IRC Less-Impromptu mini-contest: "Flying" (19 EST, 00 BST)

20XX: I flat out refuse to believe that this game was coded in 4h. Proof lives in the "About" menu item alone - I'm guessing that 95% of the code is from a previous project. Still, kudos. Nice work, fun gameplay.

Jetpack Escape: As always, a clever idea from Alex Wink I love how this game combines the puzzle element that you love so much but adds action. I'd like to see this developed a bit more - this is a solid game concept, and already fun to play.

Ascent: Huh? What to do, how to play?

StuntCopter MX: Crashes on startup.

Queen Firefly: Cute Readme. Cute graphics, smooth gameplay. Needs some sort of audio feedback, and also a keyboard option for those of us using trackpads. Still, polished and nice.

Flying: Admirable, but all the characters seem too... big? Also, space between frames is far too much, and I don't think that you're calibrating the speed to be constant rather than relative to CPU.

Rings: Interesting idea, strange controls. Controls are unintuitive, difficult to grasp. Still, nice job on a fun game.

All in all fun and terrific work. I see a couple of ideas here that could be successful shareware...
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
I had a lot of fun this contest, and I actually produced something that has a hint of functionality. One day I'll be fast enough to crank out a whole game in four hours Smile

Great work to everyone involved!
Apprentice
blobbo Wrote:StuntCopter MX: Crashes on startup.

I'm going to see if I can't get a SDL bundled-app going tonight, that may fix it. WHat does your console say?
Luminary
ascent -- awsd and the mouse are the controls. they're not working properly... not quite sure why not. I may fix it at some point if I get motivated enough Smile

there's no gameplay, even then, though. It was a bit ambitious for the 2.5-3 hours I actually had to compete Sad
Apprentice
Well, I give up on the SDL bundling for now, but I've updated StuntCopter MX a little. Better background, better sprites, better physics etc etc etc. The contest link still points to the old build, but I will chronicle updates in this thread.
⌘-R in Chief
blobbo Wrote:20XX: I flat out refuse to believe that this game was coded in 4h. Proof lives in the "About" menu item alone - I'm guessing that 95% of the code is from a previous project. Still, kudos. Nice work, fun gameplay.

Of course it wasn't. I started 40 minutes late! Smile
It seems the collision detection just completely falls apart in 'Queen Firefly' unless you run the game at 1024x768 (although it's not that good there either Rasp). I've already fixed that and most everything else that I can find. Once I find some sound effects and ambient noises I'll post an update.
Apprentice
To those who were unable to run StuntCopter MX, I've uploaded a build with the necessary SDL libs bundled:

StuntCopter MX 0.2 (SDL and SDL_image INCLUDED!)
Alright, updated Queen Firefly, you can now get it from http://www.batteryacid.org/queenfirefly/. You can still grab the original version from the end of the contest from the link onesadcookie posted, if you'd like.
Apprentice
I think u should take stunt copter mx to the next lvl,from a gadget to a game. like you have to pick up evil ninjas and stuff and throw them around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,061 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 20,300 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,369 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,649 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Mini Contest Ideas FlamingHairball 34 21,291 Aug 1, 2009 07:51 AM
Last Post: Oddity007