I'd like to learn BASIC

Apprentice
Does anyone know a good place to learn BASIC from? I don't really know anything about coding and obviously, thats the first place to start in game design. I've been looking at Dim3 (free 3d game engine: Klinksoftware.com) which uses JavaScript. But it is kind of limited, and i'd definetly want to know more about this. Also, if theres a much better language for this kind of thing (I can't even tell the difference Wacko ) could you let me know? Anything is appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
http://www.iit.edu/%7Esarimar/GDS/DL/metal-173.sit

Get it working run the examples then look at the code then youl probably be able to program.
Its really easy give it your best shot and dont give up if you get lost of errors because you can just fix them, persistence is very important when learning to program.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
You might also want to look at TNT Basic which is going to be free and should be updated in the next few weeks...

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Dark Helmet Wrote:I've been looking at Dim 3 (free 3d game engine: Klinksoftware.com) which uses javascript.

Dim3 and/or Javascript are not as limited as you think
Here are JavaScript Games
Google Javascript for games

BASIC languages are not the droids you are looking for.
But if you can't resist:
Google Basic for games
Chipmunk Basic is free, can run in Terminal too.

[url= http://www.arkham-development.com/index.htm]AntiRyad GX[/url] uses BASIC as a scripting language in for 3D games.
Founder
>Chipmunk BASIC
Yes, good suggestion. Very very simple. But if he finds that dim3 limited, Chipmunk BASIC is sure to be more so.

There are three actively supported BASIC tools on the Mac (at the time of this writing and outside of Chipmunk, and various open source projects):
REALbasic, FutureBasic, and BltizBasic. You should be able to get a limited demo of all three tools if I recall. Please Google.

You should also look into PyGame.

You didn't mention the type of games you want to create, so I'm not sure if you would be interested in the scrolling game engine that was recently released. See the announcements board.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Apprentice
I may have phrased that first post wrong. It isn't the java script thats limited (you CAN do a lot withit) but dim3. Now, I love dim 3 a lot but certain elements (turn based, realtime menus) won't be availble for a long time aperantly. Also, what if I want to make a 2d game?

Also, Maybe basic isn't the best one to use, but it just seems the most, umm. basic, and easiest to learn first.

THanks to everyone.
I used REALbasic a few years ago, and if it's gotten better at the same rate that it was then since I left it it's probably a great tool for creating turn-based 2d games.

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Sage
BASIC is, in my opinion, the easiest to learn because it doesn't have as many syntax things to it. C/C++ has {}'s and ;'s all over the place. I learned BASIC a while ago. I would suggest BlitzMax as well. I guess it's sort of like a BASIC language (very easy to pick up with time) and can also be 2D or 3D using OpenGL built it. It's a really nifty set up.
Sage
I leaned apple script first off then then java script and java. But while I was learning the last two I picked up many other languages without really noticing like BASIC, (some) C and brainfuck!

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
I stand by my statement. Metal is dead and only likely to break more with future releases of OS X. The next TNT will be compatible with Tiger and its now free. It is focused on making 2d games and includes a pretty decent tile map editor to boot.

If $ is not a concern, Blitz is much more powerful.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
If you want something even more basic than BASIC check out Dreamcard

Very easy.