Installer for Mac

Thenend
Unregistered

Hi. I have a software I made and I want to create an installer for it.

What program can I use?
Quote this message in a reply
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/PackageMaker

Additionaly you can use Disk Utility to create an internet enabled disk image, although that increases file size. The best option is to not create an installer but zip your app. That's the best user experience in my opinion.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Luminary
Installers on the Mac are generally frowned upon. Put it on a disk image or in a zip file unless it has to install to an absolute location (and you'd better have a damn good reason for needing to do that).
Sage
99% of apps should never require an installer. Package your required frameworks in your bundle. Then people can just run the app and not worry about details.

If you require an installer most Mac users will be a little bothered.
Thenend
Unregistered

Thanks everyone!

The problem is that it's in 2 CDs. People can copy the folder 'Game' from both CDs to wherever they want and then execute it, but maybe inexperienced users find it too difficult.

I can't package it because is an hybrid CD for Mac, Linux and Windows so I don't want to change the way files are stored because the other installers need it that way and also, if installation fails, users can do the copy-by-hand trick.

What's the easiest way to copy all files to the HD and create an icon in the desktop or something like that?
Jesus! 2 CDs? What project *is* this?

You're looking at a custom installer or something like InstallerVISE.
how do I have an installer package update my existing application (simply rewriting over the old version would be fine)
Luminary
That's what installer packages do... but that assumes the software's installed in a fixed location, which is of course a bad thing. What're you trying to accomplish?
well, it *could* be that this indie dev has created a AAA game, which then I think he would have a reason for installing. I suggest using a dvd, and UT2k4's approach, and just copy the app where ever the hell you want to, in one bundle.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Automatic creation of app bundle in dmg installer peterp 7 5,198 Feb 24, 2010 01:22 PM
Last Post: cmiller
  Installer Compression Rasterman 12 5,095 Feb 4, 2010 09:53 AM
Last Post: Rasterman