So you want to make a MMORPG

The fact that you think you can just go out and make an MMORPG, even with a few others, makes you a n00b. Or thinking you could just learn how to program while making an MMORPG. Along with ignoring the advice of other, more experienced people. And thinking that without any skills, you could magically create a team of people to become slaves of your ideas. At age 13. Get realistic, programming takes a lot more than you think, and you will need a few years of experience before you're anywhere near the level necessary to create an MMORPG. And that's assuming you're talented. (doubtful, if you're having trouble with a JavaScript hello world)

I'm sure most of us have had dreams of grandure when we've started, but most of us have quickly realized after beginning to learn what's involved that it isn't s easy as it looks. And I'm sure most of us here don't really care about making an MMORPG. Rasp
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
ok ive admitted to being a noob and that "learn to program while making" was a bit stupid but i did not ignore other ,more experienced people ( though i did missinterpret them) ad i didnt think that i could create an mmorpg (though the way i wrote at the start suggested that was what i was asking) i wasnt asking people to join my team. i was asking for help (links to tutorials, tips on how to start e.t.c.) i know programmings hard my neighbour is doing it in uni .oh and by the way im not having trouble with the java code.... i just cant get the damn download to work!!!
Apprentice
Dirox Wrote:who's the **** is with me
ill join you if you want me (im probably the only 1 who will) im not brilliant but i might be able to help you with the art side and general stuff (though im no good at coding ...)
evildemonlucas Wrote:ok ive admitted to being a noob and that "learn to program while making" was a bit stupid but i did not ignore other ,more experienced people ( though i did missinterpret them) ad i didnt think that i could create an mmorpg (though the way i wrote at the start suggested that was what i was asking) i wasnt asking people to join my team. i was asking for help (links to tutorials, tips on how to start e.t.c.) i know programmings hard my neighbour is doing it in uni .oh and by the way im not having trouble with the java code.... i just cant get the damn download to work!!!

There is a BIG difference between Java and Javascript...
Apprentice
I haven't lost my grandiose dreams of incredible, groundbreaking programs, but one thing I've definitely learned while teaching myself programming is this:

Ideas Are Next to Worthless

Everybody has ideas. Some people have the work ethic, dedication, and skills to turn their ideas into beautiful works of art, but for everyone of those guys there's about a million lazy jerks trying to push their "brilliant" idea onto them.

If you think you want to make an MMORPG, it sounds to me like you just want to be creative. Go learn something. Learn to write well, draw, program, mold with clay, make paperclip models, whatever it is, just do it for the sake of learning a new skill.

Along the way, you're probably gonna realize that making an MMORPG isn't exactly what you want to do. You're going to learn how to do things that you never even considered before, that are going to be alot more interesting, and actually artistic. They'll be a representation of your own creative side, rather than a useless, jumbled idealist view of someone else's creation.

Trust me, I have more ideas of games and programs than I'll ever have the time or expertise to complete, and so do most of the other programmers on this board. If you want to design games, start developing some useful skills - artistic or programming or whatever - and If you ever want to be the head of a big project, don't neglect your people skills.
I wonder how many people posting in this thread have actually successfully developed an MMORPG vs. how many haven't vs. how many have tried and have failed.

Word of advice to the inexperienced: don't take no for an answer (unless it was a YES/NO question).

If you truly want to do something...you will make it happen...otherwise you really didn't want to do it in the first place.

But you aren't going to find the "Holy Bible of MMORPGs" anywhere on Google, so I suggest that you start compiling a vast wealth of knowledge from research.
Luminary
I wonder whether we should have an "MMORPGs" sub-forum that doesn't show up in the normal "new posts" list ^_^
It doesn't take a master architect to say you can't build the Empire State building with a few toothpicks, some Elmer's glue, and the ability to make a card house.
Quote:Ideas Are Next to Worthless

This is a stereotipe that is ultimately bullshit.

Ideas alone are worth nothing, as is code alone.

Once you are a decent coder, a *great* idea is worth a lot. Good ideas are still worthless though Rasp

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Sage
I wish I had so many ideas I thought they were worthless.. I can come up with nothing recently.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Apprentice
ok then do you want mine ( ican already guess from the annoyances of other people in this forum im never gonna get my thing off the ground)
The Him
Unregistered

*Sigh* Evildemonlucas - I speak as a graduate of this thread ( don't post much, just read) That If you want to make an MMO, good luck. I personally hold the opinion that this thread is a bit harsh on little n00bs who haven't yet realized just how hard things are and how many complications arise when you try to do something. Let me outline the skills you will need to learn to create an MMORPG, this is a very incomplete list by the way.

-learn 3d modeling skills (ie. maya or 3dMax are good ones)

-learn java, not javaSCRIPT - java is far more powerful that javascript

-become familiar with how a server works.

-be prepared to invest copious amounts of time to get it done
and lastly...
-Have FUNDING! it is not possible to build an mmo without sspening a little coin.

If you can do all of the above; good job! you can go ahead and start researching on how you want to start making it - if not, read on;

A good way to get in on the MMO scene is to use middleware, I think that

http://www.multiverse.net

is good, but its still in the beta. Oh and its Windows specific for those mac users reading this.

And lastly, to keep in mind how hard developing one can be, I have an example-

-I started out 4 years ago with absolutely no experience whatsoever developing games, but a vision. Now, six years later I finally feel comfortable enough to start developing the game using middleware, and I just recently have started as of a week ago, which inspired me to come back to where I first found the website that had a little info on MMO and game programming that I could use. And I went back to the same thread I read a while back that first mentioned MMO development, and now here I am.

Cheers!
-The Him
The Him Wrote:I started out 4 years ago with absolutely no experience whatsoever developing games, but a vision. Now, six years later...
Funny Rasp

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, I hope you aren't planning on doing the whole thing by yourself. If that's the case, it will be another 600 years until you finish. Wink
The Him
Unregistered

oops, crappy math and datework there, huh? w/e, u get my point

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No, I do not want to make an MMORPG but please tell me how long this would take filfil96 4 4,402 Apr 21, 2009 03:09 AM
Last Post: filfil96
  So you want to make a MMORPG? Joseph Duchesne 0 14,304 Apr 6, 2006 12:17 PM
Last Post: Joseph Duchesne