24 hour mini-contest "Space"

⌘-R in Chief
Oh!!! Silly me. I forgot to post. Here's my written-in-24-hours-entry: http://www.freaksw.com/games/spacespuds2/

Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Hey, I won because mine was the best!!
Ill finish it later probably, because its not actually a game yet. LOL

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Great turnout eh?

Alex
Sage
That game crashes, on 10.3.9 G4,
the menus work but when you try to play the game the screen goes white with a shaded bar at the bottom.
If it didnt, I think you would win....

Heh, what did I say about another contest too quickly? Corun, why didn't you enter your own contest?

Wow, 2 entrants. Mmkay.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Having contests back to back like that does mean someone who misses one can play again straight away.

Unfortunately in my case I had two busy weekends in a row.

What on Earth is Mmkay?
Luminary
just one entrant, stephen. Your sarcasm detector is set too low.
Not sure what you mean. I was counting Freak's and Unknown's.

Mmkay = Americanized slangy "okay." Sorry, it just kind of slipped out...I promise I'll never do it again.

I think that these should be about every 3 weeks or so. That gives everyone time to regroup, or develop their idea to see if it's worth pursuing as their "main thing."

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Luminary
seth's is not an entry. It is an ancient project of his that he didn't even touch within the 24 hours. I thought that was obvious from the web site and the smileys in his post, or at least when it was pointed out that it was sarcastic Huh
Sage
I thought he was just cheating when I saw on his page that it started development March 13th.

Even though I dont participate in these games, I would strongly suggest making them rare. Not too rare however.

About one every month would be prefect, especially for the mini contests. That way the quality output would be greater, people could be givin the month to work on said topic, and at the end of the month, post their project. Then a small poll thread with all the games (and download links) would be presented and all members of the forum allowed to vote on said games. As mentioned before, if you make these things too frequent, the value of them, and the anticipation of the games is greatly diminished - "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." - thus the frequency should be reduced.

Now I haven't been here that long, so my historical knowledge of this community is poor, and if you already have something like what I have been suggesting, please forgive me. And if that is the case, I believe you should scratch the "mini" contests all together. It takes a good amount of thinking to produce something worthwhile, and I don't think you want small (pardon the french) shitty programs popping up all over every two weeks from developers who:

A) had little time to plan.
B) had little time to exicute.

Which is at the root of BIBE (Bad Idea, Bad Exicution). It's hard enough having a Good Idea and failing to exicute it properly, which is where the month-long developing spree really comes into play. The reduced frequency also builds up anticipation, as well as providing advanced notice to potential participants who can then rearange their schedual to a more fitting one in regards to the compitition.

With all these things combined, the turn out will be much greater as more members will join in the compition, which will in and of itself, call a greater audiance.

No real competitor likes to compete against himself.

- Carry on.
Volte Wrote:Even though I dont participate in these games, I would strongly suggest making them rare. Not too rare however.

About one every month would be prefect, especially for the mini contests. That way the quality output would be greater, people could be givin the month to work on said topic, and at the end of the month, post their project. Then a small poll thread with all the games (and download links) would be presented and all members of the forum allowed to vote on said games. As mentioned before, if you make these things too frequent, the value of them, and the anticipation of the games is greatly diminished - "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." - thus the frequency should be reduced.

Now I haven't been here that long, so my historical knowledge of this community is poor, and if you already have something like what I have been suggesting, please forgive me. And if that is the case, I believe you should scratch the "mini" contests all together. It takes a good amount of thinking to produce something worthwhile, and I don't think you want small (pardon the french) shitty programs popping up all over every two weeks from developers who:

A) had little time to plan.
B) had little time to exicute.

Which is at the root of BIBE (Bad Idea, Bad Exicution). It's hard enough having a Good Idea and failing to exicute it properly, which is where the month-long developing spree really comes into play. The reduced frequency also builds up anticipation, as well as providing advanced notice to potential participants who can then rearange their schedual to a more fitting one in regards to the compitition.

With all these things combined, the turn out will be much greater as more members will join in the compition, which will in and of itself, call a greater audiance.

No real competitor likes to compete against himself.

- Carry on.

I completely disagree. Every week it shall be!
Sage
Quote:No real competitor likes to compete against himself.
Except me then..

Yeah, Ill enter every week if Im not doing somthing else!

unknown Wrote:I thought he was just cheating when I saw on his page that it started development March 13th.

my birthday Grin

Alex
Nibbie
I think Volte's points are all legitimate - but they leave out the fun of rushing to throw together a shitty program. I think the large volume of shitty games has value because sometimes people are inspired to make them into full better games - ex: Diordna. I like the longer contests, but I cant really take that much time out of my schedule for them - especially without prizes. I vote frequent weekend contests.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Zero-hour game jam JustinFic 7 7,130 Nov 9, 2011 12:04 AM
Last Post: funkboy
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,243 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 21,213 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 15,068 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,830 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball