2D Lighting

I prefer it at the lower left, myself, since it makes more sense with mathematics. OpenGL also uses the lower left for the viewport and for the default coordinate system.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I always thought of the origin at the top-left to be an artifact of early video tech ( early 80's ), where blitting top top-left to bottom-right was faster, than the other way around. In the old DOS programming days, the top-left pixel was at the start of video memory.

Given the advent in the 90s of cheap 2D-acellerated video, I assume everybody stuck with the top-left for convention.

Personally, I always thought it was stupid. When I plot on paper, my origin's in the lower left. I like my computer to work the way I do things on paper, and in my head.
Sage
Sure, but it also makes sense for laying out information. Most written languages move down right? So it makes sense for a lot of GUI stuff. Just not so much for graphics stuff.
If it bothers you, override -isFlipped to return YES and you will have the same wrong coordinate system the rest of the worlds computers use.
Sage
codemattic Wrote:If it bothers you, override -isFlipped to return YES and you will have the same wrong coordinate system the rest of the worlds computers use.
You can also change the transformation matrix that Quartz uses if you aren't using Cocoa.
Oldtimer
I'm with Skorche here - I've just flipped my Y axis to be in the bottom left corner, after years upon years of having it top left. I have a really hard time coping with it, since I'm so used to thinking "text" - my map files are laid out with the first character representing the top left tile, and so on. But I guess it'll pass...
I've never standed for the top left, I always change it.

Fight the upper-left corner power! They're poisoning your mind and causing you misery!
DoG
the top-right corner being zero coordinates is a relict of analog TV and CRT monitors. Historically, they were scanning left to right and top to bottom, so when the first digital computers came out, they had feed the CRT with data in that order for things to work out. And it just kinda stuck.
Sage
I read books like that, I see no problem with top left. I makes lots of things easier.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
I have actually begun to prefer the "old school" top left approach... makes me suck at algebra though Rasp

-CarbonX