Winners of '21-Days Later: Predator' Game Creation Contest Announced

Founder
iDevGames invited Mac developers to pay homage to our OS of choice by creating a mini Mac game within 21 days which places the player at the top of the food chain. Today, iDevGames announces the winners of the third '21-Days Later' game creation contest, 'Predator.' First place, with a score of 304 total points, is awarded to the team of Justin Ficarrotta (JustinFic), and Kyle Leary (CarbonX) for their entry, 'Arachnoid: Predator of Worlds.' William Hogben takes second place with 259 points with his entry for 'Personal Injury Lawyer.' Right behind him, in third place with 258 points is Stephen Johnson (Diordna) with his entry Bibble Biter. You can download these games, their source code, along with the other entries at the following link: http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9289. iDevGames would like to thank all entrants and contest sponsor, Spymac.com. For more free mini Mac game fun, be sure to check out the games from '21-Days Later: Accelerated' (http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8222) and '21-Days Later: Vectorized' (http://www.idevgames.com/contests/vectorized/id135/) contests.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
Hi, I'm psyched to see that I made second place in 21DL! Now I'm wondering what information you need from me and other developers in order to distribute the prizes.

Thanks, Will.
Congratulations to all!

Alex
Founder
Alex, I just need your blood type. Once Spymac's marketing person returns my last email, I will provide you with the details.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
Posted by Daniel, and moved to the correct place by Carlos:
Happy as I am to see the scores, could you post the breakdowns by category, Carlos?
Founder
Daniel, I can send you my .xls file if that is OK. Once I get a chance, I can post it in another format.

I should use this time to get feedback on an issue:

Like in the 'real world', there are games in the 21DL contests that just won't work on the judges' machines. Games that don't work get a zero. It has been this way since the start. Usually, the judges will mention they were unable to test a game. I don't have official instructions for them though. For example, "If you are unable to test the game, you must contact the developer." IMHO, a judge like Glenda Adams is very busy, and to have her participate at all is a bonus for this community if you look at the big picture. (Perhaps it might even lead to someone moving 'up' some day.) In addition, most of the judges being professional developers (i.e. they earn their living doing programming) have access to various Macs, so I assume they won't simply toss out a game if they get a black screen. So the questions are:

Do we leave it in the hands of the devs to do their best to get their mini games tested?
Should we worry about this issue at all, since it is 21DL, and not uDG?
Do you feel a zero, mimics the cold and brutal world, and that's that?

Please remember these points before your post on this topic:

1) Doing things at the end of the 21DL contest to insure that every possible action was taken to get the game running will cause a longer delay in announcing the winners -- something I think most entrants don't want.

2) It isn't easy to find full-time working developers who can take a break to judge a contest.

3) 21DL is ideal for me because it doesn't place a great work load on me, and one person (me) can run it. Adding new rules, new scoring, etc. from the way it is set up now will turn it into uDG, which I don't want. (i.e. more delays, greater stress, etc)

p.s. One small request, when posting your playable and code links, DON'T use file names with spaces in them! i.e. 'This is My game.dmg" --> "ThisIsMyGame.dmg"

p.s.2 With my being busy with moving during this contest, I apologize for the delay in getting the winners posted, and not collecting feedback from the judges. For the next 21DL contest, I'll have feedback high on the list of things to implement.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
I forgot to say that I sent out the news of the winners to about 2 dozen Mac sites yesterday. A quick scan sees the news on MacSurfer, MacMinute and MacGamer.

The official news from the sponsor can be found here:
http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread....did=188957

I'm posting this for those people in the future who will say "...and the winners were never announced."

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
It was another fun contest! Congrats to all the entrants, and thanks to Carlos, the judges and Spymac for sponsoring Smile

Carlos Camacho Wrote:I should use this time to get feedback on an issue:

Do we leave it in the hands of the devs to do their best to get their mini games tested?
Should we worry about this issue at all, since it is 21DL, and not uDG?
Do you feel a zero, mimics the cold and brutal world, and that's that?

The only thing I can think of would be to have final scores based on an average, and each crash would count as a deduction, maybe -1 off the average scale of 1-10. (It is a change in the scoring system and goes against your #3 point but maybe it won't be all that difficult to do?)

That way we can still leave it in the judges' hands on the point where a non-working game gets a zero or non-score, but it would be a smaller chunk off the final score than it is now, which is practically a disqualification.

What are other people's thoughts on this? I'm sure there's some solution that is the best of both speed and scoring worlds.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
I think its fine as it is. Granted its hard to get a lot of beta testing done on a 3 week game where you may not have a playable til 2 weeks into it, but...that's life. Deal with it.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Sage
Well, I guess I feel a bit gyped. By the looks of the numbers, I might have taken second. On the other hand, it seems most likely that it didn't run because I decided not to support 10.2. (Although, I'd think most of the judges would have 10.3.9 or higher considering that they are Mac professionals and all.)

If it was a 10.2 issue, then people need to know what the minimum spec'ed system that the judges are going to be using. The rules only said that it needed to run on OSX. The only person I can remember saying that they couldn't run my game didn't have 10.3.9.
I had the same sort of scenario with iDevil. My game wouldn't get past level 1 for 1 judge and my score plummeted.

What do you propose they do with the score if a judge can't run your game?

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Skorche Wrote:Well, I guess I feel a bit gyped.

Everyone who doesn't win a prize always feels this way, me included. And I personally think you have a valid complaint - your scores really were the highest next to Justin's. (nice job Justin!) And the judge you got zeros from was the judge that was giving out the highest overall points, the "kindest" judge as it were, so I believe you would have probably gone up to #2. I loved X-Fish, by the way.

I guess we must understand that this is all part of competition - 'dem's the breaks sometimes.

Quote:If it was a 10.2 issue, then people need to know what the minimum spec'ed system that the judges are going to be using. The rules only said that it needed to run on OSX. The only person I can remember saying that they couldn't run my game didn't have 10.3.9.
That is true, if this was the issue, a minimum system requirement would have been very helpful.

However, my game was supposed to run on every Mac OS X version back to 10.1, and one of the judges (a different one) could not play it. I have never had a bug report on any of my games (all made with the same development tool, MetaCard / Revolution) that a user simply could not run it, so I want to nip this bug right now if it exists.

I do not want to have sour grapes here, and I don't think my post has come across this way; if it has I apologize. But I think there is a valid issue to be taken up here for future 21DLs.

Perhaps 80% of the lowest judge's overall score should be the score of the judge who could not get it to run?

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Sage
funkboy Wrote:Everyone who doesn't win a prize always feels this way, me included.
I guess I wasn't trying to sound whiney. I don't feel gyped by anyone or thing, just dissapointed in general. I knew that my target audience was limited, but I didn't think it would affect the judging. (unless this wasn't the issue.) I think that judging machine specs should be posted. I don't particlarly think that a sample of four can represent cold harsh reality. (although it often is as cold and harsh for reasons just as unfair or unexpected)
funkboy Wrote:That is true, if this was the issue, a minimum system requirement would have been very helpful.

There wasn't one? The last two contests specified 10.3 as the minium system that the game needed to run on.

Hm, I just checked the rules and a minimum system requirement was never specified. How'd we miss that one? Well, maybe if a game doesn't run, we could have the crash log anonymously posted (ie, so we don't know which judge it came from) and we could poke at it and figure out what made the game crash and see if it's a problem with the game or with the judge's computer.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Daniel_Lurie Wrote:I had the same sort of scenario with iDevil. My game wouldn't get past level 1 for 1 judge and my score plummeted.

What do you propose they do with the score if a judge can't run your game?

Same thing happened with Space Barrage, which was easily the best game of the bunch (IMHO).

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A great game development contest I think you should know about ninjandroid 0 2,103 Nov 13, 2012 02:55 AM
Last Post: ninjandroid
  Viope game programming contest hongviope 0 2,828 Sep 27, 2012 12:48 AM
Last Post: hongviope
  Monthy Game Developer Contest Kaneva 0 3,998 Jul 12, 2010 07:39 AM
Last Post: Kaneva
  uDevGames 2008 Winners igame3d 25 14,338 Mar 18, 2009 02:39 PM
Last Post: skwirl42
  Unity Game Development Contest - Are you the Top DOG? HiggyB 8 8,037 Aug 9, 2007 12:47 PM
Last Post: PatrickA