Quake 3 source released - XCode project included

Sage
The guy who built it is called zaphod, there is a config file called zaphod.cfg in the pak0.pk3 files!!
Ive had more success with a unix version of the mod sdk that was release ages ago than this for building custom qagames and cgames and stuff, does anyone know why they are in .bundles?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
GtkRadiant already works on the Mac (under X11, but hey, it's usable).

http://www.qeradiant.com/
Sage
It doesnt work on my computer, but I have XDarwin installed is that possibly the reason, I thought XDarwin was X11.

I had totally forgotten about GtkRadiant. I wonder if GtkRadiant's existence was one of the motivations for releasing the source for Q3Radiant, since it's kinda already out there anyway? Also, I wonder if it's even worth it to bother with the Radiant source on the Mac if GtkRadiant will presumably be taking advantage of the 'real deal' now that it's out?

On a slightly different Q3 content subject - I don't know a whole bunch about this, but as I understand it there is still no (affordable/free) way of making Q3 models on the Mac. Even if GtkRadiant is sufficient for level design, is there a good solution for models? I'm thinking along the lines of Milkshape I guess. I don't think Radiant does models does it?

[Edit] I guess I'm trying to assess what would be needed for a complete workflow using Q3 on the Mac now that the source is out. What are the holes? What would be needed to fill them? Would it be worth the effort to get the complete workflow happening on the Mac, or is it more effort than it's worth to just recommend everyone buy a PC to develop content for Q3? Would it be worth it for us (the iDevGames community) to ask somebody like Aspyr what they think about this? Maybe they could help by outlining what is needed, if they think it would be fruitful that is. I don't know, I'm just bouncing some ideas around right now I suppose.
A thought/question on the licensing front - It's GPL'd which essentially means that you are completely allowed to resell whatever you make with it as long as you include/make available (for free electronically or maximum shipping distribution cost of $10 as I recall) the source code to the product. I don't think that applies to whatever content you make yourself does it? IOW, let's say Joe Cool Software made a game with Q3 and sold it with all the source code they used to make it with, including all the *special secret*[/sarcasm] code they added, but didn't allow redistribution of their models/levels/artwork... How would this not make for a really great commercial development pipeline? What's to lose? You can take whatever you want of the source code 'cause I guarantee it ain't gonna be special, but without the assets, what good is it?

If this is true, then for the price of a PC (to make content) you can make your own commercial game for the Mac now using the same game engine as most of the AAA First-Person Shooter titles currently available on the platform.

It always seemed to me that the sucky thing about the commercial feasibility of the GPL is that no one would buy your game if they could make it from your own source legally. But it seems I may have missed an important point. They can legally make the executable but they can't legally play it without paying for the content (if that's the way you want it). Is this correct?
Is the content even included? I was under the assumption that it only includes the source, but the actual content is still copywrited.
Sage
You need to have the pk3 files, in the baseq3 folder. So you do need to own the game to play it still.

AnotherJake Wrote:Is this correct?
Yup. In the QuakeCon keynote Carmack said he's looking forward to some day seeing somebody ship a commercial title with GPL source included (based on Q3 or otherwise I suppose).

One thing that's uncertain at this point is if GTKRadiant can be used for commercial game content. According to its current license it can't (well, unless you pay) which is presumably why Id GPL'd the Q3Radiant source. There's some confusion over this since GTKRadiant is a derivative of Q3Radiant, but it forked while Q3Radiant was still proprietary.
⌘-R in Chief
AnotherJake Wrote:as I understand it there is still no (affordable/free) way of making Q3 models on the Mac.

There's a Blender plugin for MD3 exporting. I'm not positive that it's bullet proof (I haven't even modeled a cube in Blender yet, unfortunately), but it seems to be used by a number of people.

Quote:I guess I'm trying to assess what would be needed for a complete workflow using Q3 on the Mac now that the source is out. What are the holes? What would be needed to fill them?

AFAIK, there are none.

Quote:Would it be worth the effort to get the complete workflow happening on the Mac, or is it more effort than it's worth to just recommend everyone buy a PC to develop content for Q3? Would it be worth it for us (the iDevGames community) to ask somebody like Aspyr what they think about this? Maybe they could help by outlining what is needed, if they think it would be fruitful that is. I don't know, I'm just bouncing some ideas around right now I suppose.

My biggest question right now is, do I work on my own engine, or do I start using Q3? I'm very very much leaning towards the latter. I was planning on using MD3 and BSP in one of my games anyway. I'm actually very excited about this, but I need to find the time to learn how to use Radiant (I've learned a little) and Blender (I've learned next to nothing). I'm not sure how much coding would be involved in making the game idea I have a reality, but one thing's for sure: the 325,000+ lines of code in the Q3 source is a lot more than I could ever hope to write in my own engine right now.
AnotherJake Wrote:It always seemed to me that the sucky thing about the commercial feasibility of the GPL is that no one would buy your game if they could make it from your own source legally.

If World of Warcraft could be compiled by open source I can assure you that 99.997% of the people would still buy the boxed copy because of the hassle. But I think you might be right about the assets
Jake Wrote:If World of Warcraft could be compiled by open source I can assure you that 99.997% of the people would still buy the boxed copy because of the hassle. But I think you might be right about the assets

...except it will only take one of us to compile it and post a binary for everyone to enjoy. Wink
There's still the question of content. That's why people would have still had to buy Quake III even if it was open source from day 1.
⌘-R in Chief
akb825 Wrote:There's still the question of content. That's why people would have still had to buy Quake III even if it was open source from day 1.

Legally anyway. Smile
UnifiedMac
Unregistered

I have an origonal Quake III Arena CD for PC, could I get the content off that so it would be able to run?
Luminary
Yes, the data files are compatible.