Suggest A Path To Begin?

terrible
Unregistered

Hello everyone. I would like to get into making a game on OS X, and I was wondering what a good path to begin was? I'm interested in making a 2d tile based RPG type game.

Originally I looked at Flash, but decided against it once I learned that it is easy for people to disassemble your code and change it. I bought a book called Learning Cocoa with Objective-C (O'Reilly). Is that a decent book?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
I haven't read the book, but I will say that it's probably a bad idea to discount an environment solely on things like disassembly. Let Flash's other suckiness discredit it, not that Wink

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Sage
The O'Reilly website is pretty good so I'd assume the book is a fairly good source to start with. If you're just looking to make a Mac OS X only game, go ahead and use Cocoa. It'll save you tons of time in the end what with Xcode and Interface Builder.

Cocoa is a great API to do some learning programming. Tons of online sites too. Good luck!
terrible Wrote:I bought a book called Learning Cocoa with Objective-C (O'Reilly). Is that a decent book?

Just as an aside (don't take this too personal) but I would never buy a book and then ask people if it's good.

On to your question, Learning Cocoa is about, you guessed it, teaching you how to write apps with the Cocoa framework. I have the first edition and most of the stuff dealt with GUI stuff live tables, buttons, ... It's a very good book to help you start writing apps in Cocoa.

For games, it isn't that helpful. The type of game you want to make requires you to have some knowledge about NSView and about the various drawing operations. However, you can start reading that book to become familiar with Cocoa, and later you can visit the ADC site for additional documentation on NSView and other graphical classes.

Good luck!

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
terrible
Unregistered

Thank you for all the replies, you have been very helpful.
terrible Wrote:Hello everyone. I would like to get into making a game on OS X, and I was wondering what a good path to begin was? I'm interested in making a 2d tile based RPG type game.

Spiderworks has an ebook Cocoa Game Programming Workshop that teaches you how to create a game in Cocoa that's similar to the type of game you want to make. I don't know how good it is, but it's only $10.

Mark Szymczyk
http://www.meandmark.com
terrible Wrote:Originally I looked at Flash, but decided against it once I learned that it is easy for people to disassemble your code and change it. I bought a book called Learning Cocoa with Objective-C (O'Reilly). Is that a decent book?

It's a decent enough book, especially for just learning Cocoa but you do need to know the basics of C and you won't be creating anything like a game with it - only with your knowledge afterwards can you start doing that Grin

I presume you got the latest, second edition. It is outdated as now we use xcode, but the language and the basics are the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to handle file path site broken kamelito 2 2,963 Jul 25, 2009 02:45 AM
Last Post: kamelito
  framework search path scarypajamas 0 3,223 Dec 23, 2008 01:50 PM
Last Post: scarypajamas
  XCode path LWStrike 4 4,522 Apr 6, 2006 05:11 PM
Last Post: LWStrike
  What "technology" would you suggest? WhatMeWorry 6 3,341 Sep 23, 2005 12:58 PM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX