campus, .

It is very likely that all internet traffic on a campus goes through one single gateway. This means that a thousand computers could all appear as the same IP address to the outside world.
Quote: It is very likely that all internet traffic on a campus goes through one single gateway. This means that a thousand computers could all appear as the same IP address to the outside world.

*nod*

Anyway, no sweat. I mean, obviously you can't do this 100% the way you wanted it, you're only human. I guess I wasn't going to place well anyways.
dfmoore Wrote:Anyway, no sweat. I mean, obviously you can't do this 100% the way you wanted it, you're only human. I guess I wasn't going to place well anyways.

This will cost you a few friendly votes, no question. But one would hope the contest is beyond the point where someone could be a finalist simply by having friends and family vote them up. Your game will still be evaluated on its own merits by a bunch of people who don't know any of the developers personally, and that's the way it should be.

As far as I'm concerned, the more "neutral" votes cast the better. My mom wanted to cast a vote for my game and I told her no- she's not a gamer and has seen the game but not played it herself. My dad on the other hand has played it extensively, and I've encouraged him to try other entries as well, so I figure that's as fair as I can be.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Absolutely- I don't think that a few friendly votes would have swung it very far at all- but the people who were going to vote were going to vote across the board for everyone's games-but with one voter per router, thats X number of voters for everyone that gets lost. I'm not just looking out for myself here ( ;
Carlos Camacho Wrote:Aghost, would you happen to know if these friends/people are

(a) using Hotmail or Yahoo
(b) on your same IP

Thanks,

Neither was using Hotmail or Yahoo, but one was on my same IP (I have 5 computers networked through 1 IP).

The other person just did not recieve a password. Does that mean their vote wasn't processed?

AGhost

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Feedback on OMG Cup 2005 itself MattDiamond 39 15,608 Feb 21, 2006 01:48 AM
Last Post: timac
  OMG Cup 2005 Results Carlos Camacho 19 9,114 Dec 21, 2005 09:24 PM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie
  Submiting OMG 2005 games Najdorf 22 9,069 Nov 29, 2005 06:21 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho