Was the file size limit a problem?

As we approach the dying hours of OMG, I was wondering how many developers did find the 20 MB file size limit a problem in the end.
Quote this message in a reply
There's always more that you want to add... and it did get a little tight.. but really, the core goodness of a game can usually be expressed in <20 (well, <40, compressed in half!)

cheers, and good luck to everyone ( =
Masses and masses of room to spare. Tracktor Beam is about 1.5Mb compressed. I actually killed the music because it made the compressed file eight times the size, and I wasn't convinced by the track. I'm still looking for music if anyone has any good ideas.
I used Unity and added 3 (short) Ogg Vorbis music tracks, and the compressed dmg still only came to about 9 meg. So no complaints here.

(If I'd had a real artist helping me we could have added a few more meg pretty easily, so I'm glad the old 10 MB limit was raised.)

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Luminary
even at its largest, Outnumbered with 6MB of music and a 1.3MB (universal) binary never broke 11MB. By compressing the music better and stripping the executable I was able to get the size down even further (it's now 7MB total).

So, 10MB would have felt a little tight, but would have worked out OK. 20MB was no restriction at all.
Apprentice
Still don't know how could you fill all those MBs, mine is currently 100Kbytes and contains some duplicate code Smile
I had to put my music in .wav format because I couldn't get it in ogg Sad (using BlitzMax) So I could only fir one song in. Other than that, it was all fine

When in doubt ... read the Read Me
10.5.6 | MacBook Pro 2.5x2 | 4 GB RAM | GeForce 8600M GT
Shunter Wrote:I had to put my music in .wav format because I couldn't get it in ogg Sad (using BlitzMax) So I could only fir one song in. Other than that, it was all fine
Did you ask anyone for help with that? I know there are some BlitzMax entries that use ogg music, and I'm sure the authors and other people on the forum would have been willing to help.

-Jon
Founder
Glad to see we made the right decision with the 20MB limit (also goo for the bandwidth Wink )

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Did you ask anyone for help with that?
No, I had a friend on it so I thought I would be ok Wink But as it turns out I guess I should have Sad

Argh, I placed second as of minimum filesize (750 k), beaten by Evol's second entry >:(

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
aarku Wrote:Did you ask anyone for help with that? I know there are some BlitzMax entries that use ogg music, and I'm sure the authors and other people on the forum would have been willing to help.

-Jon

My entry uses ogg (courtesy of aarku.) Audacity can convert to and from ogg for you.

Actually, the music is half the filesize, and I only got up to 5 MBs. When voting starts, I think I'll pad it with 15MBs of invisible files. Rasp

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Hey, thanks
No need no trust in anybody else any more Rasp

Shunter Wrote:Hey, thanks
No need no trust in anybody else any more Rasp

The issue was just converting it to the ogg format? Check out this page, then: http://www.vorbis.com/software/#macosx . I thought you were having trouble playing an ogg from within BlitzMax, my mistake.
It would be interesting to compare comments in this thread with the thread discussing the size limit before the contest started.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDG Size Limit Rule aarku 74 23,001 Dec 6, 2008 07:44 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  uDevGames 2008 size limit ThemsAllTook 12 6,490 Dec 6, 2008 07:43 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook