How to develop my first game in Flash?

predator79
Unregistered

Hi all!

First and foremost, i'd like to say greetings to those who've been a veteran here and new user such as I.

I came across this forum, when i was searching for how to develope a game in Flash. I decided to join a forum for expanding my knowledge in game development. To be quite frank i'm new here and i do not know anything about game development. However i'm willing to learn and get any help from anyone, who are willing to take their time to guide me. I'm really interested in developing a game in Flash, more focust to Fighting game develoment in Flash. Relating to my question, is there anyone out there that could guide me in developing my first fighting game in Flash.

Hopefully those with experience in Flash MX can give their opinion on where i could learn and "How to develope my first game in Flash"? Grin
Quote this message in a reply
There are a TON of flash development sites, with lots of tutorials and things- personally when I was playing around with flash I didn't really have a preferred site, but just used these sites for references whenever I needed to know how to do anything.

The best way to proceed is do something really, really simple and build up from there. For example, you can start with making a flash program to control a movie clip with the arrowkeys. Then you will need collision detection, so alter your program so that when the movie clip comes in contact with another clip something happens, and so forth until you know everything you need to to make your fighting game- give it time and you'll get there. Again, whenever you don't know how to do something, go to the reference site. Also, before starting a game make sure you know how to make a basic movie in Flash first if you haven't played around with it before- I found jumping into making a game was way too confusing when I learned Flash before I learned how to just make a simple animation.
check out flashkit.com, especially the games tutorials:

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Games/

you may want to start with the latest and work backward:

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Games/more20.php

hth,
Codemattic
oh and also... welcome to iDG! There isnt much Flash development going on here - but you can pick up some general game knowledge by looking through the boards and asking questions.
predator79
Unregistered

phydeaux Wrote:There are a TON of flash development sites, with lots of tutorials and things- personally when I was playing around with flash I didn't really have a preferred site, but just used these sites for references whenever I needed to know how to do anything.

The best way to proceed is do something really, really simple and build up from there. For example, you can start with making a flash program to control a movie clip with the arrowkeys. Then you will need collision detection, so alter your program so that when the movie clip comes in contact with another clip something happens, and so forth until you know everything you need to to make your fighting game- give it time and you'll get there. Again, whenever you don't know how to do something, go to the reference site. Also, before starting a game make sure you know how to make a basic movie in Flash first if you haven't played around with it before- I found jumping into making a game was way too confusing when I learned Flash before I learned how to just make a simple animation.

Thank you for your time to write for my question, your point of view is much appreciated, atlest i know that there are ppl out there to help...Smile
predator79
Unregistered

codemattic Wrote:check out flashkit.com, especially the games tutorials:

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Games/

you may want to start with the latest and work backward:

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Games/more20.php

hth,
Codemattic

Codemattic, you've been very helpful to me for providing the links for reference...with the guide that you've given, i will dwell into more of the tutorial to learn more things there...thanx again!
Apprentice
you could use dim3 insteadSmile
Wow you really dug up an old post there CCCCC =D

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Apprentice
Yeah, that was kind of a leap. Don't try too much advertising.

Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Magic 8 Ball iPhone Game - How Long to Develop that ttkauffman 3 4,159 Aug 5, 2008 09:40 PM
Last Post: kodex
  How to make flash game without flash ? :) banker 5 7,929 Nov 14, 2006 09:15 PM
Last Post: vnvrymdreglage