App posts, yes or no

Founder
We get a good number of developers ouside of our community that visit, post about their iPhone game and never come back. Most likely because they either found us via a search engine or an article that says 'Spam about your game to the following sites.' I've see such lists around.

When I read about a game that was finally release by a community member, I'm glad. More so if they received helped or talked about the project here. I'm not so keen on people coming here, post in a spam-like fashion, and then never hear from them again (until their next game). Most of these devs aren't taking the time to find out about the community or becoming part of the community. Most likely, they think this site is about reporting games and apps, not realizing that this forum is for developers. Of course, many game developers are gamers themselves.

Ok, so how do others feel? Should we leave as is? Ban them? Restrict them?

If you MOD/restrict, what criteria? For example, you need 10 posts in order to post to the Announcement board, etc.

Basically, I'd like the comunity to grow and have new faces (nothing wrong with the old faces) join in rather than 'bandwagon/fly-by-night'd evs swoop in, spam and then disappear.

Whatever you all decide, I'll follow along.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
I'd create a new forum (right at the bottom) where they can all be posted. Don't actually call it the Waste Bin, but effectively it's just a thread of no return Smile That way if anyone's interested in the new apps, they're there, just not in our face all the time. We also don't have to annoy potential new members by deleting their posts.

If it's a longstanding iDev member's new game though, then it goes in the announcement board instead.

[edit] Bonus idea

Post a minor policy notice in the board Read Me First that points out that it's understood by anyone posting info about a new game release as their first post (or if they only post about game releases) then they agree to that thread being open for an X-Factor style review by a random panel of judges (ie any of the mods).

That would both be fun, potentially constructive as long as Simon Cowell's not a mod here yet and add a new feature to the board.
I like Zwilnik's ideas on this. Have a separate forum for "drive-by" posters, and if you're an iDG member with 10 posts, you can post in the announcements board.
Founder
That sounds like a 'honey pot'

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I also like that idea. Game announcements by people that are regulars on the forum are much more interesting than a passerby looking for free advertising. Regulars will chat about their project, post about what they learned and how they did it. This deserves to be rewarded somehow.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
DoG
I say don't create a separate forum, it just dilutes things. No previous posts, no announcement rights. Treat it as spam. I have yet to see a post where it isn't obvious what category it belongs to.
Founder
Keep up the discussion please. I am finding myself agreeing with DoG thus far.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I think I'm with DoG too. I agree with Zwilnik's point that it could be annoying for new members if they have their first post deleted - but how many times has somebody whose first post is an announcement of their new game gone on to become a proper member? I don't remember any. On the other hand, if anyone can come up with a way to recruit them...
Looking at the Announcements board, I found 3 threads in the last 20 where the first poster had more than 2 posts to his/her name. Many of them had 0 posts (does that mean their account's been deleted?), and there was one long thread where a "member" has made lots of posts about his project with only one response from anyone else (another account with 0 posts). Neither of those members has ever posted outside the Announcements forum.
backslash Wrote:but how many times has somebody whose first post is an announcement of their new game gone on to become a proper member? I don't remember any.

My first post was in the announcements boards.

Post count doesn't increase in the Announcements boards, which is why some people have "0" posts.

backslash Wrote:and there was one long thread where a "member" has made lots of posts about his project with only one response from anyone else (another account with 0 posts).

That really doesn't say much. At least it got a reply. I mean, there are threads by first posters who get more replies back in that board than posters who are regular members.

Edit: Don't waste people's time creating a post to have it deleted. If you don't want them to post, don't give them access to.
It's a bit like shareware though and all about the numbers.

If we simply delete and ban everyone who does a drive by announcement of their new game then it's doubtful any of them will become members.

If we divert them to a 'safe' spot we have the small but possible chance that we might get a new member every few hundred posts.

If we make that spot a place to actively discuss and critique these titles then we increase the small chance to a still small but not quite as small chance that they'll spot the discussion, join in and consider contributing to iDev discussions that aren't just about their game.
Quote:Post count doesn't increase in the Announcements boards, which is why some people have "0" posts.
That explains that then. In that case, 8 of the last 20 announcements were by people who have contributed elsewhere on the boards at some point, which seems like a healthier ratio.
Looking at it another way, I tend to ignore the announcements board these days, because it is full of iPhone and iPad games, I don't have either of those devices. If a member whose name I recognise announces something then I'll look to see what they've been up to, but otherwise I don't bother. This may mean I sometimes miss things I'd actually be interested in, but does that mean we should risk driving people away by appearing unwelcoming? I'm not so sure any more.
⌘-R in Chief
There is another approach… Ninja
What could the other approach be? Do tell!

zgcoder Wrote:My first post was in the announcements boards.

This is a perfect example of why I lean on the side of continuing to allow drive by posters.

I too think most of the announcement posts are nothing more than spam, and dislike them. I guess what I'm thinking is that we're faced with the fact that this is a niche community and exposure is always helpful to attract new members. So to me, putting up with the spam and picking up a zgcoder from time to time is probably worth the annoyance.

Then, OTOH, this *is* a niche community, and that has its attractive qualities in and of itself, so disallowing drive by posting could be nice too. After all, we didn't need it back before iPhone came around!
backslash's last post gave me an idea. What if we separated the announcements forum into a couple of different subforums for the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and normal Mac games?

Of course, that doesn't really solve the issue at hand, but I still think it'd be helpful.

What if we made it so that posts made in the announcement forum by members with, say, one hundred or more posts, stay at the top longer than posts by members with less than a hundred posts? I guess we could go through and sticky an announcement for a certain amount of time, but that seems error-prone.

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
wyrmmage Wrote:backslash's last post gave me an idea. What if we separated the announcements forum into a couple of different subforums for the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and normal Mac games?

Of course, that doesn't really solve the issue at hand, but I still think it'd be helpful.

What if we made it so that posts made in the announcement forum by members with, say, one hundred or more posts, stay at the top longer than posts by members with less than a hundred posts? I guess we could go through and sticky an announcement for a certain amount of time, but that seems error-prone.

anything else would require more complicated coding than probably anyone would do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is there a way to access old posts? spikey 3 1,952 Jul 2, 2013 10:50 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake
Last Post: McSpider
  Can't find "new posts" feature in new forum software. I am about to start a riot. stevejohnson 10 9,391 Jul 30, 2010 07:46 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Missing posts Carlos Camacho 5 4,668 Jun 25, 2010 07:43 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  Missing New Posts BeyondCloister 3 3,718 Aug 4, 2009 10:53 AM
Last Post: backslash