Open source Fallout engine coming to Mac (with your help)

Hi to all Mac gamers out there, the FIFE project needs your help to bring a new open source Fallout-like engine to mac.

The FIFE project is a group of enthusiastic Fallout-fans and coders that want to create a open source emulator for the Fallout 2 engine; similar to projects like GemBR for infinity engine games or Exult for Ultima 7. At the moment we are 10 developers and the project is in development for four months now. The majority of our devs use Linux but we have Windows developers, too. Therefore our current prototype of the engine runs on both platforms.

We agreed on trying to bring FIFE to all major platforms and operating systems so we're now searching for an interested Mac release manager that builds the binaries on his PPC system. You don't need to port the sourcecode as the code is already PPC compatible; we're just lacking somebody who builds the sources on his system.

You'll need the following libs & compile tools installed:
- gcc compiler, SCons building tool (requires python)
- SDL, SDL_ttf, boost
- OpenAL, libvorbis, libogg, libvorbisfile
- guichan (engine GUI lib), zlib (should be standard on every Mac, shouldn't it?)
- OpenGL (if you want to have hard accelerated gfx support)

We would be really happy to provide Mac binaries for FIFE with your support :-)

Screenshots (click on them for see the fullscreen version):
[Image: pre-alpha_002_t.jpg]

[Image: prototype1_015_t.jpg]

[Image: prototype1_014_t.jpg]

[Image: prototype1_013_t.jpg]

More screenshots can be found in our gallery:
http://www.fifengine.de/index.php?module...tter&tid=5

If you want to reach us
=========================
Homepage: http://www.fifengine.de

IRC channel: http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title...RC_channel

eMail: mvBarracuda@web.de

Important addresses
Wiki: http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php

Subversion sourcecode repository: http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title...repository

Public mailing list: http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title...iling_list
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Ill try and build it, does that mean I need to rewrite all the SConscript's?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
unknown Wrote:Ill try and build it, does that mean I need to rewrite all the SConscript's?
AFAIK just the "sconstruct" in the core folder; the others should have no platform specific stuff. But I got no mac experience, you'll need includes and libs for:
- SDL
- OpenAL
- SDL_sound
- SDL_ttf
- OpenGL 1.3 (if you want to compile the OGL renderer)

You can find the prototype under:
BRANCHES\experimental\core -> SDL software renderer
BRANCHES\experimental\glcore -> OpenGL hw renderer

We plan to merge these 2 renderers and make it just a compile flag in the scons file, but its not finished ATM.
Sage
I mean SConscript -> makefiles, I dont think I can run SConscript files.

You'll need python and scons but AFAIK both are available under Mac Smile
Sage
Ok ill have a look for scons, ive got python already.

We just tested it: compiling works Smile

But the setup of the test environment for Mac is quite tricky as there is no .dat decompressor for Mac. We're working on it.
Sage
Thats good news,
will there be a way to build this without scons in futre?

No, as we're trying to use one build system for all platforms as it makes building quite easy Smile

We had a hard time to get it working on windows but once its done, building is so easy Smile A friendly mac dev just helped us to create a mac scons file, should be in the SVN tomorrow.
Tesseract
Unregistered

SCons is really easy to install from source, just "python setup.py install" and you're done.

Also, mvBarracuda forgot to mention one library dependency: Boost. I installed it through DarwinPorts, and I expect it's available through Fink as well.

There is a remaining issue with where the OpenGL and OpenAL headers are installed, which I got around by symlinking the Headers folders from the frameworks to /usr/include/AL and /usr/include/GL. Once that's solved, building is as easy as typing "scons". Unpacked Fallout 2 data files are needed to test the program -- more to come on that in the hopefully-not-too-distant future.
You're right Tesseract, forget to mention that you'll need boost as we're using some special functions of it. And the mac scons file is already in the svn so you can at least compile it under MacOsX Smile

The glcore has been just merged with the normal one and now you can enter "scons opengl=1" to compile it with OpenGL support. Object loading is finished and the placement does now work, too.

RogerWilco works on a modified undat that runs on Mac so with some luck you can test it on your own and see if it runs Smile
We just released our first win32 pre alpha version. We would really like to provide Mac binaries but it all depends on if we find a Mac coder that wants to help us :-)
http://www.fifengine.de

New screens:
[Image: prototype1_015_t.jpg]

[Image: prototype1_014_t.jpg]

[Image: prototype1_013_t.jpg]
Okay ONE last try :-p

You won't really need to be a "real" coder to compile FIFE on Mac. We're more searching for a release manager for Macintosh as you would just need to build the binaries on your PPC system (the code is already PPC compatible).

Building should be quite easy because AFAIK all required libs and tools are available through FINK or darwinports:
- gcc compiler, SCons building tool (requires python)
- SDL, SDL_ttf, boost
- OpenAL, libvorbis, libogg, libvorbisfile
- guichan (engine GUI lib), zlib (should be standard on every Mac, shouldn't it?)
- OpenGL (if you want to have hard accelerated gfx support)

Are there just no Fallout fans on Mac or is it really that hard to compile from source on Macintosh these days if you just need to install some packages and type "SCons"?
I am a Giant fan of Fallout games and its one of the reasons I got into programming games to begin with, but I am far to busy to invest time in another project right now. Especially a non-paying one since I am currently living off my programs.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
If you're coding on Mac I assume that you got the majority of these libs already installed. It should take about 1-2 hours to install all needed libs and once you've done that you're ready for compiling.

After that you just have to type "Scons" and it starts to build the binary automatically, you don't even need to set compiler / linker flags. We'll keep searching for Mac release managers; till we find one there will be simply no FIFE for Mac ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [split] CocoaBASIC released as open source Carlos Camacho 0 3,848 Jan 28, 2011 04:13 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Any suggestions for an open source video encoder? AnotherJake 26 12,865 Jan 28, 2010 05:25 AM
Last Post: michelleC
  Port of an open source game engine iarwain 4 4,494 Aug 28, 2008 02:16 PM
Last Post: iarwain
  Spiderweb's Blades of Exile is now open source JeroMiya 3 4,781 Jun 12, 2007 02:35 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  Open source alternatives ootoovak 9 5,335 Dec 15, 2006 07:56 AM
Last Post: bronxbomber92