speeding up IO and memory access

Atomical
Unregistered

I registered an account on idevapps but never got an email. I'm running short on time on a project and I had a few questions..

I'm wondering if memory mapping would speed up the write I/O for a file that will be written once and closed. Or is memory mapping more for files that have already been created?
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I doubt memory mapping will (can?) help you there.

Try making one call to write() with all your data, rather than many small calls.
Would putting the writing in a different thread help? It would unblock your main loop... (don't quite know what you're trying to do, though)

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Atomical
Unregistered

It's already a forking serer. I'm debugging and testing the server on a mac but it is going to be put into its steps on the intel platform. Mac OS X doesn't have the mlockall() command but most regular Unixes do I think. That's the only thing I can think of to increase performance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Subclass access warnings in Objective-C vectorscope 2 3,936 Sep 15, 2009 10:02 AM
Last Post: vectorscope
  Potentially faster array access in C++? imikedaman 7 5,393 Aug 5, 2006 10:09 AM
Last Post: aarku