Bitmap File Formats (16bpp VS 32bpp)

Are many iPhone game developers using 16bpp (as opposed to 32bpp 8888 ARGB) for textures?

Also, what's the ideal format for using 16bpp textures on iPhone projects? (4444 / 5551 / something else).

Any other thoughts on 16bpp textures?

Thanks,
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
We haven't even come close to running out of VRAM for our games so we've stuck with 32bit textures for simplicity.

I don't really think there is a "best" 16 bit format. Assuming the hardware actually supports 4444, 5551, and 565 formats, it really depends on what you need it for. Do you need smooth alpha, just knockout alpha, or no alpha at all.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
It's not really for my needs, I'm just trying to assess the needs of iPhone game developers in general. Smile
We've been using 32 bit PNGs for everything we can. I think 16 bit looks like crap and we haven't needed it. The only stuff that really sucks up memory have been sprite animations, for which we use PVRTC for the animated frames and 32 bit PNGs for static frames, because PVRTC tends to look crappy with alpha but you can't see the artifacts when in motion. Backgrounds which don't need translucency are also great candidates for PVRTC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Simple bitmap font class iamflimflam1 2 5,568 Mar 3, 2012 08:45 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth