Free/cheap 3d models of chess pieces?

Anyone know of free or cheap 3D models of chess pieces? I'm sure I could lathe a pawn without much hassle, and in the long run I'd like to learn Blender or Meshworks but in the meantime I'd prefer to drop in existing chesspiece models rather than create something mediocre in a hurry.

So far I've found:
1) 3D models on turbosquid for $125 the set
2) apparently Joseph Strout put somewhat reasonable chess pieces as examples on a MeshWork CD - I haven't looked into that yet, not sure if those are available if I buy Meshwork electronically.

Any suggestions? This is for a game I may write; they don't have to be ultra-low poly counts, but they shouldn't be ultra-detailed either (although depending on the format they might be adjustable.)

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Quote this message in a reply
I created a 3D chess image recently for a small little challenge on Renderosity.

http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?F...ge=2219119

If you want the pieces in OBJ or whatever form you can have them. They aren't UV mapped in any particular fashion and they also aren't that low poly. Possibly the other two creators of that thread may give theirs away for free as well if asked.
Thanks for the offer- sounds promising! I tried to sign up for a Renderosity account so I could view the messages but there seems to be some kind of delay or problem with emailing me my registration info. I'll keep trying, but if you'd be okay emailing the files to me that would be great too. I'm going to try to import them into Unity, but I can hopefully convert OBJ to 3ds via Blender.

UV isn't really a problem, I'm sticking to black and white pieces for this early version of the game, and there won't be many pieces on-screen at once.

Oh, my comcast.net email address:
mtdiamond

Or you can reply here and I'll see it.

[Edit: I got into the forum finally; see my followup posted below]

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/In.../ID/251828

That looks like the best bet... if Blender can manage to import those lightwave files...

Otherwise maybe someone kind could convert them into a Unity friendly format. (Lightwave could export to 3ds or FBX)

edit: Still, 23k polygons for the scene is a bit high... I have not had very good luck decimating other people's models in Blender. (reducing polygons) Something about a manifold mesh lacking.

-Jon
Those all look very nice. However, given that this game is still in the proof-of-concept phase, no idea if I'll take it shareware or commercial, and I'm in a big hurry (Unity trial expires in two weeks, contest deadline in 5 weeks) free 'n easy is what I need now.

Maybe I'll waste an evening modelling a pawn and one or two other simple pieces, that should suffice for now. Or maybe I'll hear back from Zecaric. I'll keep TurboSquid in my back pocket should I get serious about this or another game (although who knows, if the game progresses I might try to attract someone with real artistic talent to the project.)

It's funny, my Google searchs showed that making chess pieces is a very popular assignment to give students who are learning 3D modelling. But noone ever bothers to publically release their models when they are done. :-)

Thanks for all the pointers so far.

I could give it a shot (the modelling part), just tell me in what format you want them?

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Zekaric, I finally got registered and had a look. Your chess set is really amazing! Very organic. Very neat scene.

Unfortunately, I think my game needs a staid, classic look to the chess pieces. Sorry! Thanks again for the offer though; I really appreciate it.

No worries.

Doesn't the mac come with a standard GNU Chess with a 3D front? I can't remember and I'm far away from my mac at the moment.
Yep. Apple provides a chess app that has a 3D interface derived from glChess. You can grab the source code for it all from the About dialog. The chess pieces are all generated by code in the file MBCBoardViewModels.mm it's fairly nice code (most pieces are produced by lathing) and should do you fine. But if you are using Unity you might need the models, *just* possibly you might be able to export these.
Founder
I thought I would add a link for anyone with Cinema4D who might find this thread in the future:

http://www.oman3d.com/tutorials/c4d/pawn/

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
staigerman
Unregistered

MattDiamond Wrote:Anyone know of free or cheap 3D models of chess pieces? I'm sure I could lathe a pawn without much hassle, and in the long run I'd like to learn Blender or Meshworks but in the meantime I'd prefer to drop in existing chesspiece models rather than create something mediocre in a hurry.

So far I've found:
1) 3D models on turbosquid for $125 the set
2) apparently Joseph Strout put somewhat reasonable chess pieces as examples on a MeshWork CD - I haven't looked into that yet, not sure if those are available if I buy Meshwork electronically.

Any suggestions? This is for a game I may write; they don't have to be ultra-low poly counts, but they shouldn't be ultra-detailed either (although depending on the format they might be adjustable.)

There is a large model collection on the content CD of Carrara Studio, which now sells for under $50. http://www.thebest3d.com/carrara - I don't know off the bat if there's a complete chess piece, but I'd guess there either is or there's a quick way to make some. There is I think a horse model, and there are of course great modeling tools in Carrara.

I'll look for complete chess pieces.

added: found it. The 'Misc 2' category of model collection from the Carrara Studio 3 content CD has a complete chess set. I'm doing a rendering and will post it on http://www.thebest3d.com/carrara/chess
Very nice, thanks for that tip. (I wonder what the poly-counts are?)

My current models were generously donated by KittyMac (Rocco), who took time off from his own OMG Cup entry to whip up some models for me. I'll revisit this if I decide to develop my game further after the contest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Project Messiah 3D modeler gong incredibly cheap backslash 1 6,637 Feb 18, 2011 05:55 AM
Last Post: toonbit
  Free NICE game-ready models around the world denixxx 1 6,243 Sep 25, 2010 02:23 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  Is there a free/cheap game making program for OS X? gamingjustin 13 15,879 Dec 6, 2005 02:15 PM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie
  Free Models Gaveno 0 3,256 Dec 21, 2004 03:57 PM
Last Post: Gaveno
  Free Hash A:M 3d models Carlos Camacho 3 4,914 Oct 24, 2003 06:49 AM
Last Post: whogben