Text-Based MMORPG

Evilreaver
Unregistered

Hello all,
I am interested in making a text-based MMORPG that is designed to support roughly 100 people at a time with semi-realtime aspects.

I am just wondering id there are any resources out there that would help me get started I've done a fair amount of coding myself in Java, C, C++ and ASM, so I think I could possibly do this myself, however I have no idea how to begin; I've only ever worked on single-machine programs.

I'd just like some resources for getting started- and perhaps a teammate or two Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Try doing a search on the internet for MUDs (Multi User Dungeons).

MUDs are the original online multiplayer adventure games from the days before the term MMORPG, MORPG or even RPG were used.
Evilreaver
Unregistered

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but all I can find are resources for managing a MUD, rather than creating one... systems for adding items, NPCs, etc.

...But nothing for actually creating the base code / server of the MUD. Which is all I really need at this point Rasp

I'm even willing to start REALLY simple- how about a 4-room IRC program?
Sage
Yeah I was thinking about making a set of IRC rooms with narrators inside, that would lead people across a plot, which would require team play etc.. I started out with a combat bot, stopped for the now though.

I recommend you learn some basic TCP/IP programming and see if you want to go all the way and write a simple client server system, shouldnt be too hard really.

This is a good tutorial http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/htmlsingle/bgnet.html
but dont beleive me http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/sockfan.html Rasp

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Evilreaver
Unregistered

Wow, that's way over my head- sad to say I won't be able to start due to not being able to figure the technical details out...

Thanks for the help anyway, guys Smile
Sage
Look: "Quite excellent - I enjoyed reading it and I am not even a programmer."
Its not over your head, is really really simple, if you just take a read learn some basic UDP then TCP its really easy, and ideas on how to do what you want will come.
All you really need is a server, then when a client sais something it gets sent to the server, then the server broadcasts it to everyone else..
Just go for It!
You cant just say you want to make a MMORPG then give up!

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
It basically comes down to this. Are you really dedicated to making your dream come true? Or did you just want to throw another attempt into the graveyard that is MMORPGs. You're new here, but let me tell you, we get a similar posts every month or so. We should really hack up the board and put like... a text parser in where if you haven't been here for at least a week you can't post anything it the words MMORPG in it. Evilreaver this really isn't directed at you, just in general. Fax... er... unknown and I have been working together on networking programs. We've come quite far from fax knowing a good amount and me knowing nothing. I read those pages as well and it explained it well. I also used a book which I find pretty much invaluable. It even talks about how to write server load managing code, in concept anyway, for MMORPGs. MMORPGs are the new websites. So what's it going to be? Throw away your idea and make us dig another grave? Or are you going to put some effort into this and take a stab at network programming.

Don't forget, if you can't find SPECIFIC information on what you are trying to do, that doesn't mean it can't or hasn't been done. I tried for about a month to get solid Quaternion based rotation code down. It took a lot of help from some of my new found friends and of course the internet. Anyway, like I was saying, try searching for less specific things, for instance, just google C++ Network Programming , or whatever your language you prefer is. Try Programming a MUD or even Server Client Programming. The links about socket programming on that last one should be relevant.

Good Luck!
Fhizban
Unregistered

Hello, you should try SlashMUD. Its a very good mudlib for the macintosh. sadly koryn does not develop it anymore - but the lib is stable and has a lot of functionality to offer. one of the rare macintosh mudlibs that
a.) works
b.) offers enough freedom for the developer

http://www.slashmud.org

my 2 cents
-Fhizban
Fhizban
Unregistered

hi, I just came by - and I am in a hurry,
but to add my 2 cents:

for text based online games. try a mudlib.
when programming on macintosh - try slashmud.
the two main features are:
a.) it works
b.) provides lots of freedom

http://www.slashmud.org

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help to make an online text-based rpg game just_gabe 0 4,864 Dec 6, 2009 04:13 PM
Last Post: just_gabe
  How to Design a Text Based MMORPG? SpireGames 3 5,655 Mar 23, 2009 01:40 AM
Last Post: Ingemar
  Text based graphics game mmorpg. MetalMouth 6 5,675 Mar 4, 2008 09:55 AM
Last Post: drslinky1500
  Creating a text mmorpg, engines? xVenomx 3 5,655 Jul 26, 2007 08:13 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  I Have my text-based mmorpg set up just need function.php fixed htmlgary 1 3,167 Jul 12, 2007 01:07 AM
Last Post: Taxxodium