The Six Indie Mistakes

A good article, though it doesn't necessarily provide ways to avoid these traps. Knowing about them should be enough.

The teamwork is still the toughest one for myself, and I think a primary topic with which many of us here struggle. If we could make a community, maybe even extend our own, to be able to match up programmers/artists/sound & musicians/testers more effectively... that would be groovy.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Quote this message in a reply
From that link, An indepth tale of Ion Storm and Daikatana

I would say that article should be mandatory reading for every game player, just in case they get the urge to ever be a game designer!

Perhaps Mel Gibson should have made "The Passion of Romero", with blood and tears all around, with the Press and gamer public acting as the cruel roman guards with their whips of words.
The two that are my personal ruin are:

"I've got my design in my head, and now I just have to make it."

and

"I don't understand this. I'll figure this part out as I go along."
the biggest problem i am having with game programming is that i cant do any art. I can barely draw a stick figure. So teaming up with a 3d modeller would be great for me.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Sage
codemattic Wrote:The two that are my personal ruin are:

"I've got my design in my head, and now I just have to make it."

and

"I don't understand this. I'll figure this part out as I go along."
Those are a couple of mine as well. My biggest is lack of teamwork. I have no team at all. I don't like working over the internet with people. I like physically sitting down, writing things down, drawing on a white board, and being able to use gestures and acting to get ideas figured out. Any one here live near Grand Rapids, MI? Rasp
kodex Wrote:the biggest problem i am having with game programming is that i cant do any art. I can barely draw a stick figure. So teaming up with a 3d modeller would be great for me.

Well technically thats not a "game programming issue", its a game graphics issue.
But hell, make a stick figure game!!!
There are examples out there, a crazy online MUD for one, that crazy ultra-violent stick figure karate Flash animation, the stick figure rag doll physics thing.

Its a start. The trouble with teaming up with artists before you have something they can work with is, they get tired of waiting, they feel they are being played, and they move on. It would be the same if you had a ready to go engine and the artists tell you wait another week, repeatedly before you put a single asset into the game.

So use free models from turbosquid, or other sources, make a demo, and uh
...hope that there is an artist or two that the other devs here haven't driven away.

If your doing a vehicle game, that new kid, Buzzboy_109 is doing some nice model , grab some models from him before he goes back to school!
Don't tell me not to make my own music! Grr, snarl, claw.

Now, if only I could make graphis in a style that doesn't look like it's something out of Looney Tunes...in other words, it's always good to work with someone whose skills fit with yours (hi whogben!).

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Yeah, I'd have to disagree with the amount of emphasis these articles put on working with a team. There's a lot to be said for doing everything yourself.

- Alex Diener
Yeah I agree. Maybe it's not the most efficient way to get stuff done Smile but it's an interesting experience. I made this all by myself (code, graphics, design, music, all of it...) in about a week:

http://gamedev.allusion.net/softprj/reverie/

It's not a game, it's a Demo, but you get the idea...

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
I don't think working by yourself necessarily leads to poor quality, since some people can reasonably produce all aspects of a game, but if you're trying to do anything serious (which I imagine is the focus of this article) it will probably take years to get it done. Having just one programmer though is not so bad, since art can easily take up more than half of your time.

If you're making some small shareware game like tetris or something, it would just be the difference between 2 months and 4 months.

Aiming too high is still a big problem- stop trying to make MMORPGs and aim for MUDs (which is still actually a lot of work to make well.)
I'd say don't even aim for a MUD or an RPG. Make Pong, or some really simple twitch game, that requires no complex infrastructures.

Start simple, simple, simple, as the article's author stated.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Keep in mind that articles like these are targetted towards commercial games competing in the Windows world... in that rough wasteland, it is nearly impossible for a lone wolf to complete and publish a successful game.

However, indie Mac game programming is much more lenient. There are many lone wolves here, some famous like Brian Greenstone and Jeff Vogel, who repeatedly release new games which are 90% their own work.

I think the main thing to take home from articles like there are to choose a realistic game as a goal and then to not quit until it is done (speaking in terms of losing interest/growing bored).
"The only commercial art form that has a single author anymore is books. Everything else is a team effort. Games are no exception."

That is just plain wrong.

The article is complete rubbish. About all it says of any use is that Indie game developers tend to aim too high. We already knew that.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Yeah, I'm agreeing with reubert. And "Just learn DirectX?" I think not. Try "Just learn SDL and OpenGL," or even "Just learn what you need to." Perhaps "Don't let your lack of knowledge limit you."

It has some valid points, but, as HAL would say, the author needs to "take a stress pill and think things over."

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff