OpenGL Font Maker

Sage
Does anyone know of a program that makes an image with a each letter of a font in it in a grid for using in games and so on?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Screw that, im making it myself.

Save yourself some time. I used Fontmap Builder. It says $10, but when you download it, it says $5 donationware and there are no nags, limitations, etc.
Sage
Thanks but Ive almost finished and mine going to be better (i.e. free and Open source)! Rasp

its also going to do a few things I doubt that does, but on that note does anyone have any requests?

Currently it takes a font name and height, number of columns, possible custom string (instead of ASCII 32-127), optional antialiasing.. and generates a grid of characters from that.

Its also going to have an option to generate some data for ascii people, like character darkness (Number of black pixels/Number of white pixels), and possible a similar thing for shape..

(Minesweepers there too LOL )

Be wary of offering the number of columns: remember that the dimensions of an OpenGL texture needs to be a power of 2. Just don't be afraid to distort the image a bit: when it's finally mapped, it un-distorts it as long as the quad is of the correct dimentions.
Sage
hmmm, I think ill have the input for size, either enter p.t.size (which is the height btw) or width, (It will have to calculate width from a p.t.size estimate.. but that no big problem).
Then you could do
./FontGrid -w 16 -c 16
for 16 px characters, and 16 across

Sage
heh.. heh.. LOL
Im not a loser..

Seriously nice looking app.. Shame mine is a console invoked peice of nonsense..
Aww well its finished now soo..
Im just going to add pixel counting and then upload it.

Thats a seriously nice looking program though, im just about to try it out.

Sage
Actually thats a really nice program..
I may use that for once ive generate my fonts in my game, please?
My program generates the tga files (but tiffs) from a system Font that your program uses, so they are compatable..

Sage
Opps, I forgot -o for output, and also theres a bug..
2 secs..
Arrg.
Baseline problems

I always just laid this out in something like Illustrator, Photoshop, or The GIMP.

-Jon
unknown Wrote:Actually thats a really nice program..
I may use that for once ive generate my fonts in my game, please?
My program generates the tga files (but tiffs) from a system Font that your program uses, so they are compatable..

Yes, of course you can use it. Smile

aarku Wrote:I always just laid this out in something like Illustrator, Photoshop, or The GIMP.

Well, with my app, you just have to create your chars in one long line using the text tool in either Photoshop or GIMP, apply whatever filters you like, and drop it in to generate a power of two texture + a data file that specifies every char's position (variable width). The app detects each char automatically (assuming they are separated by at least one pixel from each other).
PowerMacX Wrote:http://wirelesshamster.com/developer.html#cfont

Looks handy, but when I drag one of the sample TGAs over the FontMaker program, as suggested by the Readme, the app doesn't highlight. (I can double-click the app and it runs, but there's no File Open menu choice.)

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Luminary
As a possible alternative (mac-only), http://onesadcookie.com/svn/repos/NSViewTexture will give you textures with nice anti-aliased, font-substituted, internationalization-handled, ligatured, quartz-rendered text.
MattDiamond Wrote:Looks handy, but when I drag one of the sample TGAs over the FontMaker program, as suggested by the Readme, the app doesn't highlight. (I can double-click the app and it runs, but there's no File Open menu choice.)

Probably due to the fact that the Cocoa wrapper I wrote to handle dragged files is 2 lines long... Blush
I'll look into it (I have to turn in a final paper tomorrow, so I'll see if I can upload a new version this weekend.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2d Mac game Maker aidreams 3 4,931 Mar 5, 2009 12:18 PM
Last Post: aidreams