Glsl!

Sage
Frank C. Wrote:@ arekkusu: Your GLinfo page shows that every card supports GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, and GL_ARB_vertex_shader (required extensions for GLSL) but surely this isn't the case?

That page currently lists the info as of 10.4.0, I will try to update it soon for 10.4.3. The exported extensions have changed on every renderer, see my previous post.
Quote this message in a reply
I don't know exactly what this means, but a lot of smart people seem happy so that's good enough for me!

goooo glsl!
Byron Clarke Wrote:I don't know exactly what this means, but a lot of smart people seem happy so that's good enough for me!

goooo glsl!

Shading (assembly, and now making it easy with GL Shader Language) is the biggest thing to hit OpenGL since it's inception, which is why somebody decided GLSL should warrant a version upgrade (to 2.0).
arekkusu Wrote:But note that you do not have to have both vertex and fragment shaders to use GLSL... you could use only vertex shaders and fixed function fragment processing.
That's good to know...

arekkusu Wrote:That page currently lists the info as of 10.4.0, I will try to update it soon for 10.4.3.
Ahh - Did fragment programs (try to) run in software previously in these cases? They just never worked right on my GF3...

Thanks for the clarifications.
Sage
Prior to 10.4.3, you could only use GLSL if you explicitly requested the floating point software renderer.

Now in 10.4.3, renderers which export ARB_fragment_shader will try to run fragment shaders in hardware, but may still fall back to software for any number of reasons (program too long, too many texture instructions, use of the noise function, etc etc.)

Renderers which can never run a fragment shader in hardware (Rage 128, GF3 etc) won't export ARB_fragment_shader (and this matches Windows drivers.) You can still develop and test GLSL on those systems though, by explicitly requesting the software renderer like before.

If you were asking about fragment programs, which are different than GLSL fragment shaders, those were never supported on GF3. Only renderers that export ARB_fragment_program; r9550+ and gf5200+. The software renderer can emulate fragment programs as well as fragment shaders, however there is no fallback path for ARB_fragment_program. (GLSL requires a fallback path, which is exactly why it is so tricky to implement correctly...)
reubert Wrote:http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl -> good tutorial
And for the official documentation: http://www.opengl.org/documentation/oglsl.html
These two are my favourites. Lighthouse3D is a nice and easy tutorial, maybe a bit verbose on per-pixel shading, and I believe it can be a bit confusing on using textures, but overall, a good starting point. And it doesn't hurt to have a printout of the language reference too, or the orange book, "OpenGL Shading Language" (see ad on top of the page at the documentation download). I have both an arm's length away.
I wonder if this will run on my 'ol 128 rage Rasp

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Sage
arekkusu Wrote:I'll try to update my glinfo table sometime next week.

Mac OS X OpenGL Info has been updated for 10.4.3.

This table shows the extensions and limits of all renderers under Mac OS X; it is primarily of use when you want to know which cards will support the fancy features you want to add to your app. It also links to all of the specs and some other useful info.