Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X

I wouldn't worry about porting the drawing code. Redoing it from scratch has got to be less of a chore. There's no sense using a raycaster when everyone on OS X has to have some kind of 3D hardware now.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Quote this message in a reply
XiBen
Unregistered

Hello everybody!

Excuse my English, I'm french.

I've compiled the PC version of Wolf3D/SOD for Macintosh. I use the wolf3d engine SDL port by Steven Fuller published on BeBits by Jack Burton. You can found his source code here.

You can download Wolf3D/SOD for MacOS Tiger (10.4 only!) here:
Wolfenstein SDL for Mac

There is 4 applications in the .zip file:
-Wolfenstein 3D Shareware (with Shareware files)
-Spear Of Destiny Shareware (with Shareware files)
-Wolfentein 3D (6 Episodes Version without .wl6 files, you must buy the game!)
-Spear Of Destiny (Full Version without .sod files, you must buy the game too!)

Warning: Thoses releases are really badly tested, they can bring your whole system down, even burn your hard-disks or your monitors ! I'm NOT responsible of the possible damages!

Note: sound doesn't work.

Cheat code list:
-Tab+G= god mode
-Tab+P= pause mode
-Tab+I= Free Items
-Tab+V= Program version

Enjoy!
Good game

I search some good SDL/openGL coders because I'm very bad with C, and I can't do the openGL/sound port... Sad
TommyTBone
Unregistered

I am a member of the Marathon : Aleph One community and I know of plans to port Wolfenstein to Aleph One. I might be helping with this project.
Fearandloathing
Unregistered

TommyTBone Wrote:I am a member of the Marathon : Aleph One community and I know of plans to port Wolfenstein to Aleph One. I might be helping with this project.

Is this truly going to happen? I am a huge fan of Wolfenstein 3d & Aleph One... Cool
Nibbie
It seems as though I stumbled upon this forum a bit too late. I am also another fan of the original mac os version, and I am desperate to find if sixty five and unknowns coding was successful.

It would be very unfortunate if all that coding was in vein. It has been about a year since the last post, but I am still very interested. After a lot of searching I am still not aware of a finished code of Wolf3d for Mac OSX. My own coding was very haphazard, and got me nowhere.

If anyone knows of an accomplished port of this game let me know Grin.
Nibbie
There's an SDL port of Mac Wolfenstein now, works in Windows 9x through Vista, Linux, and some others (not Mac compatible, sorry). You can get "Mac-enstein" here: http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/adds_MNO.htm

The first link listed is the old DOS-based version; the second one is the SDL one and is much more Mac-like!

wolf3dman
Apprentice
Is the original Mac source to this oldie still available somewhere? All the links to the original source seem to be dead.

Curious to see how it compares to the Jaguar source.

belboz@cinci.rr.com
Nibbie
id Software has just ported Wolfenstein 3D to the iPhone and iPod touch, and they released the source code here:

ftp://www.idsoftware.com/idstuff/wolf3d/....0_src.zip

This could potentially be useful for those wanting to develop a modern Mac OS X port. I would much rather be able to play Wolf3D on a Mac, especially if I could use third-party maps and other add-ons.
Nibbie
Here's an Aleph One / Mac Wolfenstein mod I found last year:

http://biasedvideogamerblog.com/blog:wol...n-mini-mod

Not bad, but it's not the same thing as a true port. Basically what I'm really hoping for is a way to play/port ALenstein 3D to Mac OS X:

http://tjmsoftware.thejoshmeister.com/
Nibbie
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I compiled a native version of Wolfenstein 3D for the Mac here. It is based on Wolf4SDL 1.7 SVN. Unfortunately the original author's website is down, but you can get the link to the SVN on my site. I've only tested it on 10.6.5/64-bit but it should work for 32-bit as well.

Let me know if it works for you!
Nibbie
Hello! The link http://rapidshare.de/files/7312368/Wolf3...e.sit.html doesn't work!
Could i download Wolf3D for Mac source code? Thanks a lot in advance!!
Nibbie
Here it is - http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ew...source.sit

Thanks to Greg Ewing!
Nibbie
*Dig Dig Dig*

Hello!

[Image: captur11.png]

Working on a Java version.
It's a complete rewrite, but map/textures/... are directly extracted from resource fork of the original game.

Stay tuned!
⌘-R in Chief
Well that's interesting…

I wonder which game wins as "most ported."
Pong Smile