Need ideas for my team's project

I finally found someone crazy enough to start a game with me. He said: "You do the design document, and the network code, I do the client."
However i had some trouble with the design decision I made so far, and I need help, in form of fresh and unconventional ideas.

Currently I have agreed with myself for these ideas:

-Network game
The game should contain a network part, or i can't code on it. Which would be bad. No compromising for this idea.

-Social & cooperative game
Network games are no fun if there is no interaction with the other players, thus the idea to base the game on that. Social does not just mean a chat, but real interaction ideally on a coorperative level.

-Trading & economic gameplay
Trading should be a part of the game.

-Sandbox
If you just want to build up your stuff without interacting with others, you should be able to do so, without getting punished.

-Competetive & agressive gameplay
Players should be able to destroy stuff at will.

You see, there are quite some contradiction in there, so maybe someone has a hint for me, or a similar idea he/she want's to share?

and now some ninjas to increase the coolness of this post:
Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja
Quote this message in a reply
Black and White the MMORPG? hehehehehe

Ok, Other than that Ninja ninjas Ninja would be pretty awesome, like a dojo and sutff, where you train, and you can do missions with other Ninja ninjas Ninja to assasinate or whatever.

Alex
The only thing i can think of that isnt an MMORPG is a SRPG. choose a style (ninjas, fantasy, aliens... whatever.) keep it simple. have a cool graphic for a town. treat each town as a room on the network... give each room a max of say 50 so its not so clogged up. have different level maxes for each town (such as a noob town where the max level is ten... etc) then have several clickable options in the town:

The Pub
trade, fight or do coop skirmishes with other players etc.

Job Board
have a list of the current single player missions put up by different employers according to the level of the characters. for your destructable environment idea, maybe have a few missions where you sack a town or burn someones house down and shoot their children... but then you might have to add a karma system

Hotel
Sleep

Arena
tournament events 3v3, 5v5 etc... between other players and computer players for a rank.

Shop
Buy all kinds of stuff

the game mechanics and engine essentially would be up to you. to make it a good online srpg, have no real story line or main characters. maybe start with 5 generic characters and build them up in many different ways with different classes and different skills. but i dunno, this might be a little too much work for a 2 man team, That and itd be a very graphically intensive game . But i hope this helps with your ideas
Apprentice
I have an idea, How about a compeletly interactive,2-D WoW! Or,something like that.
Now you're all just being evil to me Smile
How about some sort of "Build a space ship to go to Mars" type game. You play a country or a large corporation. You try to build a successful space ship. You must interact with other players to achieve the goal.

Yeah it's rough Smile
-Jon
ardam the third Wrote:I have an idea, How about a compeletly interactive,2-D WoW! Or,something like that.
or you could just... play WoW
skyhawk Wrote:or you could just... play WoW

GENIUS!

Alex
Hog
skyhawk Wrote:or you could just... play WoW

Or better yet, make something thats better than WoW.
Use a better a physics engine and improve the gameplay, thats easily done.
None of this level/item grinding trash. Make the player be able to log off anytime he wants to without being blacklisted by others or having to suffer any other penalties. And none of this miniquest crap. The only thing you'd have to worry about are all the assets, but since you're not doing the client anyways that's not your problem.
Why did this turn into a wow thread? You guys are SO random *shows with arms wide stretched*
What type of networking do you want is the question we should be asking you instead of talking about a kids music band (WoW)

bzflag, Has a server list and servers are hosted by fans.
Server is implemented with different binary.

Lux, Turn based.
Server is implemented in-game, so webhosted servers are out of the question.

The Battle of Wesnoth, Also turned base serverlist.
Don't know how the server is implemented... but it's a networked game...

RuneScape :-P, MMORPG
Server's have exact same map and are located throughout the world.

I suggest a BZFlag-Lux style game. although don't use Java like Lux does...
(I recently got a free account at Lux because I found a Java "glitch")

I would implement the server inside the actual game, but be "live action" type game.
I don't like turn based games like Wesnoth because sometimes you get network glitches that can mess up gameplay. And BZFlag handle's client quits extremely nicely.

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses
FJGamer
Unregistered

Whatever you do, don't do what RuneScape did. If you have multiple 'worlds,' make them unique.
Quote:Whatever you do, don't do what RuneScape did. If you have multiple 'worlds,' make them unique.

That is not good. the worlds with the best maps would be overloaded.
Because that's exactly what BZFlag does... each server is a different map MOTT

You also don't have many maps for Lux or Wesnoth... but BZFlag has over 1,000 maps for it.
(probably because bzflag is 3D and lux and wesnoth aren't)

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses
Bjoernke Wrote:Why did this turn into a wow thread? You guys are SO random *shows with arms wide stretched*
I normally like to leave the MMORPG to the developers who have hundreds of thousands (in WoW's case, millions) to throw at such a progect, especially when people try to appeal to a grandeur scale.

I see at the top you have minute things you want that really mean nothing. How about you expand on them. Gonna toss you a bone and extend the conversation:

Quote:-Social & cooperative game
Social does not just mean a chat, but real interaction ideally on a coorperative level.
well, explain how do we interact more than just chat? I mean, from what I understand, you don't want a MUD. Expand this in MUCH more details.

Quote:-Trading & economic gameplay
Trading should be a part of the game.
Long term economics of a multiplayer game are as nearly complicated as the real world. How would you combat such things as: "gold farming", inflation, deficit, fair trading, getting goods to the market, buying goods, bartering systems, donations, and so on.
There are entire games dedicated to the sole idea of a trading market. You can't simply say "I want trading" in a game and not understand the monumental size of that problem.
Hog
skyhawk Wrote:well, explain how do we interact more than just chat? I mean, from what I understand, you don't want a MUD. Expand this in MUCH more details.

Isn't that obvious? He was probbly thinking of cybersex. Rasp
Also, I never suggested that it should be a MMORPG. I merely said he should make a better game than WoW.

skyhawk Wrote:Long term economics of a multiplayer game are as nearly complicated as the real world. How would you combat such things as: "gold farming", inflation, deficit, fair trading, getting goods to the market, buying goods, bartering systems, donations, and so on.

And don't forget pirating, yeah maybe you should make a pirate game.