What about Flash? Can we really make games with it?

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Quote this message in a reply
I hate most flash game sites, they're usually full of popups and malware more than any other site

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:I hate most flash game sites, they're usually full of popups and malware more than any other site
I agree - and yet that is really a criticism of the business model of most flash sites than of flash itself which I happen to think is pretty powerful for 2d games.
I think its hard to get users to pay for online Flash games. I think its probably easier to get someone to pay $19.95 for a game app that they have to download and install on their pc than play in their browser whenever they want. Which of course leaves the producer to put up lots of ads and pop-ups and such.

But maybe its an opportunity if along with great Flash games you can create ads in a way that is more effective and less annoying - or a subscription model that users are ok with or something.
The best option is to combine Flash with Director. In Director you can make a Projector which is basically a standalone program.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
My main objection to Flash is that the player seems much slower on a Mac than a comparable PC. It might behoove Apple to put some effort into that. Like it or not, Flash is a standard.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Dofus is an MMORPG done in Flash. It actually works rather well.
Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:My main objection to Flash is that the player seems much slower on a Mac than a comparable PC. It might behoove Apple to put some effort into that. Like it or not, Flash is a standard.

I remember when I had a computer that could boot into Mac OS 9, Flash was MUCH faster back in OS 9. There is something terribly inefficient that they must be doing with their later players. I thought it might be the double buffering, but that's silly considering how well QuickTime works with Quartz Extreme.

I call shenanigans on them.

-Jon
one letter

N

one of the greatest and most addictive games ever made. i prefer this than any of the other games i have at the moment. its taken me about 2 months to beat eps 00-24, 30-32, 60-61, 70-72, 90-91 this game is so ridiculusly addictive and attractive. think lode runner with a sexual physics engine, mario 64 style wall-kicking and super ninja jumping.
my greatest memory of this game, i cant remember which level, running from 3 rockets, machine gun fire a homing-bot and a thwump (not that any of that jargon means anything to non-n players)
Apprentice
megabassjosh plays N
I was thinking about flash but was wondering, Which flash versions will work on OSX? I was looking at older flash versions like 4 or 5 to play with seeing as they aren't as pricey compared to MX, MX2004 or the upcoming 8. I don't have the MacOS compatibility layer installed on my machine anymore and don't really plan on reinstalling it.
Zekaric Wrote:I was thinking about flash but was wondering, Which flash versions will work on OSX? I was looking at older flash versions like 4 or 5 to play with seeing as they aren't as pricey compared to MX, MX2004 or the upcoming 8. I don't have the MacOS compatibility layer installed on my machine anymore and don't really plan on reinstalling it.
Then you'll find you can't make a mac os x standalone, only mac os 9. Also, it's impossible to use flash 5 without classic.
You can ofcourse make .swfs which will play on mac os x, just not the standalones - which the windows ones of which should work.
Should be easy to make a QuickTime based flash standalone player using QTKit or even WebKit that'd work with whatever.

-Jon
So I have to look at MX and higher if I want anything to work on OSX. Thanks!

Standalone wasn't my big concern. I was mainly looking for web site work or play in a browser only.
You could also join the next wave rather than the old one and go with Unity ;-)

Nicholas Francis
http://www.otee.dk