3d Object Readers

nabobnick
Unregistered

When reading in 3d objects is there usually a separate step in the reading where you convert from the native format (obj, 3ds, etc.) that has been read into memory to a more efficient representation like Vertex Arrays or Vertex Buffer Objects? Or do you skip the native format and process the data straight into Vertex Arrays without having an object that represents the native format in memory?

In an 3d object editor I could see where you would want the native format in memory all the time to make saving the object easier, but I'm not sure if you would want that in the game as it would require extra memory although it does help parse the format in the first place which would possibly simplify the code a bit.

Also since this is my first attempt at this I've noticed that when converting to Vertex Arrays/Buffer Objects I would end up with a lot of small VAs and VBOs due to the fact that you have to bind textures before you draw and each piece of geometry would need to be separate because of this. Is this correct or am I missing something?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
In 3D object editors It wont be storing an obj or 3ds, etc. in memory but It will convert what it is using into that format when you save.
It would be best not to store the obj data once you have loaded it into VA and VBOs because It will no longer be required.
Each peice of geometry doesnt have to be seperate if you use the same texture for the entire model, You would have to carfully texture map it in your editor though.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
nabobnick
Unregistered

I'm working with existing objects so I have no control over how they are textured. For example for a humanoid figure each part of the body looks like it has a different texture applied to it. In this case are many small VAs or VBOs justified?
Sage
If there are many small parts of the body.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!