What is the best book for learning C?

title says it all.

I'm just about to buy a book but there are dozens out there and I'm not sure which one to get. I have been looking at and working with obj-c for a long time, but I don't think I'll be able to get much further without a textbook on C development. Any suggestions?
Quote this message in a reply
I learnt C from a very old (1997-era) edition of Dave Mark's excellent Learn C on the Mac; (Amazon) I'm not sure what changes are in the latest edition though, aside from being reworked to reference Xcode rather than CodeWarrior...

Mark Bishop
Sage
I'd recommend getting a reference manual at the same time. It won't be useful right away, but once you pick up the vocabulary it'll make it much easier to find what you need to know.
I'll second both of those suggestions. I also originally learned C from Dave Mark's book back in like 1990 or so - on a Mac Classic! That book was so old it used a slimmed down version of Think C on a floppy in the back cover instead of Codewarrior on a CD-ROM. I haven't read the new version but I can't hardly imagine that it isn't fully acceptable if it was reworked for Xcode. For the reference manual, "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Richie is considered the C bible by pretty much everyone.

BTW, you'll notice I didn't put a link to K&R above. That was on purpose. When I was learning to program I had to actually get off my dead butt and *walk* to the library for it. The least you could do is an Amazon search for it yourself! Hehe.
noerhcana
Unregistered

I found 'Beginning C' by Ivor Horton (Amazon) very useful. The K & R (Amazon) may be a bit too steep to start off with.

noerhcana.
Sage
noerhcana Wrote:I found 'Beginning C' by Ivor Horton very useful. The K & R may be a bit too steep to start off with.

That's why it's a supplement to learning it with an introductory book.
Founder
I also bought 'Learn C on the Mac', a timeless book. Smile

Sam's 'Programming in C' (Amazon), which I have a review copy, seems to be very nice, and looking at the reviews on Amazon, it seems others would agree with that.

I recall a news story on iDG not long ago from a developer that has an electronic book -- perhaps by Dave Mark? Google Spider-something.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Google Spider-something.
That's the link I posted earlier, above; the book is available as a payware ebook, and there is also a 'preview' ebook available for download from that same link.

p.s. Carlos, when you edited my post you inserted a link to the old edition Wink Although I don't know whether the new edition has a dead-tree version Huh

Mark Bishop
and there's always the classic K & R

note: I haven't read the K & R, but I've heard good things about it.... I've also heard bad things about it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Learning basic language krzykorean 13 5,483 Jan 2, 2008 06:39 PM
Last Post: Duane
  Ruby: Resources for Learning iefan 10 6,677 Jul 4, 2007 08:54 AM
Last Post: ALX99066