Opinions About Torque Game Engine

Sage
I'm at a position where I have some extra money and am considering purchasing the Torque Game Engine. Here are my reasons I chose Torque:
  • Complete engine with source available
  • Add on packs to enhance engine as I get the money
  • Simple and powerful
  • Allow me to make shareware games while studying to make my own engine for later projects
The only thing I'm wondering is if anyone here has any hands on experience with Torque? Not just on the Mac (I'm getting a Windows machine soon as well) but overall. I plan to eventually get the RTS starter kit, ragdoll kit, lighting kit, and the new shader engine. Just want to make sure not to through that first $100 out the window finding out Torque is junk.
Quote this message in a reply
damn boy, where do you get this "extra money". I want in on your sources. As for Torque. I've seen it, and it looks pretty decent, but I'd personally spend the extra cash on a good solid book and finish programming my own engine. You'll come out with much more knowledge.
⌘-R in Chief
I've (unfortunately) not had the time to reeeeeally dig into it, but it's definitely worth it if you actually spend the time learning it. There's some good stuff out there written with it. I have 1.3 (I've had a license since 2002, and one for T2D since it was introduced), 1.4 is coming out within the next few weeks (they froze features and are fixing bugs), and I'm starting to fall back into the idea of using it instead of writing my own engine, especially because of this: http://www.garagegames.com/mg/snapshot/view.php?qid=962

Also, If you do get Torque, I have the RTS starter kit - I bought to help someone (who was going to pay me back) and that fell through. I think I can transfer it to you...
One major word of caution, the Torque source code is ...huge, learning it, reprogramming it, and doing something useful with it does not seem to be a one man/one license job. Oh and did I mention the purchase of and mastering the 3D tools needed to use with Torque, ie, 3DSmax, Lightwave, Maya, Blender are your options, and only Blender costs less than $500.

I've had my Torque license since may of 2002, about a week or two before finding this place I think. I think about seven people active at this site have a Torque license, either through purchase or winning it in uDev games, nobody seems to run with it.

I think Andrew Sage got it about a year ago and professed to be setting out on a grand adventure, only to post all his pitfalls and problems that amounted to face full of a brick wall.

I try talking Tobi into making iGame3D in some way compatible with Torque every few months but he's all like "our code is the genetic foundation of the master plan to rule ze verld" and all that...or was that Dr. Strange Love....
⌘-R in Chief
To be clear about why Constructor is a handy little beast, it will mean you no longer need Windows at all for any of the tools used in Torque development at all. It will mean that all of the tools are fully cross platform and there isn't any reason why using it on a Mac is any more of a pain than Windows.

You shouldn't have to learn the engine code anyway, and it is huge, but if you are adding something, you obviously don't need to learn it all. There's a huge amount of documentation (currently and currently in the works) not only on using the engine, but the engine code itself. There's a community wiki contain all of the thousands of pages of documentation, tutorials, resources etc..

A big benefit of using Torque is the networking library. It's all there, coded and ready to go. From what I've read, getting your game networked only takes a short amount of time because the entire engine was designed around being networked, and specifically with that library. (Though the two are separable.)

Did I mention there's a HUGE community? There may only be 7 people here with a license, but there's tens of thousands of them at the GarageGames website. Not to mention there are now two books on how to use it from novice to advanced. (I haven't read either, but did peruse through the first one and the second one was just release a little while ago).

As soon as I finish 1.0 of the program I've been working on for so long I'm going to start reading up on Torque. I just wish that were tomorrow instead of sometime early next year. Sad
The only major issues I ran into were that the performance on my Macs of the time was very poor compared to my current Windows computer. This more down to the graphics cards being inferior on the Macs and no really problem of Torque.

The second issue was problems compiling it to work with sound on the Mac. However I believe those issues have been resolved in their forum.

Owning Lightwave and having access to a Windows computer wiped out the content building issue some people have.

This was my thread discussing my adventures over at CreateMacGames http://www.createmacgames.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391

I thought I had started a thread about it on this forum but if I had then it must have been deleted Sad

The final straw for me that actually stopped development was the issue that no engine or development tool can solve - real world priorities kicked in.
I was a Mac Torque beta tester way back when and got a free license for my troubles but I haven't played with it in a while. Last time I checked, the Mac system code was still quite the mess and there were performance issues on OS X that couldn't be entirely blamed on inferior video hardware. The terrain LOD system was (is?) a dog on OS X as I recall. These things have likely improved recently, but be sure to run some demos/existing Torque games on your minimum target hardware before diving in. The tool situation on Mac OS X has improved over the years, but you'll definitely be happier with a PC handy.
⌘-R in Chief
I don't know the specifics, but a boatload of Mac optimizations are in 1.4.

And the sound issue is solved... has been, like... forever. Smile There's a thread in the forums that pops up now and again (did again just yesterday) with a link to a framework on my site. Just download and use that and you're good to go.
Sage
So it sounds like a pretty solid starting ground.

igame3d Wrote:One major word of caution, the Torque source code is ...huge, learning it, reprogramming it, and doing something useful with it does not seem to be a one man/one license job.
I wasn't planning on reading ALL the source code and basing my engine off that, but I don't have time right now to get all the parts of an engine in place. I want to try getting Torque, making some of my games, and coming out with my own engine (and games using it) in a few years perhaps.

volte Wrote:damn boy, where do you get this "extra money". I want in on your sources.
I found a nice client wanting music for his game.
Portland is saturated with Torque users for somewhat obvious reasons. Wink From what I've heard so far, they all seem to like it. The general consensus seems to be, it's a great place to start, but if you want to do much really creative work that's different from all the other torque games, you'll definitely end up writing some C++ in engine-land still.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
A lot of what I've experienced has already been said, but I received Torque as a prize and I found that it was way too complicated and hard to learn. It is also very specifically geared towards making an FPS game similar to the games made with the engine itself, unless you tool the hell out of it (in which case you're no better off than starting from scratch or a much simpler library.)

I definitely think you're thinking in the right direction if you want to make a reasonably complex 3d game- starting from scratch will kill you unless you have a ton of time on your hands. I think it's a much better solution to use any open-source engine (the simplest but still with enough utility to make a 3d game I found is DevLib, or you can use something powerful like Ogre3d, and just throw in your own version for other parts of the engine.
Sage
phydeaux Wrote:I definitely think you're thinking in the right direction if you want to make a reasonably complex 3d game- starting from scratch will kill you unless you have a ton of time on your hands. I think it's a much better solution to use any open-source engine (the simplest but still with enough utility to make a 3d game I found is DevLib, or you can use something powerful like Ogre3d, and just throw in your own version for other parts of the engine.
I'm building Ogre3d right now and going to check that out for a little bit. Is DevLib buildable on Mac OS X? It seems to be Windows only though I may be mistaken. I was hoping for a cross platform engine so I figured I'd ask.
⌘-R in Chief
What kind of stuff are you interested in programming, Nick?
Sage
FreakSoftware Wrote:What kind of stuff are you interested in programming, Nick?
A few different things. I have designs for an RTS game based around the 1920's mafia, a first person shooter mixed with an MMO (that's a very long term idea I'll try in about 7 years Smile), a sci-fi first person shooter, yet another first person shooter (realistic though), and a couple racing games. I'm either going to need a few different engines or one really diverse engine.
Nick Wrote:I'm building Ogre3d right now and going to check that out for a little bit. Is DevLib buildable on Mac OS X? It seems to be Windows only though I may be mistaken. I was hoping for a cross platform engine so I figured I'd ask.

It's cross-platform now, but the site appears to be down ( http://www.devlib-central.org/ )

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Torque 2D MIT Announced SethWillits 0 2,771 Jan 2, 2013 01:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Torque is R.I.P.? Carlos Camacho 10 8,224 May 20, 2012 10:22 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  My port of the HGE game engine for Mac OS X / iOS A_Pepper 2 5,535 Feb 11, 2012 07:36 AM
Last Post: A_Pepper
  Opinions On Best 3D Modeling Package & Math Libraries Macmenace 7 9,040 Aug 7, 2011 11:20 AM
Last Post: mikey
  Shiva3D Game Engine SubspaceGames 0 5,013 May 19, 2011 10:57 PM
Last Post: SubspaceGames