OMG Cup Contest Rules

DDustin
Unregistered

I noticed in this contest:
http://idevgames.com/index.php/contest/o...g_cup_2005

The rules have this little blurb:
By entering the Contest, each Entrant consents to the use of the Entrant’s name, photograph and likeness (if an individual), logo (if any), state of residence, and Entered Game for advertising, promotion, marketing, and administration of the Contest without additional compensation, to the extent permitted by law.

I'd like to enter the contest but I am not willing to give up rights to the Entered Game for any purposes whatsoever. The other portions of the rules suggested that the winning entry would be allowed a contract to release the game at the winner's choosing. Yet this section appears to say that by entering the contest the contestant gives up rights to the entered game.

There wasn't a contact email and the FAQ suggested to come to these forums for questions so I have come here. Hopefully I am in the correct thread.
Quote this message in a reply
That's not saying you lose the rights to your game. Its just saying Carlos can brag that the game originated from an iDev contest.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
When you enter the contest, you give up the rights to the game as entered in the contest. For instance, if Carlos wanted to release a compilation CD of all of the games entered into the contest he can do so. Or if he wanted to host them on iDevGames after the contest, he can do so without getting everyone to sign forms.

What does this mean for you? If you plan to release your game commercially after the contest, you should treat the contest version as a free demo. Less levels and content, etc.

Of course, if you still don't feel comfortable entering the contest, then don't :-p This same clause was there for past uDevGames, and that didn't stop people from later releasing as paid products.
Founder
Quote:By entering the Contest, each Entrant consents to the use of the Entrant’s name, photograph and likeness (if an individual), logo (if any), state of residence, and Entered Game for advertising, promotion, marketing, and administration of the Contest without additional compensation, to the extent permitted by law.
Yes, that text comes from previous contests. See the end part that says "for advertising, promotion, marketing, and administration of the Contest without additional compensation." That means I can continue to use your name, mug shot, name of the game, etc. that you UPLOAD/SUBIMIT for the contest to keep "PROMOTING" the contest. As Rocco says, it doesn't bar you in anyway from making a commercial title out of your efforts, as some have done with uDevGames entries. But it does keep you from telling me in 2006, "Please stop offering the game I entered in 2005 for the OMG Cup on your website." Or, "Please remove all references that I joined your little contest back in 2005 now that I am a superstar developer."

Is that clear? Or should we work on editing/updating that phrase so it is easier to understand? In a nutshell, you don't have to worry that you'll get a letter from iDevGames' Legal telling you to stop marketing your game in 2007 that you submitted to the OMG Cup 2005 Wink

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
DDustin
Unregistered

Quote:Is that clear? Or should we work on editing/updating that phrase so it is easier to understand? In a nutshell, you don't have to worry that you'll get a letter from iDevGames' Legal telling you to stop marketing your game in 2007 that you submitted to the OMG Cup 2005
Yes that is clear. Reading it again it doesn't seem as restricting as it looked when I frist read it.

Hey by the way, would it be possible to get a way to test for "Mac OS X 10.4.2" specifically before the entry date? I can test on OS X but I don't have that specific version.
Post a build and let other people test it for you.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Founder
Yep. You will notice that in the Contest Message Board, various devs have their own message thread devoted to talking about their game. That is a good way to get feedback, and to test for bugs via your peers. Also try our IRC channel, which seems to always people active.

Good luck,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Prize Distribution Rules Question pinguoren 7 6,578 Mar 18, 2009 10:20 AM
Last Post: DavidGuy
  3DU Contest Rules? What for? Casemon 34 16,584 Dec 31, 2006 06:08 PM
Last Post: Yoggy
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Contest Rules Carlos Camacho 0 4,635 Jun 9, 2006 08:46 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  21-Days Later: Predator - Rules Carlos Camacho 0 5,166 Jun 1, 2005 06:30 PM
  21-Days Later: Accelerated (Rules) Carlos Camacho 0 6,206 Jan 20, 2005 09:11 PM