Newbie Inquiries

Doobfoo Wrote:I'm going to assume that it won't be productive for me to juggle learning two languages at once?

When you get comfortable with programming, switching between different languages gets to be fun.

Starting out it's just going to be really, really annoying and probably very confusing.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Quote this message in a reply
Not only can switching between languages be fun but you can also learn new design patterns and ways of thinking which can carry over between the languages.

But yeah, I would imagine it would be counterproductive to learn more than one language at a time. There are no rules though, so one is certainly free to attempt learning two at once. Try it! If it turns out to be a hassle then obviously it's easy to narrow down to just one.
AnotherJake Wrote:...
1) learn C
2) learn how to program OpenGL using GLUT on the Mac or Windows
3) learn how to use SDL instead of GLUT for more robust support
4) learn a little Objective-C and Cocoa for a couple weeks -- not much, but just enough to understand what's going on
5) learn to develop games in OpenGL on iPhone

I couldn't agree more. This is perfect. Though I would prefer to use some prefab Cocoa environment for learning OpenGL and worry about the specifics later, skipping GLUT entirely.

I think I misstated my position earlier. What I should have said is that before diving into platform X, you should check your motivation. Is the draw of the iPhone stronger than the draw to simply create games? That's what I wanted to convey about my IRC conversation with Doobfoo: that the game itself is more of a draw than the extra step for the iPhone. There are many paths to getting a game finished, but some will give you less grief to achieve the same goal, as long as your goal isn't too specific.

I think that's really all I wanted to say here.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
diordna Wrote:I couldn't agree more. This is perfect. Though I would prefer to use some prefab Cocoa environment for learning OpenGL and worry about the specifics later, skipping GLUT entirely.
I just like GLUT because it's out-of-the-way and doesn't require much learning to use (heck, it was designed for learning OpenGL), but a prefab Cocoa environment would be ideal, yes.

diordna Wrote:I think I misstated my position earlier. What I should have said is that before diving into platform X, you should check your motivation. Is the draw of the iPhone stronger than the draw to simply create games? That's what I wanted to convey about my IRC conversation with Doobfoo: that the game itself is more of a draw than the extra step for the iPhone. There are many paths to getting a game finished, but some will give you less grief to achieve the same goal, as long as your goal isn't too specific.

Yes, that certainly makes sense. Choosing a path carefully is definitely worth the extra effort, because like you said, there may very well be much more work involved one way rather than the other. I guess that's what I was saying too, although I wasn't considering iPhone to be something to be wary of. But like you said, if all you wanna do is make games, there are easier ways than starting on iPhone.
Apprentice
What kind of programming projects would you guys recommend while learning a new language. I'm understanding the syntax, but I can't think of simple beginner exercises to test my knowledge so it really sinks in.
2D pong. That'll give you a taste for collision detection. If you're lucky, you'll have trouble with paddle collisions, (a phenomenon known as "tunneling"). Learning how to deal with this issue will improve your understanding of how game programmers handle time and frame rate --Both fundamental concepts in any game engine.
Nibbie
Does someone have sites where they have small problems, things to exercise programming for beginners?