forking socket

Atomical
Unregistered

I'm running my code through Xcode's debugger and I'm having problems. I forked the socket and it appears to be working right as I have stepped through the first part of the program that forked and am now inside the function I designated for the fork.

Code:
int bufvalue = 0;
char *buf = (char *)malloc(2000*sizeof(char)+1);
//read the info from the client  
while ( (charsread = recv(sock, buf, 2000, 0)) != 0 && charsread != -1 ) {
    header = (char *)realloc(header,(bufvalue+=strlen(buf))*sizeof(char)+1);
    strcat(header,buf);
    bzero(buf,strlen(buf));
}

Once I get to this part it runs through the code once and on the second time it says Stepping... at the status bar at the top and just stops. No segfault happens. It just hangs.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
recv blocks until there's data on the socket, doesn't it? could that be happening?
if you pause, what function is it in?
Atomical
Unregistered

void dostuff (int sock, storage* ads)

I think I know what you're saying. However, it is loading all the data that my php script is sending to it. I verified that with Xcodes panel to the upper right.
Sage
The exit condition for the while loop is when the stream goes dry right? I haven't used streams in C much, so I'm guessing that recv() returning -1 means EOF right? If that is the case, are you closing the stream on the other end?
Atomical
Unregistered

I need to keep the stream open so I can send data back to it.
Sage
Atomical Wrote:I need to keep the stream open so I can send data back to it.
Back from the C-side? If it's bidirectional, then you actually have two separate parts of the socket don't you? At least in Ruby, when you have a stream with input and output, you can close the only the read or write end stream. You send something, close the write end so that the other side gets an EOF. When the other side is done it closes it's end so that the first side gets an EOF and goes along it's merry way.

Is that the way streams work in C too?
Atomical
Unregistered

I don't think so.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ruby: Socket woes Skorche 2 3,382 Jun 26, 2004 10:16 AM
Last Post: Skorche