How old were you when you got your first computer? What kind of computer?

Apprentice
When I was 7, I was home from school for a week because of chicken pox. A day or two into it, my dad came home with a Color Classic. I played Hellcats on that thing for hours at a time Rasp
Quote this message in a reply
1983 - ZX Spectrum 48K
I was 10. We sat all night trying to tune the television into the computer when it first arrived only to discover it had a dud power supply. I started messing around with Sinclair BASIC. My main love was writing adventure games, although I did try some Manic Miner style platform games. At some point I got LASER BASIC and wrote a 'Everyone's a Wally' / 'Pajamarama' style game.

1987 - Commodore 128
I started my first dabbling at assembly (6510) on this one. Also got my first disk drive (1571). No more waiting 10 minutes for stuff to load from the very slow Commodore cassette.

1990 - Commodore Amiga 500
Due to the failure of the 1571 drive for my C128 I upgraded to the first of my three Amigas. 68000 assembler coding and my first look at C.

1991 - Commodore Amiga 500+
I feel guilty thinking about it now but for the only time in my computer owning life I sold my current loyal computer to buy a new one.

1992 - Commodore Amiga 1200
I got this computer direct from Commodore via their developer scheme. I had the delight of this one sitting on my desk while reading in the Amiga press that it was either just a rumour or did not even exist at all!

1995 - Cyrix 150Mhz PC
With the lack of new Amigas about I had no choice but to buy my first PC. Brand loyalty is all well and good, but when the time comes you have to get a computer that will do the job you need it to. My first adventures in Visual C++ on this one.

1998 - PII 333Mhz PC
I did my first OpenGL work on this computer.

1999 - Sinclair ZX81
A suprise addition to the computers in my collection. This fully boxed ZX 81 with 16K RAM pack came to me via marriage.

2000 - Palm IIIc
My first hand held and the first computer to actually make me some money. My wife still uses this and plays some of my games on it.

2001 - Dell PIII 400MHz workstation and Dell Inspirion 7000 laptop
The only computers I've bought second hand. I turned the workstation into a server and had my first network.

2001 - Compaq iPAQ 3850
Yet another platform for me to release games on in my plans to conquer the world. This PDA also brought some money in.

2002 - G4 iMac (the good looking iMac)
I got this for 4 reasons.
1. I was feed up with firewire cards, video cameras and editing software not speaking to each other on my PC's.
2. The LCD screen on the arm looked so good and very useful.
3. The Mac now came with a real OS.
4. It would run Lightwave.

I ordered this within a few days of it being announced and waited over a month for it. It arrived on my birthday.

This computer now acts as my email server and my wife's computer.

2002 - 12" G3 700 MHz iBook
This replaced my Dell laptop.

2003 - 14" G4 800 Mhz iBook
The logic card failed on my 12" iBook twice so Apple set me this as a replacement. As it came with 10.3 it saved me the cost of an upgrade.

2004 - 1.5Ghz Sony Viao Laptop
I needed a modern Windows computer to learn .NET on as unfortunately in the UK there is greater opportunity to make a Windows based living than a Mac one as a developer.

2005 - G5 20" iMac
I wanted more screen resolution and something to run Adobe CS on. Also my G4 iMac was nearing the end of its 3 year warranty.

2005 - Dell Axiom PDA
I needed my car sat nav software updated but my iPaq was not up to the job any more.

You can tell that I'm bored today can't you and that I should be doing some work instead Wink
Malarkey Wrote:Wow. Who didn't get a C64 here and learn to program on it?

Me. Sad
Around November 1983 my parents snuck a Mattel Aquarius [Image: aquarius-expander.jpg]
into the house, for about $105 it came with 16K RAM Expansion [Image: aquarius_16k_ram.jpg]
game controllers, a six inch wide thermal printer, a casette recorder for all your back up needs, Night Stalker, and probably the deal kicker that my Mom said "Bill will love this" as she pulled out the credit card: TRON Deadly Discs [Image: aquarius_tron.jpg]

I was the only other kid in town and one of like 400 people on the entire planet that owned one of these things. It was cool, I could make these pictures:
[Image: aquarius_bw.jpg]

This little program and a thousand changes to it kept me busy months
Code:
5 PRINT CHR$(11)
10 PI=3.14159
20 FOR J=30 TO 2 STEP -2
30 R=J
40 FOR I=0 TO 2*PI STEP .1
50 X=R*COS(I)
60 Y=R*SIN(I)
70 PSET(40+X,40+Y)
80 NEXT I
90 NEXT J
Eleven when my mother bought a Performa 460 for her MBA; the Mac was given away for five years or so, but I got it back earlier this year, and it still runs, and has been the system I've been drafting my uni assignments on. ClarisWorks still launches as being registered to "mba enterprises" Rasp And Prince of Persia still rocks Rasp

Thirteen when my mother bought a Performa 6200 for my GCSE's; the first system I did any coding on (CodeWarrior, followed by Klik&Play, followed by a return to CodeWarrior), and later the first of my systems to be upgraded with an modem Wink

Also the first of my systems to suffer the death of a hard drive; since then every system I've had has had at least one hard drive die...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Founder
Tandy Color Computer 6809, 16kB, 8 colors, with a super fast tape drive Wink

That was in JHS, at the height of the Atari 2600 craze. The CoCo had a slew of magazines and a great community of hacker users. Many "clone" games with clever title twists were available, like Zaksud (Zaxxon), and so on. I got a CoCo2 and 3 briefly before moving to an Amiga 500. I have great memories of my 6809 and 68000 days.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
>Mattel Aquarius
Ah, "chicklet style" keyboards! We were too spoiled, weren't we!!!

I remember spending so much time digesting every word in Byte magazine, when they mentioned a new machine. So many companies tried their hands at computers in the 8-bit days. What sticks in my mind the most was how EVERYONE could program, since the BASIC prompt was the first thing you saw when you turned on the machine -- these days, its rip/burn, & surf.

I also really enjoyed watching the BBC Computer Show on PBS.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I believe I was 14 when my dad bought a Performa 5200 running at 75 Mhz. Cool machine with cool games (Spectre Supreme). It was then when I started to do some AppleScript programming, followed by Pascal.

The second computer I got to play with was a PowerMac 6500 (still have it btw) where I had a copy of CodeWarrior Pro 2 (Learning Edition) installed.

Much later I got an iMac blueberry (still have and still runs, but is not used so much), the first computer I could declare my own. Followed by a G5 (almost 4 years later) which is my current machine.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
There was an Apple IIe in the house when I was born. This was upgraded to a IIGS when I was 3 or so, and we got a Mac Plus around the same time. The first computer that was actually mine was an LC II. I was... 8, I think? Maybe 7. Can't remember clearly.

Good times.

- Alex Diener
GEEZ, was no one here a 99/4A kid? Grin

My dad worked at TI in the day and got an employee discount on it all. So I had the works: a TI-99/4A with loads of hand-soldered modifications, the big gray PE Box, ram expansion, two disk drives, speech synth, and later on a modem and a RAM disk (512K baby.. yeah!! Smile)

We almost bought an Amiga after that but they were just too pricey. So I ended up with a PC, mostly running Linux after '93 or so. Smile

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Dan Potter Wrote:GEEZ, was no one here a 99/4A kid? Grin
My first computer was a 99/4A. My parents bought one for the family when TI went out of business. I was 12 or 13.

Mark Szymczyk
http://www.meandmark.com
Sage
The first programming I ever did was on a Mac classic, with 496kb RAM, if I recall. A couple friends and I wrote a pretty rockin TRON game for it -- I was responsible for the AI and they did the graphics and UI. That was back in high school, in the early 90s.

The first computer which I could call "mine" however, was a pentium 90, on which I learned DOS mode VGA and eventually win32 programming, and later BeOS & linux/X11 programming. It wasn't until 10.2 when I came back to the fold...
Right, my turn.

First computer I ever used: Centris 660AV with System 7. I played Astro Chase 3D for hours on end, but I never actually beat the darn thing. (How I wish we still had it so I could beat it!) I also learned to program on it, in TrueBASIC (note to people: NEVER use that.). After a while, I moved on to Visual MacStandardBasic, where I stumbled around for a while, learning next to nothing.

Soon, the family got a PowerMac G3 tower thingy which ran OS 8 for a while, then 9. That's when I discovered METAL BASIC, which taught me to a) push limits, and b) read books on other languages so I can stop using this piece of crap. METAL made me inadvertently learn the nuances of object-oriented programming, if not simply because I read that book on Java, and another one on C++.

Then came the iMac. Ah, the iMac. Good machine. Then the next iMac. Ah, the next iMac. Good machine. Soon the Older iMac (blueberry) started having this monitor problem, and it's dead now. I'm gonna make the case into a lamp.

The standing these days is an eMac for me with extra RAM, an eMac for my brother which runs horribly slow due to insufficient RAM, and an iBook for my mom.

I guess the nice thing about having a dad who's an ex-programmer is that a) there's lots of extra equipment in the basement (monitors are especially useful to have extras of) and b) he knows that I like to have a computer that can actually run the software I need. So we get computer upgrades every few years.

I guess it's fortunate that I'll be going to college when I do. The Intel Macs will be out by then, so I can have OS X, Windows, and Linux all on the same box.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Nibbie
Hmm.... my first computer was a Mac Classic... it had one game: Oregon Trail 1.0. It had SuperPaint, WriteNow!, a secret ROM disk that could me made visable ob an obscure startup key combo, and lots of other neat features. It was pretty pumped too. I got a massive 4MB of ram, an 80GB hard drive, and had a friend that had a CD burner. He could make CDs.... and this was when a high end computer came with 10-40MB hard drives and 1.4MB floppies were not quite standard...

At some point Chipmunk Basic...
Later ResEdit...
I had no games so I made them.

Later I bought a PPC 7600/132. 200MB of ram, 10 GB HD. PPC 604. It was decent but MetaL crashed, CodeWarrior was expensive. Photoshop was slow.

Now I have a Powerbook G4 667 with a 60GB HD and 768 MB of ram. It does everything I need it for and I won't be replacing it until spring/summer 2006. It's not really that slow. For example encoding video gets 40fps on a dual 2.0 G5 with 2GB of ram, wheras it gets 22fps on mine. You would think the G5 would get 100fps or something...

Should I hold out for photon channel computers that run on light?
Bio-computers that make the animal protection agencies adopt old comps?
Get Liquid-N cool and and replace the clock chip? Do I hear 4Ghz dual G5 Wink

As my brother of 3 years and two days fought in Halo on my dad's G5, I wondered what his mindframe around computers will be. He grows up able to skip scenes on DVDs, without touching a VHS, never seeing any code or command line. The computer assumes an almost magic mystique.

I'm a fantasy fan. In the abscence of magic, computer programming and electronics are the next best thing. Maybe it's a power thing... Wink

And my mom asked me to clean my room. I try to be efficient and when she saw "the fastest code is the code that doesn't run at all" in one of my books... I think that explained a bit.

I wonder what would happen if a kid was taught to code along with reading, writing, addition and subtraction?
Joseph Duchesne Wrote:I wonder what would happen if a kid was taught to code along with reading, writing, addition and subtraction?

Check out the Logo programming language. I remember them teaching us SOLI Logo, a French implementation, in elementary school (I was in French immersion). Maybe you remember seeing something like this robotic turtle in elementary school?

Edit: here's some pics:

[Image: Turtle.jpg]

[Image: turtle.jpg]

[Image: turtledisk1-260.jpg]
Apprentice
I was about 7-8 years old when I realised that the box my dad had in his study was rather fun to play with. It was a Sharp MZ-700 and it spoke BASIC. This was around 1988 or so. I got my first PC around 92-93. Compaq something 486. 25 mhz. More PC's followed.
A couple of months ago I got myself this Mac Mini.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How do you connect an Xbox 360 controller to a Computer? mia111 2 3,029 Oct 18, 2009 03:57 PM
Last Post: Blacktiger