Open source Fallout engine coming to Mac (with your help)

Update time :-)

We're currently reworking our XML map format as we found a number of inconsistencies that we failed to foresee when we initially designed the first version of our map format :-/

Fortunately (or unfortunately, that really depends on the perspective) there are just two FIFE-based games in development at the moment so we decided to address these issues as soon as possible to reduce the number of affected projects that will need to slightly adjust their map markup to work with the latest FIFE code.

Updated FIFE map format (draft)

The good news is that the reworking of the map format is a first step and part of our strategy to finally tackle the monster that FIFE developers call the "map editor". So there is actually hope that people who start to explore the world of FIFE with our next planned release 2007.2 won't need to worry about these changes at all (if we manage to finish a first version of our map editor tool until then).

Jasoka and jwt did invest a large amount of time to refactor important parts of the engine, kick out singletons and remove bi-directional dependencies between the different engine modules thus leading to a far cleaner engine structure. The whole refactoring process is still ongoing and everyone who's interested in what we're currently working on should check out our metamodel branch in SVN and take a look at the SVN changelog of the last weeks :-)

Metamodel branch @ SVN
SVN changelog
Quote this message in a reply
Welcome to yet another FIFE news update :-)

It was pretty quiet lately, not because we would have been lazy but because I was busy with my exams and had no time to write about our most recent efforts. Nevertheless there was of course a bunch of work going on behind the scenes and I'm happy to have finally found the time to summarize it for you. There are several topics to talk about:
* The send them in! contest is over and we finally have a winner.
* The work on the new metamodel branch is coming along quite well.
* The FIFE team agreed to work on a new techdemo in cooperation with the Zero-Projekt team that explains the features of FIFE.
* The FIFE project turns two rather soon :-) Time for a birthday party.
* fifengine.de has been slightly updated with the help of the new developer NickWarner.

You can read about all these topics in detail at our most recent FIFE developer blog update. Have fun :-)
We can't really believe it either but our calendar says that it has been almost two years now since we started to work on this very project. At the 11th of September 2005 a group of naive but enthusiastic individuals agreed to found a development project to create an improved Fallout-like engine for roleplaying games. Although the focus shifted to become a more general and flexible 2D engine, altough new members joined and old ones left the team, we're still around and the recent progress gives us the hope that there'll be a bunch of birthday parties to celebrate in the next couple of years :-) To celebrate at least our first two years we invite every developer (active, inactive, ex or even simply interested to get involved) and of course every guest to visit our IRC channel at Tuesday, 2007/09/11.

If you always wanted to get to know these crazy FIFE people here is your chance. As the majority of the FIFE developers are set in Europe you will probably need to wait for the evening hours (GMT) to get in touch with project members though. You could even try to obtain an answer to the question when 2007.2 will be released. Though it's likely that we'll answer: ''When it's done''. Not because we're cruel but because we don't know it either :-) Anyway: we hope to see all of you at Tuesday.

Let's get this party started :-)
Finally a first screenshot of the upcoming techdemo that is a cooperation of the Zero-Projekt team and the FIFE staff. Looks like they make fun of poor little Barracuda :-(

[Image: 2007.2.005.jpg]
To bring up the most important fact at the beginning: the FIFE team will finally release the 2007.2 milestone to the public at Wednesday, the 10th of October, 2007. Over five months have passed since the 2007.1 milestone had been released at the end of April and a lot has changed since then. Now that the most important changes are in place and work we feel that it's time for another release to give the community a sign into which direction the project is heading.

Let's summarize the most important changes for the 2007.2 release and have a (small) look into the future of FIFE as well.

After having utilized Lua5 for the scripting side of FIFE for over 18 months we agreed that it would be worth taking a look at SWIG again. SWIG was promising as it offered a way to use our engine with a number of scripting languages; furthermore we could get rid of the semi-manual lunar.h bindings approach this way as well. We ran into some hurdles while trying to integrate SWIG into FIFE but in the end it worked out quite well. Now we had the ability to wrap up the engine into python instead of the old way of embedding the Lua library into FIFE.

The so-called metamodel branch was an undertaking to seriously redesign major parts of the engine. We decided to go for an MVC (model - view - controller) architecture pattern for FIFE and refactored the engine modules accordingly. Another aim was to remove unneeded bi-directional module dependencies to have a clean module hierarchy:
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=Engine_Core

The Zero-Projekt team agreed to work with the FIFE developers on an example game for future releases together. This way we can give game creators a starting point and show what can be done with the engine. Furthermore working with the Zero team directly together brings up a number of advantages for FIFE:
* We won't need to worry about producing content for the example game.
* We're in contact with game creators so we get feedback what works well and what aspects should be improved.
* We can test and adjust the FIFE API while we work on the example game. This wouldn't be possible without building an actual game on top of the engine.

A first snapshot of the example game will come bundled with the 2007.2 release. Don't expect too much: it is a work in progress project and especially the first versions will naturally lack a lot of polish!

After the release of the 2007.2 milestone we plan to finally start working on the editor tools for FIFE again. We tried to do so several times before but everytime something went wrong: editor programmers disappeared and later we did find several engine issues that prevented building an useful editor tool on top of the engine.

Now that the engine is in pretty good shape after the metamodel refactoring, we feel that working on the editor tools will bring up better results this time. Jwt, who also wrote the new python-based maploaders for the 2007.2 release, does currently investigate how we could create python-based mapsavers. This is meant to be the first step for the editor tools.

Anxs & prock are currently redesigning the FIFE audio module in a separate branch. If everything works out as planned we might be able to ship the new improved audio module already with the 2007.3 release. If you want to read some detailed information about the audio module redesign, head over to the wiki:
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title...umentation

Now that we're heading to the finish line we can need every helping hand to test the upcoming release. Furthermore help with packaging would be appreciated as well. Therefore we invite every interested community member to join our project IRC channel to lend us a hand. We hope to see some of you there. If you're too busy, it would be great if you could be around at the release day to celebrate the new milestone with us at least :-)
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=IRC

And finally after all the text, some new eye-candy as well. This is a screenshot of the product we're working on together with the Zero-Projekt team. This content won't ship with the upcoming 2007.2 release and is work in progress.
[Image: 300px-2007.2.006.jpg]
We've made it! The 2007.2 release is on the server and we're all happy that it shipped in time.

Download
* Source package (Linux, Macintosh): http://downloads.sourceforge.net/fife/FI...rc.tar.bz2
* Win32 binaries: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/fife/FI..._win32.exe

Screenshot
[Image: 300px-2007.2.007.jpg]

Important changes since the 2007.1 release
* Removed the rather difficult to maintain lunar.h bindings in favour of SWIG.
* Replaced the Lua scripting support with Python. Now the main loop runs in the scripting language. For the 2007.1 release the main loop still ran in the engine side and the Lua library was embedded into the engine. By utilizing SWIG game creators can add Lua support back to the engine again if they have the need for it.
* Metamodel refactoring. This resulted in a better engine structure and a decreased number of dependencies between the engine modules. Furthermore bi-directional dependencies were removed completely.
* Improved engine modularity. Our aim is that you can cherry-pick specific engine modules of FIFE and just use the ones you really need for your game.
* Pathfinding integration. Exchangable backends so you can already replace the currently rather simple linear pather with a more sophisticated system.
* New 3d geometry system. Camera supports now tilt, rotation and zoom. Geometries are affected by camera adjustments, but in addition to that, layers can contain separate scale and rotation.
* New event channel module. Scripts have full access to mouse, keyboard & widget input.
* New MVC architecture pattern. The whole engine has been refactored to follow a model - view - controller pattern. This leads to a cleaner engine module hierarchy compared to the engine design that was used before.
* Improved action-based animation system.
* A techdemo to give game creators a starting point. This is a common undertaking of the Zero-Projekt team and FIFE.

Read the full release news update:
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/eng...0/10/16.23
So here we go! FIFE binaries for Intel Macs:
http://members.fifengine.de/donbachi/Rel...2007.2.zip

Needed dependencies:
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title...#Framework

How to run:
Move into the <FIFE> folder and run: python techdemo.py

Feedback would be really appreciated if these binaries work for you!
I'd love to try this. I installed all the dependencies (I think), but I get the following error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "techdemo.py", line 25, in <module>
    import fife, fifelog
  File "engine/swigwrappers/python/fife.py", line 7, in <module>
    import _fife
ImportError: dlopen(engine/swigwrappers/python/_fife.so, 2): Symbol not found: __ZThn132_N3gcn9TextField12mouseDraggedERNS_10MouseEventE
  Referenced from: engine/swigwrappers/python/_fife.so
  Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libguichan.0.dylib

I installed libguichan using DarwinPorts, if that's any help.
I think that is caused by having the "wrong" guichan version installed. Could you please try to install guichan 0.61 in case you're currently running a different version? FIFE just currently works with guichan 0.61; 0.7 and 0.71 are not supported (yet).

Thanks for testing :-)
I also tried it, with the same result, and nowhere did I see mention of the word "guichan" on the web site or in the documentation. I have no idea what that is or where I can download it. Did I miss something?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Guichan is the GUI library we utilize for FIFE.

Looks like guichan 0.6.1 is available through Darwinports:
http://libguichan.darwinports.com/
Well, I don't have Darwinports, and I'm not motivated enough to get it, so I guess I'll have to start testing this some time later.

Edit: Actually, it looks like my problem was with SDL, not with guichan, but I'm not about to downgrade SDL either.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Sounds like it's about time to get your dependency management under control, and make sure everything nececssary to run the game is included in the application bundle. Smile
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Sounds like it's about time to get your dependency management under control, and make sure everything nececssary to run the game is included in the application bundle. Smile
We plan to release an application bundle of FIFE later but we had a hard time to find a Mac maintainer for our project. Now we've finally found someone again; he plans to build FIFE and the necessary dependencies as soon as he finds the time for it. (Hopefully already this weekend)

Any links to share about building universal binaries and the creation of application files for Macs ThemsAllTook?
It's weird, because I installed libguichan through that darwinports link. And I don't know enough Terminal magic to find out the version I have installed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [split] CocoaBASIC released as open source Carlos Camacho 0 3,750 Jan 28, 2011 04:13 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Any suggestions for an open source video encoder? AnotherJake 26 12,363 Jan 28, 2010 05:25 AM
Last Post: michelleC
  Port of an open source game engine iarwain 4 4,367 Aug 28, 2008 02:16 PM
Last Post: iarwain
  Spiderweb's Blades of Exile is now open source JeroMiya 3 4,665 Jun 12, 2007 02:35 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  Open source alternatives ootoovak 9 5,214 Dec 15, 2006 07:56 AM
Last Post: bronxbomber92