stack overflow creating a vertex buffer?

Code:
//Initialize ARB
    glGenBuffersARB(1, &bufferIdentifier);
    glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, bufferIdentifier);
int bufferLength = m_maxParticles * 3 * 4 * sizeof(GLfloat);
    glBufferDataARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, bufferLength, NULL, GL_STREAM_DRAW_ARB);
    GLenum er = glGetError();

It's producing an error value of 1283, which is 0x0503 and a GL_STACK_OVERFLOW error. Unless my math is off, what's going on here? It's not a memory error, and it shouldn't be, since even with 10000 particles that's only a half a megabyte, and with 128 megabytes of VRAM, that's not even a dent.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
the stack overflow can only come from glPushMatrix, I believe. Those calls aren't at fault. Use the OpenGL profiler's break on error functionality to find the real culprit.
Huh, yeah, you're right. I found a glPushMatrix in another part of my code that I accidentaly wrote glPushMatrix when I was trying to pop it back off. Odd thing is, it's never caused a problem and that bit of code has been in there since the beginning. Will a GL_STACK_OVERFLOW error just disallow any further stack manipulations instead of terminate the program?
Luminary
yup.

you should always check for GL errors at least once per frame.
How does glGetError determine which error it produces? If there are multiple errors, does it return the most recent or the most important(program terminating errors)?
Sage
There can be multiple errors flagged simultaneously. They are returned in unspecified order.
Check this spec and then this example code.

Basically, you need to call glGetError in a loop.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vertex buffer generation and rendering iphone eliscool 2 2,736 Dec 17, 2008 05:57 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  New Apple Render to Vertex Buffer Sample OneSadCookie 13 7,557 Oct 15, 2006 01:10 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie