Rpg Graphics

any tutorials on rpg graphics? (like the graphics of oberin. i like that style) and also, how would you place all the sprites and tiles to make a world? (im not a coder, so don't expect me to make an app that does it Rasp)
Quote this message in a reply
Good job I read your previous post (with the link to Oberin in it), otherwise I wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about....

Looking at the screenshots on the Oberin site, it appears that they use either a mixture of sprites and 3D shapes, or possibly just sprites. I think the sprites were made in a 3D package, possibly something like Poser, but it's possible that they've been drawn by hand in a graphics application. At any rate, the sprites are pre-rendered rather than live 3D shapes.

I'm going to assume for the sake of argument that the sprites were largely hand drawn. If that's the case, websites about 'pixel art' are probably the best places to start looking. Try this one, for example (link picked at random) - notice they have a game art section and a forum where you can ask for more advice.

If I'm wrong, and it's largely 3D rendered stuff, you need to start looking at 3D applications. Again, Poser is probably useful if you're doing a lot of character based stuff. For everything else, you'll need a generic 3D app. I like Cheetah3D for game related modelling. Also check out Blender for a free and sophisticated (but quite difficult to use) modelling and rendering program.

Hmm, maybe also check out the CGTalk forum for more general discussion about 3D and 2D graphics. They also have a game art forum.

I don't know of any tutorials that will cover the whole creative process... I think you'll need to learn a few separate skills, then apply them all in an intelligent way to get the result you're looking for.

With regards to how you get your graphics into a game, typically the programmer will have to write tools to allow their artists to do this. So, for example, they might make a level editor and an app for setting up animations. Alternatively, the programmer might just resort to editing special data files manually - less programming work, but more effort required to set up the graphics and level data.

A word of warning: making graphics (especially animated graphics) for games is very hard work, mainly because there's so much stuff to draw. Aside from the obvious benefit of getting practice, I don't recommend you put an enormous amount of time into making graphics for a game that you don't have programmers for. Unless you can see some way of re-purposing the graphics later, you may find that they lose their usefulness when your ideas change after a year or two. It's probably better to hone your skills a bit and build up a portfolio, then show it to developers and say 'hey, this is what I can do, do you want to work with me?'.

Hope this helps. Please post samples of your art once you've made some progress. Smile

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
thanks. im prettty good at both 2d and 3d graphics, but pixel art is still hard for me.
Apprentice
Here is a really good site with excellent sprite art tutorials.
http://www.spriteart.com/main.html