Playing with Vue 5 Infinite

Today one of my new toys arrived: Vue 5 Infinite.

Here is the first non tutorial scene I've created using it.

[Image: experiment001.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
Here is the second test I did.

The first image took 1 minute 34 seconds to render on my 1.8 GHz G5 with 1.25 GB RAM.
[Image: experiment002mac.jpg]

The second is exactly the same scene rendered on my 1.5 GHz Sony Viao laptop with 512 MB RAM, however this only took 1 minute 20 seconds.
[Image: experiment002pc.jpg]
I'm slowly, well not that slowly actually, beginning to get to grips with the software now.

Here is a first pass at a scene from a novel I'm working on.

[Image: bridge001.jpg]
y4r0ze
Unregistered

Don't know what i should say realy...first one was bad, second one was bad to but the third one looks OK. But, that bird up in the right doesn't look right. Wink
And, the hills looks...painted in another program and then cut-N-pasted into the scene. The camera angel isn't too intressting either. =(
A little tip is too work more on the light and camera angel. Wink
This is my last one for the night.

This time I was playing with the Scatter / Replicate feature and the dropping of objects on to other objects in order to do a 1950/60s style sci-fi book cover draught concept.

[Image: perceptions.jpg]

This took 21 minutes 23 seconds on the Mac and only 15 minutes 27 seconds on the Viao.

From what I've seen of the software so far it looks as if I will be doing all my scene building and test renders on the Mac with its large screen and using PC's for the actual real rendering.
y4r0ze Wrote:Don't know what i should say realy...first one was bad, second one was bad to but the third one looks OK. But, that bird up in the right doesn't look right. Wink
And, the hills looks...painted in another program and then cut-N-pasted into the scene. The camera angel isn't too intressting either. =(
A little tip is too work more on the light and camera angel. Wink

Don't forget that the first two scenes where done after only using the software for no more than an hour. These images are a kind of 'look how easy it is to get something created in such a short time', especially seeing as the UI for the application has its own style and not one I've used before.

What did you find 'bad' about the first two?
I've done several pieces of oriental inspired non digital artwork and the semi silhouette landscape with the sunrise fits in well with it. I should make it clear that I'm not setting out to create photo realistic images with this as I've got photography for that.

Initially I was not too happy with the appearance of the hills in the third image. However the more I look at it the more I see it has an overall 1930's poster screen print colouring to it. I'm not sure now which direction to take it when I move beyond the first pass of this scene.

The focal point of the third image is the bridge crossing over, as if it was on a book cover, and hence the camera angle used.
From your timing on the PC & Mac, it seems that Vue is optimized for x86, as many ported apps are. Let's hope that the MacIntel era removes this "unfair" Wink advantage of PCs.

OK, about the images: I think the reason they look so "flat" is that they rely almost exclusively on ambient light. Perhaps you could try playing with the sun's position, or adding some additional light sources. Also (from what I remember of my experiments with Vue 4), try playing with the camera depth of field, and adding some trees. They help establishing the scale of the scene.
y4r0ze
Unregistered

Andrew Sagel: Don't like the light in the first too. They...just doesn't look intressting.
The last one have better light, but it looks very unrealistic. Wink
But like PowerMacX says, try to work with the light and the camera possition.
Take the third one, and maybe the second one (the one whith a red sun and snoww, and the one whith green hills and a bird) and play with the camra possition and light.