have ideas,need team!

Apprentice
Hey,I need some devvers to help make some games, cause im not very good at graphics or anamation.please help!
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Ok. So what is it that you will do to help? Are you merely the idea guy (a.k.a. the designer) or do you do coding as well? What is(are) the game(s) about? Maybe you could elaborate a little bit and I'm guessing you'll get a better response from people. Usually people want to know what they're going to be doing, before they sign up to do it.
Apprentice
I am the idea guy,I have no idea how to code , need guys who are good at graphics,anamation and coding,and one of my game ideas has a guy with phsycic powers.
Sage
That's a start I suppose. Could you elaborate on the idea a little bit more? Maybe some plot ideas, the style, whether it's 2D or 3D, genre, etc. Just something more to bring developers to wanting to do your work.

One little note, however, is that most independent game developers don't really want to do everything for your idea. Everyone has ideas, including developers. You either need A) a really good idea that's well thought out and documented or B) some way of helping the developing process beyond just supplying ideas.
Very true, I'm sure everyone here has some great game ideas. It's way easier to come up with them than to turn them into a finished product. If you can't contribute with more than ideas, I don't see this going anywhere fast.

Just my 2¢
Apprentice
think 2-d psi ops mindgate/reactive,other than that,im open to suggestions,im also kinda good at sprite editing,looking for stuff you need,and random ideas. im also good for just scraching out my idea and put in something else. My current goal is to make a fun, workable game. im good with anything.
Sage
Not to be the mean guy with nothing good to say, but if your sole job will be idea guy and "looking for stuff you need", you should try organizing your thoughts more to have a complete game thought out. You should know exactly how it will look and play. You should have at least ideas of how the missions will go. You should have ideas for controls, options, items, powers, etc. You should have a decent (I'd say go 2-5 pages) document written out containing what your game will be when finished. Just saying "think 2-d psi ops mingate/reactive" isn't really enough to get a developer to jump up and down for you. Sorry. Sounds kind of amusing, but take the idea and run with it. See where you end up.
Luminary
And if you want people to take the time to read your documents, you should learn how to spell, and how to construct proper English sentences.

Currently you've said nothing to prove that you have any talent for anything at all. It's a bit unlikely that you're going to get people queueing to make your game rather than their own on that basis...
I think the most relevant question would be... how old are you?
He's about eleven-ish.

"When I was your age", I walked home a quarter mile in the snow, wrote my game ideas behind my bed when I was supposed to do homework, and walked a mile and half to the "Computer Shoppe" on Saturdays to use their Apple II and sent a game idea to Atari called "Caverns of Zukor". I still have the tracing paper sketches of the Tron - rip off spaceships.

The complete game concept was formulated on that yellow math scratch paper, and sent to Atari. They made the game almost to the letter in 3D about five years later and called it "Operation Starblade", it rocked, ate quaters like a monster with a hole in its stomach. Now I play it on MacMame.

Don't be discouraged, start keeping all your ideas, with your bad spelling and grammar, in a pocket notebook, like I used to do. Try to hang on to this notebook or you will kick yourself when your twenty something wishing you had.

I believe in eighth or ninth grade its customary to keep a journal for English class, I have this notebook, it has a bunch of game ideas in it, funny as hell to read, embarassing as all get out.

Be encouraged by the fact that the dev I work with started the iGame3D engine when he was like 16 or something. The winners of the last contest here, aren't even twenty, and started doing dev with that BASIC thing whose name I forget, and they lost a few of the first contests they entered.

Another encouragement I can offer is OneSadCookie started doing dev at your age, and look at the major nerd he turned out to be, and still can't win a contest.
Oh wait that might discourage you, nevermind, just remember that he gets paid daily to be a major nerd, and even got the very artistically talented David was-his-name-guy to turn into a major nerd too and they work together, that fella' makes wonderful games now. The moral being, hook up with a major nerd to share knowledge and help you through the shadowed valley of the nerds.

OK how about this, when I was first contacted by CoolChrisDJ, he was 14 I think, now he's working on some Dim3 stuff with other people.

I suggest you learn dim3 and blender, because they are free, and that will save you cash for buying important inspirational kid stuff to propel your degree: ie video games, with some side cash left over to increase your manly prowes when the time comes, ie a vehicle to get the ladies.

Don't expect your game to be made over night, its taken me four years to get iGame3D to evolve into everything it wasn't when we started. If you pressure yourself based on time you will see failure, if you just focus on small accomplishments that you would not have reached otherwise you will see success. Also keep in mind that at least 60% of game devs are twice your age and haven't published a worthwhile title yet, but they keep on pushing.

So get to writing out your game ideas now, really think them through, some ideas will end up in the trash, this happens to everyone in every industry.
Just don't literally throw away anything, A concept that is 80% the suxxorz is still 20% of something that could flesh out to good game-age, with a little more thought and experience behind it.

I also suggest checking out Dreamcard
It uses a high level language that is very much English instead of gobbledygook.
You can create very primitive concepts of your games, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel learning to create an entire game engine. I believe OSC used Hypercard as a kid, and this is basically the cousin of that, so I believe it represents a foundation that won't discourage you too much while you learn more complex stuff after a time.
Quote:used Hypercard as a kid

A lot of us used that, along with varius variants of BASIC.

iGame3D is a smart guy. You'd do well to listen to him.
blobbo Wrote:iGame3D is a smart guy. You'd do well to listen to him.

That sounds like a bumper sticker. There are people on this board who are genuine genius, I don't qualify in that category at all.

Thought you'd be interested in this, kiddo, you don't mind me calling you kiddo do you?

From IMG Interviews David Rosen
Quote:IMG: First off, please give us a little bio of yourself and Wolfire Software.

David: I started programming Hypercard games back when I was seven or so, in 1993, and gradually taught myself more complex languages from FutureBASIC to C++

See humble beginnings, and David, if he doesn't burn out and fill himself to the brim with hate and venom, will continue to be a notable name in the game dev community. I think at the most he's 20 today and has a very bright future ahead of him.

I thought this might give you a realistic role model to emulate, as opposed to the names and faces given godlike status in glossy magazines.
David Rosen is a realistic role model to emulate as much as an alien could be.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:David Rosen is a realistic role model to emulate as much as an alien could be.

That is a puzzle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Najdorf Wrote:David Rosen is a realistic role model to emulate as much as an alien could be.
err...... what?