Death of the MMORPG

Luminary
http://www.gamergod.com/article_display....cle_id=233

And good riddance, I say... it's a long time since there was any role playing done, it's all about statistics and items and levels.

Let the role play belong to experimental games like Black and White and Fable for a while, where choices can have consequence and immersion isn't broken by 1337-5p33k.

Let the MMO experience belong to the genres that are already its forte -- FPS, 3rd person hack-and-slash, etc, for a while.

Maybe eventually someone will figure out how to bring the two back together, but I tend to agree with the article, the divorce should be permanent. Small multiplayer role-playing games that you can play with a small trusted group over a LAN or the Internet, fine, but put the emphasis back on the role-playing rather than leveling up.
Quote this message in a reply
Amen. May Pong live long.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Sage
Very true!
It seemed like a good idea to have everyone play the same game at once but it can hardly be immersive role playing if everyone out there is just playing as themselves when in non online RPGs everyone you come into contact with has personality and history in the game which puts you in the world much more. or at least thats how I feel......

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
OneSadCookie Wrote:http://www.gamergod.com/article_display....cle_id=233
Let the MMO experience belong to the genres that are already its forte -- FPS, 3rd person hack-and-slash, etc, for a while.

After playing FPS, RTS, RPGs, and every other online type of game I have to say that World of Warcraft is by far my favorite game. Why should the MMO be limited to the types of game you suggest? There is obviously a lot of support for WoW because they have over 3.5 million subscribers.

The point that MMORPGs are item grabbing fests doesn't agree with my experience. I can not believe how mature and nice everyone is. People are more involved with guilds and even random parties than in other smaller games like Diablo 2. I can't think of a time (and I'm level 60) where I was partying on a quest and someone was being selfish with quest items.

But on the other side I wish there was more of a point to MMORPGS. They should have required certain quests to advance past the game, because theoretically someone could grind to lv 60 without talking to one NPC.
I used to MUD. The problem with mmorpg's is that there aren't enough people to govern an entire player base. Or if there are, they do it inappropriately, letting players play the admin characters, who in turn have favorites. I've played two seperate MUD's, one of them, Dragon's Gate(used to be available on AOL) actually had amazing roleplay, throughout the entire MUD. You were watched like a hawk for speaking out of character, and that worked pretty well, it's a good game for $10/month.
I started with MUDs too, Gemstone III specifically, which was also accessible from AOL. It was great fun- there was a good amount of roleplaying going on, and even the grinding was fun (the text-based critical hits were all classic. "Massive shot obliterates head and turns brain into a fine red mist!")

It's been a steep downhill ride from there. Playing an MMORPG is like constantly incrementing numbers by hand, one by one in an Excel spreadsheet 80 hours a week while surrounded by three thousand screaming children that are all somehow able to kick your ass.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
I say let's have an MMO that leaves humans out of the picture. It would run as a daemon. Millions of computers, battling it out against each other - AI vs. AI style. Then, one day, a few of the computers become self-aware, and start developing games for humans. Smile
enigmax
Unregistered

it is all about balance, MMOG require a greate level of development that goes into them making them "greate games". it is not a just a game because how many levels you get or how many times you beat the game. what it comes down to is the level of enjoyment you got form the game making you go back more and more and each time, finding that there may or may not been something that you have not seen or done before, thats the true reason we play theres MMOG, and years from now when we look back on the "greate games" of our times (FF,FABLE) we will rember it not just as a game that we enjoyed but also of that which we faught beside a fellow conquer for the same golden reason, to become the "hero", and not in life, maybe in some computer generated world... Smile
They will never truly die as long as there is a noob in the forums asking how to make one...

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Sage
Ive always kinda thought that GTA would be fun as a massive multiplayer but I guess it would really be role play... Wink

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Quote from the article:

Quote:The divorce of MMO and RPG has been a very public and extremely messy one, unfortunately. The sordid details can be found in any trashy, gossip message board across the internet

Anyone care to tell me what actually happened? I thought MMORPG were still the best selling games on PCs...

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:Anyone care to tell me what actually happened? I thought MMORPG were still the best selling games on PCs...

MMORPG may be best selling PCs games but they are not played in the spirit that they are meant to be,

MMORPG do not actually contain the RPG part any more. People just play them to get as much as they can and get good stats instead of Role Playing the characters.
hmmm... probably online rpg's forget about the story, which remains in single player RPGs (like the Avernum series, Baldur's gate etc.). Also diablo forgot about the story. But then back in the days also Angband and the other roguelike did, centering the game on stats, items and combat strategy. So I dont really think it's news.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
I don't see what the discrepancy is here. Most real tabletop rpgs I played degenerated into the same kind of munchkinism. That's why Magic:The Gathering does so well. It took the best part of D&D (killing and becoming godlike) and removed all that complex role playing stuff.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:Most real tabletop rpgs I played degenerated into the same kind of munchkinism. That's why Magic:The Gathering does so well. It took the best part of D&D (killing and becoming godlike) and removed all that complex role playing stuff.

I guess it all depends on the type of people you played the games with.

This appears to what of happened in the land of MMORPG. A minority of people want to play them and role play them properly, yet the masses have just turned them in to 'mine is bigger than yours' romps. So those who are looking for a proper role playing game using the internet to create a world wide room now have to look else where. The term RPG seems to of been stolen by the kids and its meaning lost.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sex, death and games David 99 41,907 Feb 5, 2003 09:53 PM
Last Post: Feanor