*.ma to *.3ds

y4r0ze
Unregistered

I've tried a few 3d programs för OSX, and now i'm using Modo. I realy like it and it's interface..=)
But, the problem is that Modo are using *.ma. The same format that Maya are using, and Unity needs *.3ds. Does someone know a program for OSX that can converts the *.ma format to *.3ds format so i can use my stuff it in Unity?
Quote this message in a reply
Try exporting LWO from Modo, then import that into Blender, and use Unity's .blend integration.
y4r0ze Wrote:för

How on earth did those umlauts get there?
y4r0ze
Unregistered

Frank.C: Thx. I'll try that...! =)

ThemsAllTook: Oh, i'm Swedish and using a Swedish keyboard. The Swedish word for "for" is "för"...Wink
Typed wrong...åäö...=D All three are Swedish letters...
y4r0ze
Unregistered

Doesn't work...=(
I've saved the file as *.obj instead and then imported in Blender, that works. BUT when i'm starting Unity and it tried to load the file i just get a small "blender" square and then Unity crashes. =(
There is a Maya plug-in that will export files in FBX format, which is basically a 3d file that holds absolutely everything you could possibly want in a 3d file, from there Alias has a free program called FbxConverter whcih will turn a fbx file into a 3ds file.

I don't know if Modo supports .fbx, but most applications now should start supporting it, and since it supports .ma/.mb, you might have some luck.
y4r0ze
Unregistered

Looks like Modo doesn't support export to FBX...and blender doesn't support it either...=(
Btw...Modo does use Lightwave format too...Wink
Apprentice
You might want to check this thread:

http://otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=361&highlight=modo

The gist is that Unity can import .ma and .mb filed directly provided that you have Maya installed. You do not need a Maya license on the machine.

This is because we use Maya batch mode which doesn't require a license.

Regards,

d.
y4r0ze Wrote:... when i'm starting Unity and it tried to load the file i just get a small "blender" square and then Unity crashes. =(
If Unity crashes outright I'd suggest submitting a bug report to the Unity guys, and include the offending .blend file.
Being the guy who made Unity's Blender import, I'd really like to see the file that crashes Unity. Please use the small bug reporting app that lies next to Unity & attach the blender file

TIA,

Nicholas Francis
http://www.otee.dk
y4r0ze
Unregistered

Wiee, now the problem is fixed! =)
But, i couldn't get the crash thing again, or should i say that i couldn't import my stuff into blender again? ;-)
It's probably me that doing something wrong, i've never used blender before realy...was years since last time so...

Anyway, i've solved the problem by first export the model from Modo (*.obj) and then import it into Wings (that i've worked with more then Blender). And, from Wings i could export it to *.3ds. Now things works great, but i've lost 3days on my trial version...=P
Anyway, i from what i've read and looked at this far, and it isn't much realy, i think unity is great. =)