Help with OMG Cup 2005

Founder
I'd like to ask the community to lend a hand with some "chores" that must be done regarding the OMG Cup 2005 Contest.

* Report any game which is over the file size limit
* Report any game that does not run natively under Mac OS X 10.4.x
* Report any game that might include suspicious files (malware, virus, adware, etc)

* Report any typos (grammar, jardon, spelling) in the entrants detail pages (We want everyone to look good so that the entire contest looks good)
* Report any detailed info pages which are broken, or vastly affect the page (ie broken tags, outlandish font sizes, etc)
* Report any broken links

* The "name" of the link to iDevGames mirror should be "iDevGames"

* Report any game which breaks the contest rules. (a) You saw/played the title a month before the Official start of the contest. (b) Doesn't contain at least one playable level (i.e. All you get is a start screen, and not much else... that ISN'T a game.)

* Report any game that goes against the spirit of the contest during gameplay. (i.e. huge ads for larger busts, get rich scheme ads, racism, etc.)

With your help, we can be sure that the contest is a great success!!

p.s. Contact me through the forum, or email.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
OK, this isn't to report anything wrong, just a few observations:

* Neither the download page or the detailed info pages list the minimum system requirements. If the download system doesn't have a specific option to show that info, maybe it would be a good idea for the entrants to add it to the games' full description pages.
* Also, most of the games don't have screenshots, I think they are just as important as the game description itself.
* The website link listed for each entry is not a link, just plain text.
Tesa
Unregistered

Carlos, there seems to be a slight problem with the interface for updating entries.
It seems to clear the download counter every time we make a minor change in the game description/short description, which is fairly deterring towards fixing typos.

I guess the reviews are stored separately, so they won't be affected?
Founder
Hi, thanks for the comments. I'm working on fixing that update == clearing of downloads problem. Changing the websites to URLs is also on my agenda.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
For some reason, the download counter on my game has been reset. I had over 30 downloads, but now its back to 6! Will this make a difference in the voting stage (do you compare votes to downloads?) or is it minor?

AGhost
I agree that screenshots are important, probably more important than the description to attract the average gamer.

Another thing that I think is important is more attention to the contest on the homepage of idevgames, say a big sticky announcement with many small screenshots that points to the download page.

Also, in the downloads page, a very small screenshot to the side of each entry would make the page look more sexy, but that's probably too much to ask.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Someone else noted that download counts are reset whenever an entries information is changed.

Unfortunately, I never modified my entry and yesterday my download count was also reset to zero. Mad

As I mentioned to Carlos before, for the purposes of the contest the download counts should be removed for all entries. Since anyone can go there and click multiple times to "buff" their download count, the counts themselves are misrepresent the actual download count.
BTW, is the voting supposed to be up? Because when I visit the voting page I either get an expired message or blank.

AGhost

P.S. According to IMG, voting has begun. Is this true?

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=12478
AGhost Wrote:P.S. According to IMG, voting has begun. Is this true?

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=12478

No, if you read closely you'll see that voting starts tomorrow (December 1st)

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Taxxodium Wrote:No, if you read closely you'll see that voting starts tomorrow (December 1st)

Blush Oops, I definetly messed up on that one...
Founder
>Will this make a difference in the voting stage
No, the download stat is simply for your ego. Though some gamers may be apt to download games that have more downloads, but I think a screenshot & good pr text can go a long way.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
>As I mentioned to Carlos before, for the purposes of the contest the download >counts should be removed for all entries.
Downloads stat has been removed. I left the views stat on the page as I think it is harmless.

I have also taken the liberty of removing the iDevGame mirrors from all games to help conserve our server resources (however 1 or 2 games ONLY have an iDevGames' download link -- VERY BAD.)

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Hey Carlos, the description is all taken care of. terribly sorry about keeping it in limbo like that!
-dylan
Founder
>The website link listed for each entry is not a link, just plain text.
I finally got the information on how to fix it. All weblinks are not clickable. I advise anyone is simply has "www" to be sure to place a "http://" at the start of their URL.

I also changed "Developer Tools" to "This game was made with: "

>Someone else noted that download counts are reset whenever an entries >information is changed.
I think this is now resolved via a patch I ap;lied today, but since we are not displaying download stats, I can't confirm it. I'll do so once I pinpoint the reason for the server overloading. (Might be the voting script+extra traffic)

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Development Tools: BlitzMax, Appleworks 6
This game was made with:

Did I do somethig wrong? Huh

http://www.idevgames.com/contest/downloa...hp?file=14

When in doubt ... read the Read Me
10.5.6 | MacBook Pro 2.5x2 | 4 GB RAM | GeForce 8600M GT