Quake 3 source released - XCode project included

akb825 Wrote:There's still the question of content. That's why people would have still had to buy Quake III even if it was open source from day 1.

That's the million dollar question (poor pun intended). My current observation is that we as developers are not lawyers, and until someone takes the lead and proves that there aren't any hidden gotchas behind making money with it, most programmers are gonna chicken out. - NOTE: But of course none of that will ever happen on the Mac without a complete tool chain first.
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
As soon as I have time, I'm going for it. I don't know when this will be, but I've poked around the source code for a few hours already and it isn't too bad to read. It's hard to know where to start though. In other words, ok, I have the code, but now what? It's huuuge. What parts are reeeally game specific and what parts are really the engine? There's no documentation on the scripting parts of how Q3 works so that'll have to be figure out from the code.
FreakSoftware Wrote:Legally anyway. Smile
It would be no different from simply getting the app off of a friends CD or burning a copy for yourself.
⌘-R in Chief
akb825 Wrote:It would be no different from simply getting the app off of a friends CD or burning a copy for yourself.

I don't know what your point is.
If it's open source, but the content isn't included, you could steal the content from a friend's disk or download the image to get the content, and build the app. If it's closed source, you could steal the content and the app from a friend's or download the image with both. Either way, it's the same whether or not it's open source.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that you didn't get it, I was quoting you for context. I wanted to clarify my point earlier about how it doesn't matter whether or not it's open source as long as it's still necessary to buy the content.
⌘-R in Chief
Ohh... Ok. Yes, I agree with you. The only downside to it is that if you do something tricky, someone else can view your code, see what you did, and use that same code in their product. That's also a benefit though, as you can steal others' code. The real question is, are you the guy who's going to be writing the tricky code, or the guy who copies everyone else's?
⌘-R in Chief
AAAAAAAAllllllllllsooooooo................ 3rd party people can use your code and just replace the content with open source versions to make the same game and release that for free. Is someone really going to do it? Depends if it's a cool enough game, I suppose. It's almost like mods, but even with mods you still have buy the binary to run them where as with GPL'd code, someone just takes it, builds it, and off they go.

I don't like GPL very much, but I think it's worth it for Q3 if someone writes a better shader implementation and shadows etc..

BTW: GTKRadiant is $5,000 US to license from id Software for a commercial project, $10,000 if you want limited tech support. I know of one game in this community that's made over $10,000 with very little effort to get the word out and sell some copies, so, $5k for a good project seems pretty reasonable to me. Anyone wanna loan me $10 grand? I need the other $5 to hire some artists. Smile
Um, didn't Quake III come out before shaders were even implemented into OpenGL? So I think it would be more like *any* shader implementation. Rasp
Luminary
"shader" has too many meanings.

Quake III has a shader system which uses simple multitexturing and blending to achieve its effects.

I suspect that replacing it with something that uses GLSL or ARB_vp/ARB_fp wouldn't be too difficult.

Adding proper shadows to everything, though, might be.
⌘-R in Chief
The shader system in Quake III also does the spinning fans and texture animation... go figure. Smile
Hey, at least you could still write shaders for per-fragment lighting. Rasp If you want to add shaders for the sole reason of adding shaders (vertex and fragment programs), per-fragment lighting is always available. Wink
Now if Omnigroup would release the source code for Oni, we could play it again on OS X.

[edit]I just saw that the Omnigroup has made a more recent update of the oni application which now is fully playable in OS X[/edit]

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Apprentice
I still have problems trying to start my compiled quake 3. I only get a white screen. I have no idea what version my PC quake 3 is, and I can't find that omnigroup port. (only a demo)
Is there a osx binary somewhere that I can download and use that works on osx 10.3.9?
Apprentice
OneSadCookie Wrote:Adding proper shadows to everything, though, might be.

Stencil shadows are already supported on the animated models (players, items, weapons, etc)...

type this into the console:
\set r_stencilbits 8
\vid_restart
\set cg_shadows 2
Luminary
they're not "real" stencil shadows though, in that they simply darken what they hit by a certain amount rather than actually occluding light. They also suffer from nasty artifacts like falling through geometry.

they were cool when Quake III was released, but they're not really going to cut the mustard for a new game.