PNG+Alpha

anklebiter
Unregistered

Does anyone have any C sources that could split a PNG+Alpha file into two picture handles? The first handle would have the picture and the second handle would store the alpha mask.

Thank you in advance!
Quote this message in a reply
Oldtimer
Picture handles? Do you mean OpenGL texture or really the old-school PixMapHandles? Either way, it should be simple. Just copy three bytes from the image to the "color part", then one byte to the "alpha part", and repeat.
Like Fenris, I'm not sure exactly what you need to know from your question, but here's something which might give you some pointers.... I wrote the AlphaPicture plugin for REALbasic which uses QuickTime to load any QT-compatible image, then splits it into a separate colour image and alpha channel. Of course, there are a few calls to REALbasic's plugin API which you can disregard, but most of the code is relevant if you want to use QuickTime. It should give you an idea of the general principle in any case.

The source file is nominally C++, but most of the code is plain C.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
anklebiter
Unregistered

Fenris Wrote:Picture handles? Do you mean OpenGL texture or really the old-school PixMapHandles? Either way, it should be simple. Just copy three bytes from the image to the "color part", then one byte to the "alpha part", and repeat.

The variable type is PicHandle. I am currently using two PICT files to make a map and I want to move over to PNG+Alpha.

I need to put a PNG+Alpha file into two PicHandles, one for the sprite, one for the alpha. After that, my existing code will take care of the rest.
anklebiter
Unregistered

I found some code from OneSadCookie's site. I made some changes until I got this. Works like a charm!

Code:
void NewTextureMapFromPNG ( ConstStr255Param fileName, int ID )
{
OSStatus                 err;
Rect                     rect;
GraphicsImportComponent  import;
ComponentResult          result;
void *                   data;
GWorldPtr                world;
FSSpec                   fsSpec;
OSErr                    osErr;

osErr = FSMakeFSSpec ( dataFolder.vRefNum, dataFolder.parID, fileName, &fsSpec );

err = GetGraphicsImporterForFile ( &fsSpec, &import);
result = GraphicsImportGetNaturalBounds ( import, &rect );

data = malloc ( 4 * rect.bottom * rect.right );

err = QTNewGWorldFromPtr ( &world, k32ARGBPixelFormat, &rect, NULL, NULL, 0, data, 4 * rect.right );

result = GraphicsImportSetGWorld ( import, world, NULL );
result = GraphicsImportDraw ( import );

err = CloseComponent ( import );

glGenTextures ( 1, &map [ ID ] .ID );
glBindTexture ( GL_TEXTURE_2D, map [ ID ] .ID );
glPixelStorei ( GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1 );

glTexParameterf ( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP );
glTexParameterf ( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP );
glTexParameteri ( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST );
glTexParameteri ( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST );

map [ ID ] .size = rect.right;

glTexImage2D ( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA8, rect.right, rect.bottom, 0, GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV, data );

DisposeGWorld ( world );
}

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  png without alpha fine, png with alpha, nothing dave05 6 6,858 Jun 11, 2005 10:31 AM
Last Post: dave05