Homegrown Gamedev Tools

Nibbie
As I sit here, notionally at work, my mind wanders to all the nice extensibility I am working into my next game, and the tools I'm creating for it. I am by no stretch of the imagination a professional, or truly competent with any language, yet when I dig through my HD I find level editors, PFX generators and other tools, produced for projects, many of which I ignored once the project was abandoned. How many other people have tools they have produced, used or continue to use for their game developement? I'm interested in what tools you have produced, if you want to share them, and what kinds of tools you would find useful. So what homegrown tools do you have / use / want?
Quote this message in a reply
I can't think of a major project that I DIDN'T use a home-grown tool with. Unfortuately, they all only apply to the games/experiments I was working on.

In the case of Microbian: Fighter, for example, I used a set of custom functions/algorithms programmed in METAL to hand-shade the objects. Some of the results are pretty cool and make the work easier. Unfortunately, the grafics format used for our polygon models are all highly proprietary. This makes the tools of little to no use to anyone outside the project.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Dr. Light Wrote:In the case of Microbian: Fighter, for example, I used a set of custom functions/algorithms programmed in METAL to hand-shade the objects. Some of the results are pretty cool and make the work easier. Unfortunately, the grafics format used for our polygon models are all highly proprietary. This makes the tools of little to no use to anyone outside the project.

okay okay, I get what you saying Cry

next project we'll use completely open standards not concocted while I was on a caffeine binge while being a sophmore in college Wacko
I made FontMaker (code name), a Cocoa app for building OpenGL texture fonts, a little app to build "md2-like" 3D animation files from a series of OBJ keyframe files, and a few other highly specific (and highly useless now) tools.

FontMaker is available at my site, but I need to update it to use the improved version of the CFont class I made for Okugai. The other app is basically a hack, and I wrote it fairly quickly (and debugged it for weeks Rasp), so I didn't put it in my site - it would do more harm than good... Sneaky
Nibbie
Im working on some texture spawning apps. They would simulate things like plant growth, or people building walls within user parameters to produce textures. It would not be a realtime or upod-game-open tye of thing tho.
PowerMacX Wrote:...a little app to build "md2-like" 3D animation files from a series of OBJ keyframe files...

Could you elaborate on this? I'm currently toying with a similar horror...

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
⌘-R in Chief
Yes..... please post screen shots of your dev tools.... that's a very interesting idea.... Rosen, where are you? Smile
Nibbie
My game has a full in game level editor that does almost everything, and the rest is externally edited in text files or lua scripts.
I also have some misc. object building programs made in Metal to create those text files, and convert between formats.
Now that I think about it, I lie. I think the picture-font-making application might be useful, but SkyHawk would know that for sure.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
I've been thrilled with that picture font making thing... (I've never gotten it to work... but that is another story). Let me rephrase, I've been thrilled with the OUTPUT of the picture font making thing =D