Probably the best md2 tutorial I've seen.

http://tfc.duke.free.fr/old/models/md2.htm

Covers the format and how to render them. Nice.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
I agree...
Now who wants to Macify it. Rasp
Lots of code on how to read it, but there is no Mac application I'm aware of that can export in that format.

Can somebody please make an exporter for a couple of apps:

Cinema 4D
Lightwave 3D
Maya
Blender

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Very nice article.

Taxxodium Wrote:Lots of code on how to read it, but there is no Mac application I'm aware of that can export in that format.

Can somebody please make an exporter for a couple of apps:

Cinema 4D
Lightwave 3D
Maya
Blender

There's a Blender MD2 exporter. I've been using it for over a year.

http://bane.servebeer.com/programming/bl...index.html
Taxxodium Wrote:Lots of code on how to read it, but there is no Mac application I'm aware of that can export in that format.

I should make a macro for this link. I post it so often.

Misfit Model 3D---make md2s on a Mac---Yes! A Mac

You can preview them in Pakrat.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
⌘-R in Chief
Blender exports and I already have MD2 code on my website.
Blender killed Elvis...and almost got me, too.

To each their own. I think MM3D is much easier to pick up. Works similarly to Meshwork but...works.

A link for the lazy to Seth's md2 loader. A heck of a lot easier to understand than the tutorial's source, imho.
⌘-R in Chief
Yeah...... I've got other code for stuff, but I'm technically not supposed to give it out....
Daniel_Lurie Wrote:Blender killed Elvis...and almost got me, too.

LOL My new email signature... Rasp

OK, joking aside, I never managed to get Blender to export textured md2 files, and I used the exporter Bachus linked. Annoyed

Are there any special steps you have to take before exporting?
It doesn't export the actual texture file, but it should include the UV coordinates in the MD2.

That exporter isn't perfect as it doesn't export a lot of stuff (like GL commands), but it should export the vertices, uv coordinates, triangle data, and frame data just fine, which is all you really need for a simple MD2 file. It may require a little editing to get working just right (like setting the number of frames if it's not 192), but the last I fiddled with it was over a year ago.

I seem to recall someone (Johan maybe) making a small tool that combined a bunch of single .obj files into an MD2, which is what I used back before I got into Blender. No idea where you'd find it now though.
Bachus Wrote:I seem to recall someone (Johan maybe) making a small tool that combined a bunch of single .obj files into an MD2, which is what I used back before I got into Blender. No idea where you'd find it now though.

Oh, I made one Wink . OK, it didn't exactly create an md2 - I didn't want to encode vertices as shorts, nor did I care about building glcommands, just plain old triangles. Other than that my ".jig" format is practically the same.

I'll try the exporter again, since I too haven't used it in a long while. I'll give MM3D a try too.